Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2007 8:27:30 PM EDT
youtube.com/watch?v=-o3BBr2HIhA

Channel 5 Local Fox News affiliate report in Jersey City, New Jersey on a 2-car accident where one of the vehicles was carrying a box which was emitting a large amount of radioactivity. The driver of the car in question fled the scene on foot but was apparently apprehended some time later.
ETA: I fixed the thread title because I suck at spelling.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:29:29 PM EDT
[#1]
You gotta be F'ing kidding me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:29:54 PM EDT
[#2]
a trunk full of fireworks from the 4th...

move along.... nothing to see here
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:36:21 PM EDT
[#3]
Medical radionucleides.

Of course, the driver was probably "Juan Gonzales" with a SSN of 123-45-6789
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Not terrorism.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:40:01 PM EDT
[#5]
Raises the question... Do you think they would really tell the public? I'm mixed on that question, because on the one hand it could do wonders to increase awareness, but on the other hand, it could make people panicky and create the terror that the terrorists are trying to create. You know there's stuff that's almost happened that they never told us about. Think this might be one that a little too much info leaked out ahead of time?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:46:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:47:54 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Raises the question... Do you think they would really tell the public? I'm mixed on that question, because on the one hand it could do wonders to increase awareness, but on the other hand, it could make people panicky and create the terror that the terrorists are trying to create. You know there's stuff that's almost happened that they never told us about. Think this might be one that a little too much info leaked out ahead of time?

Short answer?

Unless there was a major uncontrolled event, NO.

Rule #1 - don't stampede the herd (and there is some validity for this line of thinking, not only will panic likely cause more casualties than an actual event, but the financial ramifications would be huge)

That being said, it undermines confidence in .gov when they say "not terrorism" before they have a handle on what they are dealing with.

Solution? Plan for yourselves, when it happens, yall will be on your own.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:49:10 PM EDT
[#8]
That guy has to be the worst "on the scene" reporter I've ever seen.

Even his anchor woman appeared to be having trouble figuring out what he said.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:53:42 PM EDT
[#9]
What happened to the one in Charleston last week or two??

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:55:11 PM EDT
[#10]
There are many reasons radiactive materials could be in the trunk of a car.

Smoke Detectors emit radiation.

Medical devices emit radiation.

Survey Equpment emits radiation.

Hell, go in for a bone scan and you'll emit substancial radiation for a few days.

But, the media needs stories and even the mundane can be huge
on a slow news day.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:59:43 PM EDT
[#11]
If they wanna find a dirty bomb, they need to bring their detectors over to my place on days I'm eating lots of pinto beans or broccoli! I'm sure I'd be emitting something toxic and/or radioactive!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:00:17 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
That guy has to be the worst "on the scene" reporter I've ever seen.

Even his anchor woman appeared to be having trouble figuring out what he said.

+1  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:02:40 PM EDT
[#13]
The anchorette's cleavage was worthwhile.

The report was, um, well, interesting.

Here's the kicker: how often do you do a rad survey for a fender bender?

Are responders in NJ now equipped with rad pagers? (wouldn't be surprising in light of the recent scare) - still, a little odd...

most likely a med or industrial source, possibly stolen, would be interesting to know what it was emitting...

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:05:38 PM EDT
[#14]
did they pull that guy from the street and give him a mic?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:08:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
What happened to the one in Charleston last week or two??

Every threat that's been reported on lately has been bullshit.  I didn't bother watching the video because I already know it will be sensationalized bullshit.

Just watch any of the major news networks - it's all alarmist bunk that's being spewed out in a desperate attempt for ratings.  If this keeps up, no one is going to believe it when something really does happen.  The media has been crying wolf for far too long.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:10:42 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
did they pull that guy from the street and give him a mic?

He used to do the weather

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:12:51 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
a trunk full of fireworks from the 4th...

move along.... nothing to see here

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:23:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Would anyone notice a "dirty" bomb in New Jersey?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:30:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Would anyone notice a "dirty" bomb in New Jersey?

fuck it might clean the place up a little.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#20]
I doubt they'd be going apeshit over some smoke detectors.  For the record, you can disassemble enough smoke detectors and make a dirty bomb.  Some boy made a working reactor that way, and got radiation sickness.  More likely, someone redirected some medical waste, and was planning on making something bad.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:38:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Nice rack !  

ZOMG !!1!  DIRTY BOMBZ0RZ!!!!1!!1  

Jersey City....  Ehhh...  

In order of importance, of course.  
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:14:39 AM EDT
[#22]
updates?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:17:56 AM EDT
[#23]
Wait, isn't New Jersey radioactive already?
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:18:14 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
I doubt they'd be going apeshit over some smoke detectors.  
Oh?

Have we already forgotten about Boston?  That panic was all started over a Lite-Brite

Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:18:57 AM EDT
[#25]
"Hey America: BOO"
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 9:21:08 AM EDT
[#26]
While it is humorous to poke fun at Jersey, they are right across the way from NYC, and we all know terrorists have had a boner for attacking NYC for quite some time now...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top