Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2001 7:57:39 AM EDT
Rifle not a pistol for herself or should I just go with the pistol? I have been trying to talk her in to getting a firearm for 3 years and now she want one. But she wants a pistol because she says that it will be easier for her to carry.(Now I live in IL we have no CCW here.)

She tells me that if the SHTF and I left she know I would bring my pistol with me. My pistol right now says home when I'm not there and she knows how to use it.

I try and tell her that a rifle would be better because of the firepower it has and that if SHTF I would not let her out of the house and if we had to move because of something I'd like my back up to have a rifle not a pistol.

There are going to be some out there that say the pistol would be better for home defense. I could not agree with you more about this but if I'm not home then my pistol will be at home still so she has a pistol. But if I'm not home because the SHTF then wouldn't a rifle be better then?

I'd like to know what you guys think thanks. I'd also like any wives or female point of view and the rifle I want to get her is an AR-15.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:00:27 AM EDT
[#1]
this is easy! just buy her a rifle, better yet, an AR15! no convincing needed!
[heavy]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:06:03 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife is CRAZY about my AR-40.

Thats an AR15, with an OLY .40 S&W upper.

I've got the Trijicon Reflex II sight on it as well.

She wasn't doing too well with the handguns, but when she shouldered my AR-40, she was knocking down bowling pins at 25 yds with ease.

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:06:26 AM EDT
[#3]
I get the wife a lil. 410,she digs the hell out of it.
The point being get her waht she likes and same as you.

I don't about but I had a tuff time getting her to go to the range and lear how to use it but after I got her a gun she likes it was easy.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The solution to this problem is very simple.  Look at it this way, you have the perfect excuse to buy Two new guns.  Just tell her that it would be best if she had Both a pistol and a rifle.  Anything less would be unacceptable. :)
Thats what i would do anyway.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:11:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Get her an AR anyway and tell her "Honey, I always get the best for you and only the best". And the best it is!...right after she shoot it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:13:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Get her:
A pistol (my wife really enjoys shooting 1911A1s, but is lukewarm at best on rifles)

A 12 Ga Shotgun (This with buckshot/slug combo is IMO best for home defense)

An AR15- this gives highly accurate high-rate firepower, and is both highly distinctive (if threat of force is needed) as well as concealable (broken down & stashed in a backpack).

Don Out
AIRBORNE!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:15:38 AM EDT
[#7]
As much as I would love for you to get another AR, I think I would get her a shotgun.  A 410 maybe?

If she's at home this would be the most practical. If she's away from home, then she is right about the pistol.

Just my .02 FRN.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:19:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Get her both, an AR and a good 1911, along with a fasionable Tactical rig and then train her to be a fine tuned killing machine capable of holding off even the most evil of oponants.

Hey, it worked on my wife. she make GI Jane look like a girlscout leader.

[:)>]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:29:18 AM EDT
[#9]
i just let my wife shoot mine.nuf said she wanted one.now i have one each for myself,her and my twins. they are only 3 1/2 years old but it was a good excuse to buy a couple more ar's and if that doesn't work there is always [sex]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:42:24 AM EDT
[#10]
If she wants a handgun, get her a handgun.  Get her what she don't want, she wont use it and it will be worthless for her protection.

I did this to my wife, and she put the Glock 23 in the safe and wouldn't touch it.  She wanted a small frame revolver in .357mag so I bought it for her and taught her to shoot it.  She's carried it since.  She can carry it in her purse very easy because it goes everywhere with her anyway.  She can't put a rifle in her purse.

Anyway, if that's what she wants I think you should get her a handgun she likes and feels comfortable with and teach her to use it.

Me and my wife have been carrying for 10 yrs.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#11]
I have the same project going on at my house.  My wife had a run in on our property with a stranger after dark.  Now she understands why we have surefire lights all over the house and on the shotgun.

I have a Saiga .410 with 10 rd mag.  Wiht slugs it is like a carbine.  I also thought 20 gauge or my 12 gauge with those Federal tactical loads.  Than it hit me, an AR with a 9mm Oly upper, because I love her that much!  I am going to do an SBR with it too, maybe an 8" barrel and hang a light under it.  I figure that would be a great Urban and nighttime gun.  I also think she could become very proficient quickly with a gun larger than a Glock or 1911.  And since it is still a pistol caliber, she can practice at my favorite indoor range every month.  We all know practice is the key.

Last thing, with an AR like that, she will draw lots of attention, and she likes to be "cool".  So she will learn to love the gun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:55:56 AM EDT
[#12]
Ooops!  I thought this was another body piercing
thread......
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:20:11 AM EDT
[#13]
The First Rule of winning a gunfight is to have a gun.  If you wife will carry a handgun more often, I say go for it.

That said, you might consider an inexpensive, but good quality, wheel gun and then looking for a bargan on an AR.

Chances are you could get away with spending only a $100 bucks or so over what you'd planned, and end up with both a handgun and a rifle/carbine.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:25:06 AM EDT
[#14]
12ga shotgun. The pattern and takedown of a smaller bore is not worth using. My daughter (16 now) has been shooting a 12 ga for years, so size/age is not a discounting factor. Explain to the wife that she has a greater chance of protecting herself with the shotgun than with the pistol.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#15]
The thing is that my wife has never shot a rifle before but has my Glock 22 now she want's a Glock 23 or 19. The shotgun is out of the question for her she will not touch one.

