Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/10/2007 5:06:40 AM EDT
are the most ORIGINAL sound to hit country music in years.  Whether you like them or not, nobody else out there sounds like they do.  I'm not really sure they're country, but they've found a niche and excel at what they do.  I've seen them live and they bring an unbelievable amount of energy to their shows.  Whether you like them or hate them, they are pure showmen.  Let the shitstorm begin!    MJD
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#1]
never heard of them
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:09:48 AM EDT
[#2]
It's pop music, which I guess is okay, if that's your thing. I don't care for it much, but that's me.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:11:41 AM EDT
[#3]
Dont like
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:11:50 AM EDT
[#4]
My wife calls them "Rig and Bitch".

Don't care much for them myself, but to each his own.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:14:58 AM EDT
[#5]
The only time I like Big & Rich is when I'm drinking.  The cheesy-ass "save a horse" refrain gets the redneck in me all riled up.

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:17:54 AM EDT
[#6]
I am overall not a big fan of their music, though I do recall a song they did about a guy who served in the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam that I did like a lot.

My idea of perfect country music was 1980's George Strait and Keith Whitley. I also liked Earl Thomas Conley. Today's stuff just seems a bit too watered down for my tastes. But I'll admit that country music today is probably about the best overall genre of music, even if it does have a lot of negatives. It's not that today's country is very good. It isn't. It's just that everything else sucks really, really bad. The quality of music overall has been on the decline since the 1980's if you ask me. But it has really gone to hell over the past decade. Ughhhh.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:21:51 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I am overall not a big fan of their music, though I do recall a song they did about a guy who served in the 173rd Airborne Brigade in Vietnam that I did like a lot.

My idea of perfect country music was 1980's George Strait and Keith Whitley. I also liked Earl Thomas Conley. Today's stuff just seems a bit too watered down for my tastes. But I'll admit that country music today is probably about the best overall genre of music, even if it does have a lot of negatives. It's not that today's country is very good. It isn't. It's just that everything else sucks really, really bad. The quality of music overall has been on the decline since the 1980's if you ask me. But it has really gone to hell over the past decade. Ughhhh.

Progressive Rock/Metal is as good as ever.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:23:14 AM EDT
[#8]
There is quite a bit of their music that I like.  It's almost like hip hop for Rednecks :)
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:25:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You're thinking of "8th of November".  Beautiful song that will really get you emotional especially if you have personal ties to people that served in Vietnam or if you did yourself.  
I love the country music from the '80s.  Hank Jr., Ronnie Milsap, and all the others.  I like the older stuff too.  Everybody loves George Jones, Tom T. Hall, and Marty Robbins.  I have a special place in my heart for songs like "High Tech Redneck", "I Like Beer" and "Big Iron".
I think modern country music started going to hell with Garth Brooks.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:26:16 AM EDT
[#10]
They are odd.  IMHO
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:26:31 AM EDT
[#11]
Big and Rich ROCK !  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:27:17 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
There is quite a bit of their music that I like.  It's almost like hip hop for Rednecks :)

No, that's Cowboy Troy.  He specializes in mixing country and rap.  No, it's not called crap.  It's "hick hop".  MJD
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:30:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Discourage inbreeding - ban country music.

This has been a public service announcement.

-James
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:19:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Hank Williams III sums the situation up pretty nicely:

So I'm here to put the "dick" in Dixie
and the "cunt" back in country
'Cause the kind of country I hear now days
is a bunch of fuckin' shit to me
They say that I'm ill-mannered
that I'm gonna self-destruct
But if you know what I'm thinkin'
you'll know that pop country really sucks

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:26:02 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

-James

I used to think I HATED country music with a passion.

After accidentally listening to old school country during a cross country drive... I realized that I did NOT hate country music, I justed hated the "pop country" shit they play on CMT.

Kenny Chesney and his million other clones are fags.  Toby Keith is excluded from such sweeping generalization because he is the anti-dixie chicks and his lyrics are funny despite his songs sucking like a dyson.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:27:44 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yup. I haven't been able to get enough of my Kamelot CD's for the past two years. LOVE THEM!!!

