Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/12/2007 6:52:03 PM EDT
Don't Be Afraid of the Dark? Made for TV ABC

This couple buys an old house and she opens a door screwed onto the fireplace in their basement. Lil' demons come out and terrorize her. They kept calling her in these whispers Sally, we want you Sally.. They pull her down into the fireplace at the end of the movie.

This movie scared the ever living piss out of me as a child. In fact I remember it well to this day. I must say it made me very afraid of the dark for years. I slept with my head under the covers and was always scared of these lil demons. I still to this day am paranoid about entering dark basements.

Anyone else mentally scarred and traumatized or remember this movie?
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:23:14 PM EDT
[#2]
BTT
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:27:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm in my early thirties, but Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory scared the crap out of me when that fat kid got sucked into the tube after drinking from the chocolate stream. That and the umpa loompas. Little demons I tells ya.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Anyone remember Terror at 29,000 Feet? Or something like that.  Demons down in the cargo hold of a jetliner.

Looked it up:  The Horror at 37,000 Feet
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:29:14 PM EDT
[#5]
No
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:32:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Anyone remember Terror at 29,000 Feet? Or something like that.  Demons down in the cargo hold of a jetliner.

Looked it up:  The Horror at 37,000 Feet

Yes!  That scared me so bad I couldn't watch the end of it.

Nowadays, I'd probably laugh at the cheesy special effects.  

Another one that was pretty good was "When a Stranger Calls".  Excellent psychological thriller.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:33:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm 38 and don't remember that movie but i had the same thing happen to me from another movie.

When i was about 8 my younger brother and i were watching an old black and white movie on TV at the next door neighbor's house.

In the movie a guy was walking slowly down the stairs into a dark cellar when a hand reached out from under the stairs and grabbed his ankle, causing him to fall down the stairs and impaled on a rake or something (can't quite remember).

It had the same effect on me, i was scared of the dark for a long time after that.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:35:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Two movies gave me nightmares as a kid.

Salem's Lot - The floating vampire kid scratching at the window pane.

The Hitcher with Rutger Hauer (who the fuck decided to remake it???  Idiots!)
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:36:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Salem's Lot did it for me.

Edit: beat me by 31 seconds

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#10]
"JAWS" scarred me for life, thanks mom.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:37:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
"JAWS" scarred me for life, thanks mom.

That's right, in over your knees and your part of the food chain
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
I remember my mom and I watched a movie about a sorority house with a killer in the attic.  He kills lots of people and they never check the attic, so the final scene is him up there singing really odd, with a dead body with a plastic bag over her head in a rocking chair and the only survivor downstairs sedated in her bed.

Someones in the house?? maybe?

Freaky.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:38:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I was freaked out by "The 5000 Fingers of Dr Terwilliker".

I guess that kind of dates me
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#15]
The flying monkies in the Wizard of Oz did it for me..
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:41:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Young Frankenstein...scared the crap out of me...
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:42:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Many of the posts here bring back memories And not the good kind.. lol

I cant believe after 350+ folks reading this thread though.. No one remembers this movie.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:42:58 PM EDT
[#18]
"Children of the Corn"!!!!!

That damn movie freaked my ass out!  Especially the opening scenes when the kids kill all the adults.

Then of course "The Shining".  First time I saw it, my bed was next to the window, and yes, I refused to sleep in it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:45:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Damn, I do remember that
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:45:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm a little younger, but Nightmare on Elm Street was the first movie I remember that really scared me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Young Frankenstein...scared the crap out of me...

The original Boris Karloff "Frankenstein" did it to me.

They used to have "Nightmare Theatre" on the Salt Lake City ABC affiliate Friday nights when I was a kid.  (This was late '60s/early '70s).  It was kind of a rite of passage for the kids of my neighborhood to be able to stay up late and watch it.  The movies were all black-and-white B-grade thrillers from the '30s, '40s and '50s.

When I was eight or so my mom let me stay up with my big brother and watch it.  The first one was the original "Godzilla".  I handled it pretty well, so the next week we stayed up and watched "Frankenstein".

