Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2001 3:17:27 PM EDT
well not me, but my friend. we're in canada. we'are both in college, and our course moves really fast. he can't miss a week let alone 2 months or more. we've put a lot of money into this course and missing that week would prolly fail him for the year.

i don't know any more than this.

realy guys, i'm begging. give me some help.

here comes the calvary!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:25:59 PM EDT
[#1]
not sure about canada, but college is generally an acceptable "excuse" for not serving.  guess it depends on who ya get to talk to.  an ass might not agree with me.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Your best bet, outside of lying, is to explain the situation to the county clerk, unless it's a federal court.
You should post whether you're Americans going to school in Canada, or Canadians.
The court system in Canada is different than the USA.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:31:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Just show up with a white pillow case on your head and a swastika on your arm...[;)]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:34:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Tell them you are pro-gun.

In Canada, you will be considered unfit for Jury Duty since they consider wnyone who owns guns to be evil.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:37:27 PM EDT
[#6]
I can't see whay they can't postpone it to the summer when there are no classes.

OSA
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:43:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:47:26 PM EDT
[#8]
My brother, father & I were all thrown off the jury for having a college education. The last thing the defense wants is jurors who understand law and debate, saying you are pre-law should get you kicked off even faster.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:49:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:09:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Hmmm....I have been there, so what I did was first talk to my instructors. My instructors agreed to help me out and one (my political science instructor) was actually geeked. He told me if it was a long trial, I could write a paper on my experiences and he would grade my entire semester on that paper. The others gave me my assignments and told me to come back and take my tests later. They were willing to submit my grades late. If your instructors arent willing to let you participate in the democratic system, talk to your Dean. If the Dean is unwilling to cooperate, then remind him that this would make a lovely story for a local news reporter.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:24:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:34:02 PM EDT
[#12]
keep em coming

we are canadians going to school in canada

canadian girls kick ass!

OffRoad
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Simple just wear a tie for jury selection.

They will take you out right away.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:19:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Just say: "He is guilty."  Or the best one I used is that I am biased.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Show up with a rubber chicken, a tube of KY Jelly with a whip tied around your neck.  Chances are, they'll excuse you from the process.[BD]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:30:36 PM EDT
[#16]
ok, thanks a lot, i got what i need, you don't have to post any more.

but you can if you want to :)

my frind was a little doubtful if this would work , but I had faith in you guys.

thanks again
OffRoad
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:28:15 PM EDT
[#17]
I inadvertantly avoided Federal jury duty when the judge asked me if I had any experience with courtroom proceedings. I proudly told him about the time I represented myself in a small-claims process, and easily won the case. The lawyers were all busy writing stuff down, and I was outa there in short order. Oh, yeah: I wore a jacket and tie... I think I was the only one, as they all were dressed in shorts and t-shirts. I also was sporting a fresh flat-top (haircut, not AR...).

FITTER out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top