Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2001 8:19:30 AM EDT
I usually not the alarmist type, but in this case...

CNN and Fox just reported it.

[url]http://www.FOXNEWS.COM/story/0,2933,36348,00.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:21:02 AM EDT
[#1]
From msnbc.com

WORD OF THE FOURTH recent case of anthrax in the United States came in a memo from top NBC executives Robert Wright and Andrew Lack and said the employee was being treated with antibiotics and was expected to make a full recovery.
      “We have no reason to believe that this particular incident has spread beyond this individual employee,” the memo said.
      The memo indicated that tests were conducted at NBC’s headquarters at 30 Rockefeller Center in recent days after “suspicious mail was received.”
      It said that the New York City Department of Health, the federal Centers for Disease Control and the FBI were contacted and the mail was tested.
      “All these tests came back negative. However, this morning, a later test on the employee came back positive for traces of cutaneous anthrax,” the memo said.
      New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani was expected to discuss the case at a news conference later Friday.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:22:14 AM EDT
[#2]
This whole anthrax thing is just going to get worse.  Due to the time it takes for symptons to show, there could be large numbers of people infected already.

Gonna get complicated talking about NBC being affected by a NBC weapon?!?
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:26:12 AM EDT
[#3]
The news was saying you need exposure to 10,000 anthrax bacteria to be fatal.

I believe the body can kill smaller doses, but then they are treating someone who was exposed to one bacteria.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:29:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
This whole anthrax thing is just going to get worse.  Due to the time it takes for symptons to show, there could be large numbers of people infected already.

Gonna get complicated talking about NBC being affected by a NBC weapon?!?
View Quote

Anywhere from 14-60 days?
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:32:06 AM EDT
[#5]
here is CNN's article [url]http://www.cnn.com/2001/HEALTH/conditions/10/12/nyc.anthrax/index.html[/url]

NEW YORK (CNN) -- NBC officials confirmed Friday that an employee at NBC in Rockefeller Plaza in Midtown Manhattan has tested positive for a skin anthrax infection.

The employee is in good condition and expected to recover, according to NBC executives.

"Today we learned that one of our employees at 30 Rockefeller Center has tested positive for the cutaneous (skin) anthrax infection," according to a note to NBC employees from NBC chairman Bob Wright and NBC president Andy Lack.

"It is important to note that this is not the same respiratory anthrax that has been reported in the news. Obviously, we are concerned for the employee's well-being. She has received treatment and is responding well. She is in no danger, and she should recover fully and completely. The Department of Health is coordinating her ongoing care."

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention , the FBI, and the New York City Department of Health are investigating.

Cutaneous anthrax is not as serious as inhalation anthrax.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:38:01 AM EDT
[#6]
And what about the Postal Employees that have handled all of this "Suspicious Mail"...  have they all been tested?  

Perhaps they are counting on it not leaking out of the envelope?

Then why would anyone open something that they thought was suspicious?

Only more questions - no answers....
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:39:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like the raggies may be targeting the media considering the folks in FL that got it.

If they are taking requests, can I toss Peter Jennings and Dan Rather's name in the hat?
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:44:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I am not sure we want this thread to go in this direction!  We all know that the liberal media has been buisy telling us how "safe" we would be with no guns.....  I just don't think we want to encouarge the thought that we were at all responsible for it!

[red]A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed. [/red]

Even if it means that those of us with the guns are the ones that protect the security of our free state while the liberals open their mail!
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:44:17 AM EDT
[#9]
The thing that is such bullshit is, they refused to give the name of the person who is infected, but they put the names and faces of the others on the air as soon as they could.
Fucking hypocrites !!!!!
[-!-]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:47:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
And what about the Postal Employees that have handled all of this "Suspicious Mail"...  have they all been tested?  

Perhaps they are counting on it not leaking out of the envelope?

Then why would anyone open something that they thought was suspicious?

Only more questions - no answers....
View Quote

We handled slightly over 3 million pieces last night in my operation alone.  If there is anything to be got, we got it.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:47:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:52:03 AM EDT
[#12]
I think anthrax has a one to six day incubation period and that death occurs within 24-36 hours of the onset of acute symptoms.  I am not sure if these numbers are for "weaponized" or aerosol anthrax or for anthrax in general.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:04:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Maybe the NBC employee was digging in the Suns trash looking for a story, and found the "letter"...
[:D]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:33:54 AM EDT
[#14]
The only treatment needed for anthrax is aspirin and any preventative vaccines should NEVER be used. Deal only with the symptoms and ignore the causes. This is the way we must deal with all terrorist activities.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:37:18 AM EDT
[#15]
[url]medicalcorps.org/p10.htm[/url]

some NBC facts
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:46:13 AM EDT
[#16]
I'm waiting to see Tom Brokaw deliver the nightly news in MOPP 3. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:57:43 AM EDT
[#17]
The only treatment needed for anthrax is aspirin
View Quote

Yesterday, I bought a bottle of 200 aspirin pills from the dollar store for only $1.  I wonder what those babies will sell for on ebay in a few weeks.z
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top