Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2001 10:16:18 AM EDT
My New Springfield TRP is due in next week and I want to start to carry. Problem is that when I went to pay for it last week I asked the store for the CCW class and thay were booked till mid January, Same problem at two more gun stores.

I will keep it in the holster UNLOADED (loaded mag in the glove compartment) under the seat or on the floor. Do I break any laws in this way? What is the propper carry (except on the dashboard or on the seat next to me). If I'll get stoped I'll have both hands on the wheel and will let the LEO that I have a gun UNLOADED in the car. If you would be the LEO what would you do and what would you want me to do?

Please respond with your imput
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 10:57:43 AM EDT
[#1]
Im not LEO, but it is my understanding that you can have the pistol loaded in a holster anywhere in the car. I may be wrong. Check for yourself, but I think that is the law. At least thats how I carry in the car.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Milhouse is correct. if it is in a holster you can have it hidden (or not) anywhere in your vehicle.  AZ state law does NOT differentiate between a loaded or unloaded weapon.

Link Posted: 10/14/2001 11:18:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Dacon- I've liven in AZ for over a decade. Just load it up, stuff it in a holster and carry on with your buiness.. If stopped, just let the cop ask the questions. A lot could care less that you have a piece in the car since it IS pretty common here..

One time I was stopped, the cop issued me a warning for the burned out plate lights then asked "And what the hell is THAT?"..

I had the CZ-52 on the passenger seat, and he'd never seen one before..

Just don't carry it into government buildings, bars, or any place with the sign "No Weapons"..

Meplat-
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 1:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the inputs guys. Any opinion is welcomed.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 9:58:44 AM EDT
[#5]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:08:22 AM EDT
[#6]
When I was stationed in Yuma, AZ, I carried openly a lot, and just got into my car with the OWB holster when I had to go somewhere.

You won't have a problem.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#7]
As I understand it, according to Arizona law a handgun in a vehicle is not considered concealed if it is in a holster and the driver does not have direct access to it.  If it's in the glovebox or center console - in a holster - it's not concealed.  If it's under the seat, it is concealed.  I think the legalese is that you have to perform TWO actions to get to it:  i.e. open the glovebox, remove from holster.

Also, Arizona is an open-carry state.  You can wear it on your belt in plain sight here.  As long as the officer can see it, it isn't concealed.  Leave it on the passenger seat and you're OK, unless you slam on the brakes.  I keep my SP101 in the glove compartment (I haven't had time to go through a CCW class YET, and now the backlog is ridiculous.)
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 2:24:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Wrong, Kbaker. under your seat is O.K.....

anywhere in the vehicle is O.K.  The only exception is if it is not in a holster. in which case it must be in plain sight.

Dacon, when you take your CCW course, take it from a Police officer.  i took mine from a company that has all L.E. instructors from the Accademy here in phx. email me if you want more info.  the course will cover AZ law in detail.
Link Posted: 10/15/2001 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Thanks MARKM.

If you don't mind can you post  here where is the best place to ger the CCW. I have a spotless record and i don't want to screw it up.
Please let me know if you want  me to e-mail you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top