User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/8/2007 4:21:37 PM EDT
Homeowner arrested after the burglar he confronted falls 30ft

by JAYA NARAIN
21:06pm on 8th August 2007

A homeowner was arrested after a burglar plunged from the balcony of his top-floor flat.

The intruder suffered head injuries and is fighting for his life after falling around 30ft on to a concrete path.

Later police arrested the owner and are investigating whether the intruder was pushed.

The incident happened early on Monday when Patrick Walsh, 56, awoke to find the 43-year-old man rifling through his flat.

They argued and the confrontation moved towards the rear window of the flat.

It is believed the intruder then smashed the window and clambered out on to a narrow ledge and fell to the ground.

Mr Walsh phoned police and at around 6.30am officers found the man on the ground outside the smart Victorian apartment block in Chorlton-cum-Hardy,

He was taken to hospital with serious head injuries.

Officers arrested Mr Walsh on suspicion of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and are trying to establish whether the intruder was forced out of the window.

The arrest is expected to fuel arguments about the rights of householders to defend themselves against burglars.

The issue has been high on the law and order agenda since farmer Tony Martin was jailed for shooting dead a burglar in 1999.

Following the Martin affair the Crown Prosecution Service and the Association of Chief Police Officers said any householder can use reasonable force to protect themselves or others, or to carry out an arrest or to prevent crime.

Yesterday Mr Walsh, who was given bail pending further inquiries, refused to speak about the incident.

But his solicitor Victor Wozny said: "My client is not at liberty to say anything because he is under police bail.

"However we appreciate that the public view might be that this is a man arrested in his own home defending his own property."

A neighbour said: "Police arrived in what seemed to be minutes and were there for the whole day.

"It's shocking to find out what has happened but people shouldn't break into other people's houses."

Another resident said: "I presume we will have to respect the burglar's rights while his victim has the nightmare of court hanging over his head. It all seems so unfair."

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said they had been called following reports that an intruder had fallen from a top-floor flat.

A 56-year-old man had woken up to find a man in his flat.

"Following an exchange of words, the alleged burglar was found unconscious on the pavement outside the flat.

"It is believed that he had fallen from the fourth-floor window."

He said the man is 43 and lives locally and inquiries are continuing to establish the circumstances surrounding the incident.

Mr Walsh was later released on bail until November. If charged and convicted he could face a life sentence.

Link
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:23:04 PM EDT
[#1]

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:23:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank God firearms are legal  and 'Castle Doctrine' exists in FL.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:24:24 PM EDT
[#3]
When the hell are the brits going to take back there island from idiots.  I would not cry if they started a holocaust of idiots.  

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Welcome to the U.K., where the local criminal element has realized the nirvana that is having the law completely on their side.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:25:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Truly pathetic.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#6]
[Higgins]Oh. My. GOD.[/Higgins]

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:31:27 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

something about that pic reminds me of Quagmire. It almost looks like he's doing the head bob thing
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#8]
What a bunch of retarded motherfuckers
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:33:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.serienoldies.de/images/magnum_higgins.jpg

something about that pic reminds me of Quagmire. It almost looks like he's doing the head bob thing

Giddy, Giddy!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:33:28 PM EDT
[#10]
There can only be one word that best describes this:

Pathetic.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:35:46 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
There can only be one word that best describes this:

Pathetic.

Yep.

Burglar gets 3 months max, homeowner looking at life in prison.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:36:18 PM EDT
[#12]
A littering ticket for throwing trash out the window I can understand.  That's all he should have IMHO
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:36:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Well that seems reasonable.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:36:25 PM EDT
[#14]
So he helped the intruder out of the apartment. What' s the problem there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:37:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Keep in mind that in liberalism the UK is usually less than 10 years ahead of us.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:40:56 PM EDT
[#16]

The arrest is expected to fuel arguments about the rights of householders to defend themselves against burglars.

Ya think?
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:45:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Some day sanity may return to the U.K.  

What ever happened to the spirit of a country that gave rise to:  

"We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender,"
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#18]
UK citizens. Im sorry to report this, but you are fucked.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#19]
I knew it had to be the UK. Truly they have lost their minds to liberalism!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:49:44 PM EDT
[#20]
What kind of f***ing retard would make a statement like this

Another resident said: "I presume we will have to respect the burglar's rights while his victim has the nightmare of court hanging over his head. It all seems so unfair."

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#21]
I hope no one is suprised.  Keep in mind this is the country that has more cameras watching it's citizens, per capita, than any other country in the world.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 4:56:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Words fail to convey the sense of over-whelming disgust and loathing that this article evokes in me. If I had a picture of the moonbat limeys responsible for this pathetic state of affairs, I would wipe my ass with it and mail it to them with postage due.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Good god! I think it is about time we went back over there and liberated the Brits from their government!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 5:07:51 PM EDT
[#24]
I'm sure vito will be along anytime now to tell us how safe it is over there.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 5:12:18 PM EDT
[#25]
....keep a stiff upper lip, and all that rot....  cheerio....