Completely freaked me out.  I never stayed up for "Nightmare Theatre" again.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:48:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I was scared to death by that scene. Stopped watching right then and was freaked out for years...
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The flying monkies in the Wizard of Oz did it for me..

Yeah the Wizard of Oz was my first "scary movie" in the early 70's............

and to be honest, I'm still a little scared of that green faced old bitch with the broom.

To this day I sleep with a Sig, a surefire G2, and a bucket of water beside the bed.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:53:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Amityville Horror did it for me... whatever the hell the red eyed snorting thing outside the window... still freaks me the fuck out. I think I was 7 when I saw that on network tv.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:56:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
"Children of the Corn"!!!!!

That damn movie freaked my ass out!  Especially the opening scenes when the kids kill all the adults.

Then of course "The Shining".  First time I saw it, my bed was next to the window, and yes, I refused to sleep in it.

About 20 years ago I worked as a security guard at Jackson Lake Lodge in Grand Teton National Park.  In September one year Pendleton Woolen Mills had a fashion show there and they hired us to do nightime security for their clothing that was stored in the lodge.  It was a boring job, all we had to do was make sure the doors were locked every hour or so.

The night staff at the lodge brought in a TV, and guess what was one of the movies they brought?  The Shining.  One night when I was on duty I watched most of it, and then went to do my rounds on the upper floor of the lodge.  The corridor there looked exactly like the corridor in the movie.  I was scared shitless by the time I got to the end of the hall.

I didn't go back up there for the rest of the season.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:56:17 PM EDT
[#26]
I watched the excerciset and it freaked me out...
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Two movies gave me nightmares as a kid.

The Hitcher with Rutger Hauer (who the fuck decided to remake it???  Idiots!)

+1 on Salem's Lot.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#28]
When I was 8 years old we lived about 100 yards from the cemetary.  Between our back-yard and the cemetary was an empty lot/desert.  I used to be by myself for a few hours after school until Mom and Dad came home from work.  Sometimes that wouldn't be until after dark.

Well one night a 'Night of the Living Dead' and then 'Return of the Living Dead' marathon was on one of the cable chanels.  Haha.  I couldn't stop watching but by the time it was over I was hiding under a blanket fort with my air rifle and a machete I think, watching the movie through a tiny little slit, and I had let all of our many dogs into the house with me.

It really spooked the shit out of me but I still love zombie movies to this day.  That day was probably partially responsible for my love of firearms.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

This couple buys an old house and she opens a door screwed onto the fireplace in their basement. Lil' demons come out and terrorize her. They kept calling her in these whispers Sally, we want you Sally.. They pull her down into the fireplace at the end of the movie.

This movie scared the ever living piss out of me as a child. In fact I remember it well to this day. I must say it made me very afraid of the dark for years. I slept with my head under the covers and was always scared of these lil demons. I still to this day am paranoid about entering dark basements.

I remember that one.  At the end, while they're dragging her away, she keeps snapping pictures of them with a Polaroid.  They'd run away for a bit and then come back to start dragging her again.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#30]
The original 1958 "The Fly" spooked me as a kid. I couldn't sleep above the covers for a few years.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:16:48 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
I don't remember that one, but Salem's Lot kicked my ass all the way from childhood.  I STILL can't sleep with the closet doors open at night.  And let's not even talk about IT.

Here you go!

You knew "it" was going to happen, sooner or later.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:20:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Who could forget "Trillogy of Terror", I don't remember any of the other parts but that little doll running around with the kitchen knife terrified me as a kid.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Twilight Zone: The Movie.  The guy that didn't have a mouth was the scene that freaked me out.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I remember that one.  At the end, while they're dragging her away, she keeps snapping pictures of them with a Polaroid.  They'd run away for a bit and then come back to start dragging her again.

Bingo!

Ok one fella.. Jeeezzz.. Your right it was one of those old ones with the rotating flash bulb... she had 4 flashes I think.. and they would come right back and start dragging...

