Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 8/5/2007 2:37:53 PM EDT
In a 1 on 1 fight who would win Maximus from Gladiator or Leonidas from 300?  And how long would the fight last
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:39:06 PM EDT
[#1]

Leonidas with a first round KO.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:40:00 PM EDT
[#2]
I think this may be the greatest vs. question ever asked on arfcom.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:40:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Leonidas would drop kick Maximus with rock music playing in the background.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:40:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I disagree. The answer is simple.

Leonidas FTW. Easilty.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:41:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

After any fight or a straight up 1-shot?
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:41:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Hmm.........hard to say............but since Maximus is a fictional character, let's make it even more interesting...............Leonidas vs. Achilles
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:43:16 PM EDT
[#7]
SPARTA!
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:43:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Hmm.........hard to say............but since Maximus is a fictional character, let's make it even more interesting...............Leonidas vs. Achilles

Achilles was a pussy, leonidas would destroy him.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:44:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I have to go with maximus. Lenodius was trained in and the spartans were prized for fighting as a phalanx in a group not individual combat
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:45:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Maximus was a farmer.

Leonidas was a soldier.

Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:45:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Why would a Spartan be fighting alone?
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
+1
and Leonidas FTW!
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:47:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

This is a post by Taxman, reason doesnt apply.

I got a headache or Id think of a good reason
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:52:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Most posts will reflect the post-masterbatory afterglow from recent 300 viewing; while Gladiator is a few years old.  I would put my money on the gladiator having the edge in single combat.  

Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:52:30 PM EDT
[#15]
true, if he stabbed him in the heel

Quoted:

Quoted:

Achilles was a pussy, leonidas would destroy him.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Most posts will reflect the post-masterbatory afterglow from recent 300 viewing; while Gladiator is a few years old.  I would put my money on the gladiator having the edge in single combat.  

Gladiator is on TNT right now.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:58:28 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Get 2 tvs 2 DVD players, watch them at the same time, Elvis style, shoot the loser.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 2:59:41 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks but I have to watch the 2nd Bourne movie with my wife so she can catch up on the story before we go see the latest in the theater.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#19]
Leonidas. His spear has more reach than Maximus's sword.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:03:55 PM EDT
[#20]
I believe Spartans are very well versed in man on man combat. Maximus wouldn't get inside Leonidas' spear.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:07:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Oh, oh what about this!  Lets say they are both juiced up on meth. and they can only use sporks, like you get at KFC, for weapons.  Now that is fucking entertaining!
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:10:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Maximus...if only to have his revenge, in this life or the next!

After all the Spartans didnt go round the known  world looking for fights...Romans did... and came up on all kinda new adversaries that Spartans had no knowledge of.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:11:48 PM EDT
[#23]
THEY MUST BUILD MORE PYLONS
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:14:29 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
I have to go with maximus. Lenodius was trained in and the spartans were prized for fighting as a phalanx in a group not individual combat

Apparently you didnt watch the movie
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:16:29 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
Oh, oh what about this!  Lets say they are both juiced up on meth. and they can only use sporks, like you get at KFC, for weapons.  Now that is fucking entertaining!

And Maximus is a fox and Leonidas is an ocelot or something.

And then they have sex.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:19:11 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Leonidas. His spear has more reach than Maximus's sword.

+1 this is what I was thinking too.  My wife picked Leonidas because he has better abs
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:22:06 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

My wife picked Leonidas because he has better abs

The gratuitous butt crack scenes didnt hurt either
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:23:57 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My wife picked Leonidas because he has better abs

The gratuitous butt crack scenes didnt hurt either

He also is almost as good at porking chicks as I am.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

And then they have sex.

Yeah....Ummm, we're gonna try to keep ignoring that practice in our movies about that era.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:34:08 PM EDT
[#31]
Sparta training > Roman Training
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:35:54 PM EDT
[#32]
I say it would be one hell of a fight.

Beyond that, I'm not even going to fathom a guess.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

After any fight or a straight up 1-shot?

So, you're saying Maximus can't take a full-power shot from Leonidas?
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Maximus was a farmer.

