Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/12/2001 4:09:55 AM EDT
Guy I have something here that making me NUTS!

I know alot of you have been here so I think this should be a good place to ask.

All my life I have wanted to be a cop,I have been working on getting in to school and now have the chance to go in Feb.

Now somebody that was like a Dad in alot of ways wants me to go in to the Air Force.
I know that the AF would be a good way to go but it's not really what I want,it's not the place I fell I could do the best.

I'm to old to fly,at 24 years old they tell me I could not meet the per recs. in time,I would have to have my ap. in by age 28 1/2.
This makes it even more tuff,I could be a cop in Just over a year.

I know the binnies are GREAT but the here don't really have it so bad and I would have all I need.
I just can't make up my mind,the deal with Afghan. does not matter to me if I am going to serve America I can take the good with the bad.
I gess the thing that has me is that would I(don't care about what other cops do)reall serve any less in Law Enforcement?

Tell me what you guys think on this.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 4:17:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Hey I did 4 years in the AF as a SP LE (security police Law enforcement) The benifits changed in 97 they are not as they used to be let me know if you have any questions  

john
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#2]
follow your gut....doesn't sound like the AF is something you want to do.....one important thing is quit procrastinanting and go do it....whatever "it" is......you aint gettin any younger and this aint no dress rehersal...good luck!
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 9:37:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Get a bs in criminal justice. it's easier to become a cop and you can get a federal job if you get sick of being a beat cop.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 10:54:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Get a bs in criminal justice. it's easier to become a cop and you can get a federal job if you get sick of being a beat cop.
View Quote

I disagree with this statement. Everyone I know who has a degree in CJ wishes they had gotten it in something else. Most PD's don't really care what your degree is in if they require one.
 If you get it in CJ you are limited in how you can apply it if you leave the PD. Not much call for CJ majors outside of policework. Most Federal jobs require degree, combo of college and experience or just a lot of experience. FBI traditionally wants Law and Accounting majors. Other agencies aren't as specific (I think).
 I've been on six-plus years and you can serve the American people as much or as little as you choose. I know guys who defenitely choose the latter. I personally enjoy the job but you will end up working off-duty and OT to pull in extra money trying to finance that M1A, Tromix upper, ACOG, Aimpoint etc.....
 Good Luck in whatever you choose.  
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 12:04:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Actually, a CJUS degree has a lot of opportunities other than police work. The school I am going to actually calls it "Sociology with a focus on criminal justice". Before I went to college, I did a lot of looking at differant jobs and what degrees they require. In reality, you are just about as limited as with any other degree. If you get an urge to go to law school, it'll work too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top