Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2001 5:16:14 PM EDT
Actually I have to present a speech against gun control. 5-7 minutes.
I need information. Good information.
I have a chance here to enlighten 27 people about the beauty of gun ownership.
So, anybody have any ideas, information, statistics, or general advice.  [8D]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:22:49 PM EDT
[#1]
If you want to do a long speech, I can post my high school research paper (15 pages) and you can outline and use what you want. I did an outline of my paper for a speech and my openly anti gun teacher said, "I laughed when I saw your topic, but I can't seem to find any arguments against what you said."
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:26:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I did a similar speech about 5 years ago in my college speech class.  

Two things you want to stress are: SAFETY and SECURITY.
SAFETY:  Despite the population increasing by roughly four times and gun ownership doubling, since 1930, the number of gun accidents have gone down over 80%.  Check out the AR-15.com home page for the link to the story about CDC's new finding that children are having fewer gun accidents than ever in history.  All of this took place before Brady, or any other type of Klinton gun legislation.  

SECURITY:  
Giving people the right to protect themselves reduces crime (See Gary Kleck's Books, and John Lott's book "More Guns, Less Crime.")  

I'll email you, if you want, with some other good quotes from the founding fathers and other facts from reputable sources.

Good luck, and let me know how I can help.  Also, explain how the NRA's Eddie Eagle program has helped kids learn about safety, and give out info on joining the NRA to your class!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:26:21 PM EDT
[#3]
You did a 15 page research paper in high school?
Ouch.
Sure, I would love to read it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:27:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
and give out info on joining the NRA to your class!
View Quote

I never thought of that. Good idea
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:35:40 PM EDT
[#5]
If you don't use ARben's speech then I would suggest a couple of things.
Quotes from our Founding Fathers and what their intention really was. With that I would talk about government abuses in the last century and the death toll. Along those lines, the Miller case which is often talked about by the anti's. The Miller case was never decided as the SC sent it back with instructions to reconsider. Miller died prior to any retrial and his cohort settled rather than go through the pain of another trial. Why misquote the case if your position on guns is correct?
John Lott is always worth talking about.
Talk about Switzerland and how law abiding they are with as many guns available as we have.
Talk about Great Britan which has a much higher violent crime rate. They skew their murder rate by deducting murders that they do not solve. What we call a double murder they call a single murder.
Just a few suggestions.

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:37:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Hey HG112---YOU'VE GOT MAIL!!!  Good luck- please email me if you're having any trouble and/or need any assistance.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:38:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I am not certain if this can help but here in Canada we can buy 5 million dollars of liabilty insurance for only $4.75.  I like to point out the there is NO WAY on this planet that the actualial tables are put together by PRO gunners.  Therefore scientifically speaking gun owners MUST be safe..

Pretty clear to me

Oh and BTW go to guntruths.com for some great stuff.

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:42:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Cripes, I'll just email it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:50:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
If you want to do a long speech, I can post my high school research paper (15 pages) and you can outline and use what you want. I did an outline of my paper for a speech and my openly anti gun teacher said, "I laughed when I saw your topic, but I can't seem to find any arguments against what you said."
View Quote

DUDE, can you email that to me?  I could probably write a 3-4 page paper this weekend on the subject, but never in my wildest dreams could I pound out 15 pages of it!  You definately da' man.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#10]
you've got mail. the works cited is at the bottom. [smoke]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:56:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Hey HG112---YOU'VE GOT MAIL!!!  Good luck- please email me if you're having any trouble and/or need any assistance.
View Quote

For god sakes man.
That's a whole lot of email!
[:P]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:57:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I'd definitely back any facts with citations, such as FBI crime statistics.  The FBI stats are more neutral than if you were to quote anyone from the NRA or related group.

Maybe focus on what real Freedom and Liberty are.  Maybe even some religious references, such as when Jesus called upon is disciples 'he who hath not a sword, let him sell his garment to purchase one' (find the specific citation).  Use this to show that Jesus himself encouraged carrying of arms, but not in aggression, but for self defense.  Jesus was not a pacifist, he had to do what he did, as it was his predestined fate, not passive acceptance of persecution.

You should pick a few points like that, and focus on each for about a minute or so.  I'm sure you could come up with a couple hours of material from these guys around here!

God bless America
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#13]
For anyone looking at my paper, all evidense is backed up by research. There is not a single sentance that was not utilizing a source.
Enjoy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:09:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Make no doubt about it, guns are inherently dangerous. That is what they are designed to be. To promote anything else would be like saying that the car was not meant for transportation. Over the years, due mostly to the lack of impending danger and an overwhelming sense of safety, many have become comfortable with the absence of a means for self protection. Although this has repetitively fueled the arguements against gun ownership it is occasionally shattered by events. Events like the LA riots. Events like Son of Sam, blah blah blah. Events like those most recent. In almost every case the general consensus is to acquire a firearm, especially by those who previously thought not necessary. Regardless of what comfort level is achieved the truth always comes through, People need the ability to protect themselves and their loved ones.

We now stand on the edge of possibly the greatest danger that this country has ever faced and it will possibly be fought at an individual level. The right to own and bear arms is now at the point of its greatest test and its greatest justification in over 100 years. This is the time that we have to look at what we've learned time and time again, we must preserve the second amendment.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:26:28 PM EDT
[#15]
ARben could you flip me a copy??

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:30:55 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
ARben could you flip me a copy??

View Quote

you've got mail
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:36:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Notice I used the federal papers as a source. That really bugs some people who say the founding father wanted to use the 2nd for the national guard!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:43:59 PM EDT
[#18]
My teacher (a devout liberal) told me up front that I would get a bad grade if I did my speach on gun control.  Sure enough, I got the proudest c of my life.

That was before Al Gore invented the internet, We had to exchange out term papers the old fashioned way..xerox.

You guys have it made, cut-n-paste, OK I'm done, whose got the beer!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 6:55:01 PM EDT
[#19]
I never copied a paper. Besides the fact that I could write a better paper than the ones on the internet, it just wouldn't feel right getting any credit for work that wasn't mine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:32:38 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got a little collection of stuff on another computer I'll email over to you...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top