As far as Big & Rich. I actually like them. I was watching a concert of theirs on CMT the other day and it rocked. But that's why I liked them... cause it ROCKED! I've played in country/classic rock bands for over 20 years now. And up until several years ago I HATED all country music. Didn't ever own one CD. Just played the music. But when guys like Keith Urban and Kenny Chesney came out I started being able to stomach country music. Long nights of playing George Strait, George Jones, Allan Jackson, etc made me want to put a bullet in my head. But I like this new country a lot. I can actually stand to listen to it and play it all night. It's certainly more rock than it is country. And that's why I like it. I'll NEVER play in a band again where I'm playing that lame old music by the "Georges".
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:31:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

-James

I used to think I HATED country music with a passion.

After accidentally listening to old school country during a cross country drive... I realized that I did NOT hate country music, I justed hated the "pop country" shit they play on CMT.

Kenny Chesney and his million other clones are fags.  Toby Keith is excluded from such sweeping generalization because he is the anti-dixie chicks and his lyrics are funny despite his songs sucking like a dyson.

LOL my story is about the same.

I used to HATE country music with a passion. Then, driving down to South Carolina a while back, we ran out of CDs to listen to and tuned around the radio dial. My wife always liked country so I said, "fine, have a listen". They were playing "classic" country, Johnny Cash and other good stuff. I realized that early, true country music is pretty much white Blues music - and I am a HUGE blues fan.

We've gotten into Toby Keith a bit and my wife's gotten two Big & Rich discs that I've listened to. The 2 discs I've heard are both like 50/50 decent to SUCK music ratio. They are very pop-ish artists.

Ah well. I don't usually seek out any country music to this day, with the exception of Johnny Cash - that man was excellent.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:35:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Couldn't of had rock without country and blues.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:49:20 AM EDT
[#19]
remind me of a country version of Siegfried and Roy
are they in the "family'?
"not that there is anything wrong with that"
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 7:57:48 AM EDT
[#20]
I like country music, and I can't stand them.  The tones they use in many of their songs really grate on my ears.

Of course, the radio stations around here only play Kenny Chesney, so it's a moot point.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#21]
I like 'em.........on another note, I personally know the midget/little person that tours with them and is in several of their vids.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:15:29 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it is as good as it ever was.  It is easy to maintain a terrible sound and crappy lyrics though, so it is not much of an accomplishment.  
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:18:06 AM EDT
[#23]
There is a true musicianship in modern country music that is lacking in many other genres. People who like MUSIC, are flocking to country. People may hate Kenny Chesney (and that is OK) but he is a damn good singer and musician. Same goes for people and groups like Sugarland (Nettles is one of the best female vocalists/musicians out there, in any genre) and Keith Urban. Then you have people like Toby Keith and Gretchen Wilson who put the southern rock back into country.

It is a good time for country music. Bad time for many other genres.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:59:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Big and Rich are prepackage record company marketing garbage… the country music version of the The Monkees without The Monkees talent.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 9:59:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Just because your the first........DON'T make you the best.

Personally, I can't stand these tools
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#26]
I like B&R most of the time, but Cowboy Troy sounds like shit and acts like he is the shit IMO.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:40:50 AM EDT
[#27]
1st CD rocked
2nd one...not so much save for 8th of November.
They rock live.

The ONLY "pop country" I can stand.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:48:06 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
1st CD rocked
They rock live.

Oh comeon now, you've got to love "Jalapeno".  You might like Cross Canadian Ragweed also.  Their Garage album was good although I haven't heard it for some time.  MJD
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:50:43 AM EDT
[#29]
GAHHH I can't STAND that "Jalapeno" song...

However, for some reason I really like that "blow my mind" song.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:50:50 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
1st CD rocked
They rock live.

Oh comeon now, you've got to love "Jalapeno".  You might like Cross Canadian Ragweed also.  Their Garage album was good although I haven't heard it for some time.  MJD

Cross Canadian is more classic rock then they are current country.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:20:16 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it is as good as it ever was.  It is easy to maintain a terrible sound and crappy lyrics though, so it is not much of an accomplishment.  

"terrible sound and crappy lyrics"  

It has some of the best guitar players and songwriters in this genre in the last 15years.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:24:15 PM EDT
[#32]
I like that "save a horse" song.

Kinda catchy.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
good song

8th of november

+1

Makes me cry every time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 4:56:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
They are odd.  IMHO

+1
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:23:23 PM EDT
[#35]
I enjoyed thier first CD, actually bought it, haven't heard much of their recent stuff...

I'm already laughing because I'm remembering and episode of the "Russ Martin Show" where they tried to get Russ to listen to Big and Rich with Cowboy Troy and he kept asking "what the ?  are they a candy-bar or something?" and calling them "Moist and Chewy"

but yeah... I liked the first CD...
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:32:25 PM EDT
[#36]
I like "Wild West Show" but otherwise Small & Poor pretty much suck.

