Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2001 1:54:01 PM EDT
I'm just beginning the research on AR's.  I would like to eventually get an AR-15 style rifle with either a 16" or 20" barrel (or both!).  Anyway, I was looking only at Bushmaster, but recently I spoke with some people who felt Armalites were the best?

Is that true, or are they equal?  I know there are a lot of manufacturers, could you guys give me some advice what to look for and what to avoid?  This will just be a target gun mainly, but I still may opt for the 16" barrel and get something higher powered for LONG distance shooting!

Thank you all!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#1]
This topic has been discussed a lot lately.  I will say ArmaLite.  Quality, fit, finish are excelent.  I am partial to ArmaLite.  Not to say Bushmaster is bad.  Get one of both! Problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#2]
When faced with the same dilemma, I got one of each. Armalite's w/ a 20" barrel set up for longer distances. Bushmaster w/ 16" barrel set up for shorter distances. Happy w/ both. Can't say a bad word about either.

Short answer: You'l be happy either way.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:21:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Do most gun stores carry both?  I want to know the same thing.  A lot of my local stores carry one brand or the other.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:36:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Do most gun stores carry both?  I want to know the same thing.  A lot of my local stores carry one brand or the other.
View Quote

I got both of mine from the same store, albeit at different times. Sadly, they'll be the last I'll get to buy here in CA.

Anyway, I think most people will agree that if your local store only has one or the other, you'll be happy regardless of which one you get.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:58:47 PM EDT
[#6]
[green]Armalite[/green]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#7]
We did this last week.

[size=6][b][red]CHEVY v. FORD[/size=6][/b][/red]

"Ask what you will,
just stop asking the same tired, old, damn questions."
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Should not leave Rock River out of the running!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:50:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Consider.......m15a2......would`nt want anything else.........next investment will probably be a bushy varmint rifle.....[:)]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:55:37 PM EDT
[#10]
"Tastes great"

"Less filling"

Both are excellent. ArmaLite has better finish and fit, and a lifetime warranty.

Buy one of both- you won't be unhappy. I prefer ArmaLite, but that's just me. Both brands have very strong brand loyalty among their customers, hence the partisanship on this forum.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:15:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends on what you like. Armalite makes pretty collector guns, Bushmaster makes weapons. You can't go wrong with either, but for my money Bushmaster is the better value.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:45:32 PM EDT
[#12]
I apologize about bringing up one of "those" subjects, but I appreciate the responses.

I would definitely like one of each, but unfortunately that damn money tree has sprouted yet!

Can someone tell me what the Armalites M15A2s are selling for?  I see Bushys for around $725-$750, but haven't found any prices on the Armalites.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:51:08 PM EDT
[#13]
They are both nice. I've spent the week shooting both and today I bought an Armalite. Something about the green furniture. Oh, and the groupings!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top