Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2001 8:01:09 AM EDT
I'm graduating from law school this year and want to go JAG Corps.  My problem is this... I went through USMC OCS about 5 years ago and can't imagine being anything other than a Marine, however, years of Football and other physical abuse has given me a bad knee among other things and I don't know if I could make it through Marine OCS again and then maintain the standard once in.  Army physical standards are much less and I think that I would have no problem getting in, I mean boot camp is only THREE WEEKS!!!

Am I being stupid about not wanting anything other than Marine... is it just something that I should get out of my head???  Should I be happy and proud all the same to be an Army JAG officer, or should I "hike up my skirt" and still try to stick it out with what I think is the best... the Marines...even though I might not make the grade anymore???
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I would say get yourself a thorough physical, and ask your doctor if you can expect your knees to withstand the punishment of OCS. I wasn't aware that the Marine Corps made officers repeat OCS if they had separated and wished to re-up.

Semper Fidelis and good luck.
Jarhead out.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd have to do it again because its been so long since I was at Quantico...
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:08:54 AM EDT
[#3]
Jarhead's spot on.  Visit your doctor and see what could be done.  You can do a lot of low-impact work to strengthen your knees.  It takes time but will do you a world of good.

Even though I'm Army (NG), I have to admit, the Marines are really the guys out there training everyone to fight now.  I wasn't aware you ewre completely ercycled either with OCS.

Good luck!

-SARguy
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:22:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Actually Army boot camp is 9 weeks, than theres Army OCS which is 14 weeks, but since you'd be a lawyer, I think its a direct appointment, so you might not have to go through all of it.  You'd have to talk to the recruiters for the details. Good Luck
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#5]
I did speak with the recruiter... for JAG, boot camp is only a weak 3 WEEKS... thats it... and then its 10 weeks of JAG training with the UCMJ...
Clearly in the army, you are a lawyer first and soldier second... In the Corps, you are a Marine first and a lawyer second...
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:31:40 AM EDT
[#6]
My bro-in-law in an Army JAG reservist.  Spent active time in the Navy as an enlisted dude, got out, got his undergrad and than JD.  IIRC, he said that OCS for him was basically a fork and knife type of thing.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:46:03 AM EDT
[#7]
No thoughts about the NAVY?  Become another Harmon Rabb and maybe you can work with someone like Catherine Bell.

Btw, The U.S. Navy's 226th Birthday is tomorrow, October 13, 2001.   [b]HAPPY BIRTHDAY[/b] [beer]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:49:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 8:53:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:40:37 AM EDT
[#10]
i was in the  army from 81-87.met a lot of cool jar heads. once a marine always a marine.stick with the USMC
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 3:28:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Hey Scipio,
           My Uncle was a JAG for the USMC. He retired as a Colonel after he did his 20 years.
Best thing I can tell you is to. DIET, RUN and GET IN SHAPE!!! And GO FOR IT!!!!

Link Posted: 10/14/2001 5:51:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Easy choice. Real men go Marines. The women join the Army!
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 6:24:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Easy choice. Real men go Marines. The women join the Army!
View Quote

BLUSTER BLUSTER @#$&@#$(#!&$

[b][size=1]Don Out[/size=1][/b]
[b][size=4][red]AIRBORNE![/red][/size=4][/b]

[i]"What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is the dearness only that gives everything value.
Heaven knows how to put a proper price on its goods."   Thomas Paine.[/i]
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Go run a PFT.  Measure your height and weight, and if necessary, get a body fat measurement to ensure you are within standards.  If the numbers are right, and your uniforms are still serviceable and fit properly, then what questions are there?  

Something just does not smell right here.  Call me what you want, but it seems very strange that you, an "Officer of Marines" does not seem to know what the basic fundamentals of being a Marine are.

During my 15 years, 4 months, and 1 day of active duty with all four Air Wings, and a 1 year attachment to Security Forces Battalion Pacific at Mare Island, successfully completing the SNCO Basic, and SNCO Career courses at Camp Geiger, and having a Marine that worked for me go on to finish his degree and become a Logistics Officer........I have never heard of a single instance of a Marine with broken time having to repeat any portion of basic or advanced training upon rejoining the Corps.

I know it has been nearly 2 years since I separated, but I will find it remarkable if things have changed that much in such a short period of time.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:28:43 AM EDT
[#15]
[marines]

USMC
Could not think of any other service after I joined the Marines.

Go for it theres no dishonor in trying.

Semper fi

Suds

"Bin Laden[whacko]"[sniper]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:36:32 AM EDT
[#16]
As someone who did not serve, and probably could not have, due to physical limitations, it is with more than a tinge of regret that I must say: be happy you can serve your country in the armed forces with pride ANYWHERE, be it in the Air Force, USMC, Army, Navy, USCG, whatever, however- go in, and do the best damned job you can.

Wherever you go, your service WILL be necessary AND appreciated, especially by this ex-AF brat.
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 7:41:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Zak hit it on the nose, "Once a Marine, always a Marine."  You wont be happy anywhere else.  I think you would find yourself saying "Well, when I was a Marine....." way too much.  Stick with the Corps.  Semper Fi
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 12:47:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/14/2001 1:05:03 PM EDT
[#19]
How about the Army Rangers or the Green Berets, don't they have OCS spots open for lawyers?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top