Leonidas was a soldier.

"You see old friend, I have brought more soldiers than you"
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:38:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Leonidas.

He is the product of superior genetic engineering through generations of selective breeding.

He has been trained since birth to fight.

He is in much better shape.

Although Maximus could have a Rocky IV moment and take him, but the smart money would be on Leonidas.

Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:39:44 PM EDT
[#36]

Maximus, Leonidas would suddenly go all slow motion and Maximus would hack him to pieces.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:40:27 PM EDT
[#37]
I'm sure it's been said many times.

Leonidas

He was trained from a young age to be a warrior. Especially as he was a second born and wasn't expected to be king.

Marcus Aurelius  was a philosopher king. I'm sure he knew how to swing a sword but I'm sure he lacked the intense training of King Leonidas.

Shit...RIF...

I'd still pick Leonidas over Maximus Decimus Meridius. One came from a warrior society the other was a soldier. Much like the Arcadians the Spartans met on the road.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:45:22 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm of Spaniard blood, and they called Maximus the spaniard...so he has my vote
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:47:28 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Leonidas

He was trained from a young age to be a warrior. Especially as he was a second born and wasn't expected to be king.

Marcus Aurelius  was a philosopher king. I'm sure he knew how to swing a sword but I'm sure he lacked the intense training of King Leonidas.

I don't think the thread is about Leonidas fighting the old fart Marcus Aurelius.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:50:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Leonidas, because of more training which I think puts him over Maximus.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:54:34 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Leonidas.

He is the product of superior genetic engineering through generations of selective breeding.

He has been trained since birth to fight.

He is in much better shape.

Although Maximus could have a Rocky IV moment and take him, but the smart money would be on Leonidas.

+1  

Probably any Spartan warrior could make short work of Maximus.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:54:50 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Leonidas

I don't think the thread is about Leonidas fighting the old fart Marcus Aurelius.

neener-neener

I got it edited before you posted!

You must have slower dial-up than I do.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:55:42 PM EDT
[#43]
Leonidas
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 3:57:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Bigus Dickus
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:05:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Hand to hand, it might go to Maximus...maybe.

Swords, no shield, I'd say 50/50 draw IF the swords were both of the same material (we're talking 500+ years difference here. Leo had Bronze. Max had steel....)

Full uniform - spear, shield, helmet, etc. I'd lean towards Maximus if only because his armor was steel, not bronze. But if both had bronze. Leo would clean up.

Unlike Leo, Max got to be general by surviving untold numbers of battles and moving up the ranks. He wasn't a royal. So I'd think his toughness was on par with Leo's.

Now, 300 Spartans vs. 300 Roman infantry....Spartans by a mile.

300 Spartans vs. Maximus' Legion (about 5000 men), Maximus would have wiped them out on the second volley of flaming clay artillery charges and 3 meter long spears.... which is why the Romans eventually did wipe out the Greek Phalanxes - their field artillery was better at breaking up tight formations and they did a better job at breaking up charges on defense. But still, the Spartans at the gates were the best of the best at that time and for centuries afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:05:20 PM EDT
[#46]
300 is the ghey.
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:10:16 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

For SPARTAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Leonidas

Shit...RIF...

I'd still pick Leonidas over Maximus Decimus Meridius. One came from a warrior society the other was a soldier. Much like the Arcadians the Spartans met on the road.

Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:53:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Dude, Maximus was the head of the Felix Legions.  He'd spent his entire life as a soldier and warrior, and he was never defeated in man-to-man combat.  Also, he was smart enough to wear armor.  Leonidas would get his ass handed to him.  

Besides, the Romans were LIGHT YEARS ahead of the Spartans when it came to combat.  The Romans conquered the known world.  The Spartans couldn't even kick the Athenians' asses properly.  Comparing a Roman Legionnaire to a Spartan soldier is like comparing a Marine in Iraq today to some guy in the Civil War.  Night and day, people.

Link Posted: 8/5/2007 4:54:21 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Now, 300 Spartans vs. 300 Roman infantry....Spartans by a mile.

Unless its the 13th Pullo and Vorenus could pull it off
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top