HANK III FAN
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 5:39:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Not a fan, but I bought the CD just for the 8th of November song,
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 6:36:55 PM EDT
[#38]
The 1st time I heard 8th of novemeber I couldnt help but cry
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 8:00:50 PM EDT
[#39]
Don't know much about them other than their song "She's a Butterfly", as sung by Martina McBride, which is just beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:22:18 PM EDT
[#40]
I bet if you guys busted out the jacket on the latest CD and read the last line....

You would start to like them!
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:28:39 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
are the most ORIGINAL sound to hit country music in years.  Whether you like them or not, nobody else out there sounds like they do.  I'm not really sure they're country, but they've found a niche and excel at what they do.  I've seen them live and they bring an unbelievable amount of energy to their shows.  Whether you like them or hate them, they are pure showmen.  Let the shitstorm begin!    MJD

Well, Given that my Grandmother did not like Johnny Cash, she wasn't into Rock and Roll, and he is my favorite Country singer, well, all I can say is none of us have any idea where Country music will be in 50 years, Big and Rich may well be the start of a new sound

either way, I like soem of their songs, absolutely hate others, but that is always the way it has been for me with music
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:39:22 PM EDT
[#42]
They're about as country as Madonna dressed up in some disco cowgirl gettup'.............pop garbage.
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Big and Rich are prepackage record company marketing garbage… the country music version of the The Monkees without The Monkees talent.

So that's why John Rich is the songwriter behind a TON of the top country hits on the charts?

Big and Rich are something different from the norm, and I do like them a lot
Link Posted: 8/10/2007 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Does Carrie Underwood count as country music?

Link Posted: 8/10/2007 11:10:17 PM EDT
[#45]
There are very few country artists nowadays that I can listen to. I will agree that todays country music has WAYYYY too much "pop" in it. However, even if I don't like the song, I truly respect any artist that writes their own music. There are a few.....Taylor Swift, for example, writes her own music.

This is the reason that I like Big and Rich. Their music is original and they write it themselves. John Rich is the man behind literally hundreds of country music hits.

There are many others that I don't like, but are extremely talented. Keith Urban, for example, has to have some of the WORST songs ever, but he is an extremely talented guitar player. Same goes for Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland. I don't particularly like their music, but I'll be damned if she doesn't have one of the best voices I have heard in a while.

For the record, when I listen to country music, it's Hank Williams 3, Shooter Jennings (which is more pop country, but he isn't too bad), Hank Williams Sr., Hank Jr., Merle Haggard, Charlie Daniels, David Allen Coe and Buck Owens.
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 7:43:33 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
I bet if you guys busted out the jacket on the latest CD and read the last line....

You would start to like them!

ok? How bout you tell us what it says....please
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:21:42 AM EDT
[#47]
height=8
Quoted:
Hank Williams III sums the situation up pretty nicely:

height=8
So I'm here to put the "dick" in Dixie
and the "cunt" back in country
'Cause the kind of country I hear now days
is a bunch of fuckin' shit to me
They say that I'm ill-mannered
that I'm gonna self-destruct
But if you know what I'm thinkin'
you'll know that pop country really sucks

Hank 3 is the best thing in country that has came out in years
Link Posted: 8/11/2007 10:59:49 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
Same goes for Jennifer Nettles of Sugarland. I don't particularly like their music, but I'll be damned if she doesn't have one of the best voices I have heard in a while.

Wayyyyyy too fucking twangy  I don't know why she has to *try to* sing with a grossly over the top WAY down South accent.

Shooter Jennings (which is more pop country, but he isn't too bad),

Ouch, I had CMT Pure on the TV behind me the other night and a video came on and I asked myself why the hell Aerosmith was on CMT.  I turned around and it was good old Scooter doing a good impression of Steven Tyler.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 7:55:58 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So that's why John Rich is the songwriter behind a TON of the top country hits on the charts?

Contributing that heavily to turning country music into the shit it has become isnt something I would admire him for.  I also view them as prepackaged corporate crap - country music's token boy band.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/12/2007 8:05:50 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Contributing that heavily to turning country music into the shit it has become isnt something I would admire him for.  I also view them as prepackaged corporate crap - country music's token boy band.  YMMV.

Exactly
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top