How bout when they were taking her napkin hiding under the table.. Or hiding in the flower arrangements.. Terrorizing shit for a child.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:33:12 PM EDT
[#35]
John Carpenter's "Prince of Darkness" was a pretty scary movie too.  At least it was when I watched it alone at night 15 years ago.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:38:09 PM EDT
[#36]
Deadly Tower scared the crap out of me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:40:10 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Deadly Tower scared the crap out of me.

With Kurt Russel?? That was a great movie.. But scary?? Nah..
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:42:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Storm_Tracker, we want you Storm_Tracker

bwahhahahahahaha
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:45:25 PM EDT
[#39]
A real oldie moldie "B" flick ..... "The Undertaker and His Friends", I was about 6 or 7 scared the shit out of me. They would kill people for a greasy spoon resturaunt and serve them as dinner specials. The undertaker would take whats left and charge an outrage price for the funerals. Lots of blood and gore for way back when.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:47:14 PM EDT
[#40]
Exorcist didn't scare me but the Omen did
Phantasm freaked me out the first time I saw it
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:47:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Oh man when that came out i had a fear of opening strange doors for years!!

Thanks for reminding me!

Especailly since you never got to see the actual trolls!
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:53:41 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Who could forget "Trillogy of Terror", I don't remember any of the other parts but that little doll running around with the kitchen knife terrified me as a kid.

That little beast freaks me out to this day....or anything that resembles it.....
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:57:36 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

back on topic:

i remember it. won't say it traumatized me, however, it has stuck with me, my siblings too i think.

I could not remember the name of the movie for years, but the movie itself never left me

in about 1994 with the help of my older cousin we found it at Blockbuster (i think).

....again i forgot the name.....

this would be the only movie i would not bat an eye paying full Blockbuster replacement for.

guess i need to find a place on the net to purchase it now.

thanks for reminding me.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That little beast freaks me out to this day....or anything that resembles it.....

That's the one where Karen Black turns into the little African doll at the end. I remember it well.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:00:52 PM EDT
[#45]
"The Pit and the Pendulum"  We were reading the story by Edgar Allan Poe in school in the late 60's when the movie was first shown on TV.  Our teacher wanted all of us to watch the film.  And I did up to the point when they open the coffin and the woman had been buried alive and died trying to claw her way free.  Well, that was enough for me!  I walked out of the living room and went to bed.  I've still not watched more of the movie.  

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Bingo!

Ok one fella.. Jeeezzz.. Your right it was one of those old ones with the rotating flash bulb... she had 4 flashes I think.. and they would come right back and start dragging...

How bout when they were taking her napkin hiding under the table.. Or hiding in the flower arrangements.. Terrorizing shit for a child.

Honestly, I remember only the ending because it was so bizarre.  How about this one:  Let's Scare Jessica to Death.  I don't remember anything about that one either, other than she would always hear her name whispered.  
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:08:31 PM EDT
[#47]
"THEM!"
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:17:43 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

back on topic:

i remember it. won't say it traumatized me, however, it has stuck with me, my siblings too i think.

I could not remember the name of the movie for years, but the movie itself never left me

in about 1994 with the help of my older cousin we found it at Blockbuster (i think).

....again i forgot the name.....

this would be the only movie i would not bat an eye paying full Blockbuster replacement for.

guess i need to find a place on the net to purchase it now.

thanks for reminding me.

www.amazon.com/Dont-Afraid-Dark-Kim-Darby/dp/B00000F39T/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-5599758-4583260?ie=UTF8&s=video&qid=1186982105&sr=8-1
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:30:22 PM EDT
[#49]
I saw that movie when I was 9 y.o. and it scared the living shit out me.

Thanks for bringing  that memory back
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 9:44:42 PM EDT
[#50]
height=8
Quoted:
I remember my mom and I watched a movie about a sorority house with a killer in the attic.  He kills lots of people and they never check the attic, so the final scene is him up there singing really odd, with a dead body with a plastic bag over her head in a rocking chair and the only survivor downstairs sedated in her bed.

Someones in the house?? maybe?

Freaky.

Sounds like the original version of Black Christmas
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top