Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2007 1:21:18 PM EDT
I tried this today. It took all of 10 minutes to throw together. I did a quick and dirty version since I wasn't sure how pronounced the effect would be, and I wanted to test it first.

The effect was amazing, especially considering the materials used.

Link to video

Basically the effect is obtained by placing two layers of developed film leader over the lens of your digital camera. You can snip off the dark ends of some old negatives you have lying around. Then it's up to you to decide how you mount it. It's that simple.

Here's mine taken with a 7.1MP Canon SD550 Elph.

Anyone else tried this? Post them if you have.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 1:23:35 PM EDT
[#1]
neat
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:21:20 PM EDT
[#2]

The effect gets even better if you have a digital camera with a discrete IR filter, as opposed to a lens coating.

If you pull the discrete IR filter, the camera's IR sensitivity goes way, way up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:29:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool

My Canon S3IS can see the IRLED in my TV remote.  Now, I just need some developed film.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:04:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Looks like this could be a way to make a poor man's NVG.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:26:19 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Looks like this could be a way to make a poor man's NVG.

Not with a digital camera.  You are not seeing "heat".

ETA:  The EOS has an IR filter.  I really need to play with the ancient Fuji more!

Fuji FinePix 3800(?) with a "real" IR filter, hand-held.
Link Posted: 8/13/2007 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#6]
A roommate of mine had a cheap Walgreens disposable video camera he hacked to be reusable, and then colored the lens with black permanent marker.  Using this he was able to image near-IR video.  Pretty cool.  Neatest effect was turning on an electric range on the lowest setting and turning all the lights off.  The heat wasn't high enough to emit visible light, but using the camera we could see in the dark, and even could read a cook book across the room using scattered IR.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:51:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry I killed the thread.
Link Posted: 8/14/2007 12:56:13 PM EDT
[#8]
gonna have to give ths a try myself
thanks for sharing
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top