Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/12/2007 4:32:31 PM EDT
As I was sitting here, I noticed the single live .223 round that I possess (don't own a gun in that caliber yet) and an empty 30-rounder for my 7.62x39mm AK clone. On a whim, I stuck the round into the mag. It fits just fine.

Now obviously, having only one round doesn't mean diddly-squat, but can you actually fill a 7.62x39mm AK magazine with 5.56mm ammunition? Maybe this is where dumbasses at gun shows get their retarded ideas that AK's can 'use their ammo and ours'.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:41:42 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:

Quoted:
As I was sitting here, I noticed the single live .223 round that I possess (don't own a gun in that caliber yet) and an empty 30-rounder for my 7.62x39mm AK clone. On a whim, I stuck the round into the mag. It fits just fine.

Now obviously, having only one round doesn't mean diddly-squat, but can you actually fill a 7.62x39mm AK magazine with 5.56mm ammunition? Maybe this is where dumbasses at gun shows get their retarded ideas that AK's can 'use their ammo and ours'.

wtf???  why the f#%k?

Reading comprehension, the other white meat.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:43:47 PM EDT
[#2]
7,62x39 also fits into an AR mag.  Can't fit too many due to the taper of the cartridge and the AR mags don't have enough curve, but 6 or 7 will fit and feed fairly well from a 20rd 5.56 mag (using a 7.62x39 upper)

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
it is to long to go down into the mag (generaly speaking) and will cause jams by making the follower stick.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 4:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I hear you can fire an 8mm Mauser round through a 30-06 also.

I don't think you'll be getting any follow up shots though.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:01:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't think you can't fill it completely.  The 7.62x39 case is tapered more than the 5.56, and thus makes the curve of the magazine more "natural".

However, it will feed a 5.56, and fire it!  I thought I had a photo saved, but I can't find it.  The case pretty much expands to 7.62x39 dimensions, bullet barely leaves the barrel.

Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:14:15 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Legal Disclaimer: The post was meant to be sarcastically humorous.  Actually doing this would cause the 30-06 to go KA-Boom.  Serious injury to the shooter and bystanders is very likely.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:18:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Another fabulous post.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 5:40:10 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Legal Disclaimer: The post was meant to be sarcastically humorous.  Actually doing this would cause the 30-06 to go KA-Boom.  Serious injury to the shooter and bystanders is very likely.

If someone needs to be told this, its unlikely they are able to read the post anyway.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top