Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/12/2001 4:54:06 AM EDT
I've read a few and hate them.  They are like the evil twin of the John Carter, Warlord of Mars series. Slave this, master that, yap yap yap yap...
I'm looking around for a series that will fill my need for an Edgar Rice Burroughs fix.  I've read pretty much everything of his available.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:06:40 AM EDT
[#1]
You may want to try Philp J Farmers Tier World.

Not to mention a series that I just loved as a teen..the Horse clans.

Cheers

Oh I tried one Gor series...yeuch!!
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:09:52 AM EDT
[#2]
[b]Survivalist Series[/b] by Jerry Ahern, not to be confused w/ the TV show. I believe there are about 30+ paperbacks. Post-apocalyptic senario.

Added this link: [url]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0821739093/104-9112059-1249513[/url]

Mike
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:20:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I read up to the 25th book in the series. (Magicians of Gor---1988) John Norman does get into the "slave thing" pretty heavily! I would just skim over the bondage/sex slave crap and pay attention to the meat of the story line. Some are really good and would make excellent movies. Read "Marauders of Gor" before you give up on the series. It's one of the best!My wife would hate it when I would have a Gor jones. She didn't like the "OK, assume the position of the pleasure slave..."
There was a serial killer running around in the late 1970's named Gerald Gallego aka Sex Slave Killer who was fond of the Gor series. During his trial he is shown reading Gor books. He killed 11 people.
Have you read John D MacDonald's Travis McGee series? If not give that a look.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]
I read all the Gor stuff about 20 years ago.  The "action and adventure" in the first 4 or 5 books were pretty good.  I also enjoyed the humor.  

Then it started getting kind of formulaic.  The last few devolved to way too much on the psychology of domination, slavery and soft B&D.

In the final analysis, the series committed the fatal sin of getting boring.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:31:06 AM EDT
[#5]
This is one topic I never thought I'd see up here...

Someone I know that's pretty close to me was named after a character from that series. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:33:05 AM EDT
[#6]
You might look for "The Book of Skaith" it's a 3 part hardback done in the mid 1970's by Leigh Brackett. He was involved with the screenplay on one of the Star Wars movies. It reads like a real hard edge Rrated Burroughs. I pull this out every few years and read it. It's one of those "can't put it down till it's done" kind of books...
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:40:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Noname -

Leigh Brackett, who passed away recently, was a woman, not a man. She was a pioneer of the SF genre, and had been writing good SF since at least the 1950's. She was also a fairly popular SF screenwriter, having worked with Gene Rodenberry and George Lucas.

Link Posted: 10/12/2001 5:50:40 AM EDT
[#8]
DOH! You know I was wondering about the name but The Book of Skaith is so bloody I figgered a woman didn't write it. Just goes to show you they can be the more dangerous of the species! Thanks for the update and now I will have to look for more of HER books!
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 6:23:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top