Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/13/2007 4:45:35 AM EDT
So, I notified my supervisor yesterday that I will not be able to go into work on wednesday because something has come up. He's like "this is too short of a notice"

Wednesday was going to be my last day. I was schudeled to work about 3 hours. This job was a 4 week part-time contract and I was .  The reason why I am not able to go in is because I accepted a job for the day which is going to make me 6 times the money I would make with this other job. Of course I didn't tell this to my supervisor.

So ARFCOM what do you think? Money talks and bull shit walks right.

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:51:57 AM EDT
[#1]
If you are doing contract jobs your boss needs to understand that this is what he gets for hiring contractors.

Cheap way out isnt always the cheap way out
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:53:50 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
So, I notified my supervisor yesterday that I will not be able to go into work on wednesday because something has come up. He's like "this is too short of a notice"

Wednesday was going to be my last day. I was schudeled to work about 3 hours. This job was a 4 week part-time contract and I was .  The reason why I am not able to go in is because I accepted a job for the day which is going to make me 6 times the money I would make with this other job. Of course I didn't tell this to my supervisor.

Werd    
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 4:53:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:09:06 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Money talks and bull shit walks right.

Wrong. Not when you agreed to perform the job at the price offered. In other words, you're a whore who goes for the money and any agreement you may make is meaningless,,as is your word.

Sorry, but I'm a contractor too so I understand. But at the time, your current client's job was good enough for you to accept initially. You agreed to the job and the pay. Now it's not good enough because you got a better offer and your willing to go back on your word to go for the other job. You're no different than the slackers in the EE who commit to buy then disappear.

Not that it matters, but do what you want. I'm sure someone with integrity will pick up the pieces.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:15:56 AM EDT
[#5]
3 hours? Do both.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:16:15 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not with me.

You make a deal with me, I hold up my end of it.

I dont care if I get offered 10 times the money.

My good word goes WAY beyond money.

But what if the contact said you'd be working a minimum of 30 hours a week, but it turns out you're working 16 hours if that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:16:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
3 hours? Do both.

1 starts at 6 the other starts at 6:45
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:24:11 AM EDT
[#8]
You are in Virginia.  Virginia is an "at will" employment state.  Unless your employment contract stipulated how it was to be terminated (e.g. 30 days notice), you can legally walk off the job with no notice.

FWIW if you had in writing in your contract that you were to work 30 yours per week, and your employer only gave you 16, then I'd consider the employer in breach and tell him to get bent.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:33:14 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You are in Virginia.  Virginia is an "at will" employment state.  Unless your employment contract stipulated how it was to be terminated (e.g. 30 days notice), you can legally walk off the job with no notice.

FWIW if you had in writing in your contract that you were to work 30 yours per week, and your employer only gave you 16, then I'd consider the employer in breach and tell him to get bent.

Well they covered their ass by stating "needs may change".
The thing is I never put in any where near 30 hours from the word go.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:36:01 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:
3 hours? Do both.

1 starts at 6 the other starts at 6:45

Tell him you can come in early. Or late.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 5:40:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Can't you tell the second job that you will start at 10 that day due to previous comitments?  That's how I would try to work it.  If the second jobs wants you as a bad as it sounds they will understand.

Otherwise you will get a bad rep when it comes to companies contracting you.  Believe me, companies talk.  There are 3 major cities in central Kentucky located hours apart.  People I have worked with have come up in conversation in each city when talking to totally unrelated companies.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:01:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Can't you tell the second job that you will start at 10 that day due to previous comitments?  That's how I would try to work it.  If the second jobs wants you as a bad as it sounds they will understand.

Otherwise you will get a bad rep when it comes to companies contracting you.  Believe me, companies talk.  There are 3 major cities in central Kentucky located hours apart.  People I have worked with have come up in conversation in each city when talking to totally unrelated companies.

Well the schedule for the first job is a little screwed up to begin with. I'm installing wireless routers at different fast food joints in the area. Most of them only serve lunch so I would go in at 7 and be done by 9:30 so the store can open at 10.
The last few jobs are "breakfast" sites. I'm told to get there at 6, they open at 6. I can't work when they are open. . I ran into that problem last week and they still haven't figured out what they are going to do.

There is no way in hell I'm doing installs at 3:30 in the freaking morning; that was never agreed on and  I'm not going to get myself killed because I lost my balance on a ladder because I'm too freaking tired. These locations aren't close either. I have to drive an hour to get to them.

Chances are, even if I never accepted this other job making 6x pay, I won't be going in on Tuesday or Wednesday. Gotta have a plan that works not matter what anyone else does.

Ok enough ranting.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:30:16 AM EDT
[#13]
If they have spent the entire time jerking you around, then they won't mind a little in return.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top