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
....keep a stiff upper lip, and all that rot....  cheerio....

Meanie.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 5:24:17 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

You are not giving that Brit enough credit.

This is Brit humour, very understated sarcasm.  Appears as though he thinks that the homeowner did the right thing.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 5:52:35 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's called "dry British humor".
It's also called SARCASM.

Right, we all get the sarcasm (well most of us).  Dude, they arrested the HOME OWNER.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 5:56:58 PM EDT
[#29]
This shit won't happen once sharia is brought to the Brits..
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 5:58:24 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Well at least you're an optimist.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#31]
Wow,

This should shock me, but it doesn't.  The UK really has lost its damn mind.

That guy would be a  hero here in the USA even in San Fran.

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:26:20 PM EDT
[#32]
The World Weekly Times Colour Supplement

London, July 24. 2007

Britons Warned not to Become Victims of Crime.

In a press release today, Home Secretary John Reid warned Britons that serious penalties await those who allow themselves to become victims of crime.

"There's much too much crime being perpetrated against those leaving their homes for purposes like going to work, going shopping, going down to the pub, and other seemingly innocent reasons", Reid said. "What people need to remember is that it takes two for a violent crime to be perpetrated, an attacker and a victim".

London Police Chief Superintendant Emil Bukko-Bukko Singh-Boggs (Mrs) added "It's gotten completely out of hand. People leaving their houses and flats all hours of the day and night without a by your leave, no controls, my officers don't know who is a criminal and who is a victim. By the time the casualty wagon's got around, they're usually too incoherent to give us a proper statement".

Penalties for becoming a victim of a crime will range from a stern lecture to confiscation of one's home, car and other property. Reid defended these by saying: "Look, we have got to send a message. Everyone has to do one's part in lowering the crime rate, and if one has to experience minor inconveniences like never leaving one's home, it's a small price to pay to keep the UK safe".

In order to keep from running afoul of the new penalties, residents of the UK are advised to remain indoors at all times. If one should find themselves confronted in their home, then it would be permissible to run into the street, but if confronted there should roll up into the fetal position and await for police to arrive.

Home Secretary Reid made a final plea for compliance; "It's in everyone's best interest, and for the good of the nation". "If it's only the criminal element on the streets, the police will have a much easier time directing them to the proper rehabilitation facilities. I think all responsible citizens agree with that".
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:28:27 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The UK is powder keg waiting to explode................

I was gonna look for that picture of Winston in your avitar and comment about how he's rolling in his grave.  Anyway, if it does explode I'll send some guns and ammo to help my British Cousins.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:30:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:36:50 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was gonna look for that picture of Winston in your avitar and comment about how he's rolling in his grave.  Anyway, if it does explode I'll send some guns and ammo to help my British Cousins.

What they really need is some fucking sanity.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:45:23 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And some balls.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:49:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Fucking pathetic indeed...
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#38]
Wow.

That might just be the stupidest thing I have ever seen.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:51:44 PM EDT
[#39]
I want to move to England and become a criminal.  It sounds like paradise!

Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And some balls.

Balls is not the issue, brainwashing is.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:52:17 PM EDT
[#41]
Now there's a civilized country!
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 6:53:26 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And some balls.

The balls would be to stand up to the shitty government.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:10:00 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And some balls.

All have you know my good gent, that the government in the U.K. has freedom written all over it.
Link Posted: 8/8/2007 7:12:48 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

And some balls.

All have you know my good gent, that the government in the U.K. has freedom written all over it.

Yep, for the thief.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 12:26:11 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Wow.  This is the worst story I have see on ARF in a long time.

I aim to please.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 12:31:48 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
A littering ticket for throwing trash out the window I can understand.  That's all he should have IMHO

Thats too funny. I can just imagine the outcry from liberal democrats right now.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 2:41:56 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

It was meant in jest.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 4:32:04 AM EDT
[#48]
The bad thing about UK (and many foriegn stoies) is we rairly get updates.  Maybe this guy gets exonerated.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 4:38:23 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:
The bad thing about UK (and many foreign stories) is we rarely get updates.  Maybe this guy gets exonerated.

That is irrelevant. It's that he was charged and jailed in the first place that is the outrage.
Link Posted: 8/9/2007 4:42:37 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I'm sure vito will be along anytime now to tell us how safe it is over there.

And I'm sure you can sight me any States were you can throw a felon out of a 4th floor window and not get arrested…

Waiting…
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top