Right now for just home defense she does have the Glock 22 and she knows right where it is and how to load and shot it. She has only gone to the range with me once she said she had fun but never has gone back with me.

Truth is that I almost feel like if I spend that $550 for the Glock,ammo and mags that it will do is site there and never be used or only used once when she get's it and when ever I just want an extra pistol at the range.  
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:25:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Tayous1,  
If thats what she wants get it for her.  We both know the 23 will be a excellent defensive handgun and if she feels comfortable with it and likes it that says it all.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 11:33:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Tayous1,  
If thats what she wants get it for her.  We both know the 23 will be a excellent defensive handgun and if she feels comfortable with it and likes it that says it all.
View Quote

I found the Glock 19 and 23 used cheap also I think it was around $359.99 and $379.99 with night sights.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:17:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Get her what she wants, then get her what she needs.  It's only money
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:33:07 PM EDT
[#19]
my .02  get the 23 w/night sights, spend 100$ and get a .357sig barrel. Has almost the power as a .357 mag.

a ported barrel is great, BUT will give you night blindness is shot after dark. All the blast goes straight up in your eyes.

[USA]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:51:49 PM EDT
[#20]
My wife decided one day that she should get a pistol license (carry permit). She went through the paper work and safety course. "She" bought a 38 spl. snubby and shoots it pretty well. As far as the SHTF, she has an AR but I think she would opt for a shotgun.

Take her to the range and let her shoot a bunch of stuff. Let her decide......But make sure she is aware of the responsibility of having a firearm for protection. She knows the do's and don't rules (or should), but she must understand that practice is key and she must schedule practice. My wife only gets out once a month but at least she does get out!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:06:25 PM EDT
[#21]
How long you been married, son???? [}:D]

If more than three years, you should know you DON'T "talk" women into anything.

You show them stuff, and they make their own decision. Or at least you let them think they made their own decision.

Anything you ACTUALLY "talk her into" WILL come back to bite you.

[:D]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:17:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#23]
I just took her to the range a few hours ago to try out a few gun's. She did not like anything but the Glocks and did not like the baby Glock so I asked her what one she liked and she told me the Glock 23.

At the place all they had was a heavy barrel NM Ar-15 and she told me that it was to heavy for her and to big so I'm going to go with the Glock 23 for right now.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#24]
how do you think buying her something that she doesn't really want is going to help the situation?  it's not about what you want, it's about what she wants, is comfortable using, and [i]will actually use[/i] if she has to.  if she's said ix-nay to the rifle, you'd be a fool to go that route.

however, if she doensn't shoot it, it doesn't matter what you get her.  she needs to know that she can't just let that gun sit there and wait until it's needed.  if (notice i said if) i were in your shoes, i would tell her she doesn't get anything unless she learns to shoot it and does so regularly.  what good is a gun to protect herself if she doesn't know (really know) how to use it, if she's not extremely comfortable with it?  in that case, she probably is more likely to shoot her own foot off.

but i'm sure you're going to tell her this anyway.  [;)]

dang, my spelling sucks tonight.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:57:15 PM EDT
[#25]
If you are going to get her a shotgun, I recommend a 20ga at least. Ditch the buckshot if you have anyone else in the house, or close neighbors and use bird shot. At the ranges inside a home where it's most likely to be used, even #8's will launch a bad guy and ruin his day.
Just my $.02

Robert
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:26:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Oh good god, buy both.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:13:09 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
how do you think buying her something that she doesn't really want is going to help the situation?  it's not about what you want, it's about what she wants, is comfortable using, and [i]will actually use[/i] if she has to.  if she's said ix-nay to the rifle, you'd be a fool to go that route.

however, if she doensn't shoot it, it doesn't matter what you get her.  she needs to know that she can't just let that gun sit there and wait until it's needed.  if (notice i said if) i were in your shoes, i would tell her she doesn't get anything unless she learns to shoot it and does so regularly.  what good is a gun to protect herself if she doesn't know (really know) how to use it, if she's not extremely comfortable with it?  in that case, she probably is more likely to shoot her own foot off.

but i'm sure you're going to tell her this anyway.  [;)]

dang, my spelling sucks tonight.
View Quote

That is what I'm doing right now! I'm letting her choose what she really wants. Right now I have a place that is selling a Glock 23 and that I'm going to get her.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:39:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I would let her shoot a bunch of stuff and then let her have her pick.

Different strokes for different folks. The smart money says a shotgun for home defense, but I prefer a Model 19.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 7:40:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I would let her shoot a bunch of stuff and then let her have her pick.

Different strokes for different folks. The smart money says a shotgun for home defense, but I prefer a Model 19.
View Quote

She just did. She shot all the different sizes of the Glocks, S&W 2,4,6 inch 357/38spl, 9mm and 40 sig, Beretta 92/96, Kahr K9,P9,K40 and S&W99 in 9mm and 40. I just covered about every gun I could think of it cost about $10 per gun and then ammo 1-50rd box 38spl 4-50rd boxes 9mm and I have a lot of 40S&W. It cost me about $160 for the hole thing.

The one reason why she did pick the Glock 23 was she said that it fit her hand the best and I did tell her about the Glock 19 but she said if I have 1000rds of 40S&W ammo why go out and buy 1000rds of 9mm for a different gun and now we can share ammo and mags.

She also said that the Glock's to her had less recoil then any of the others pistols she shot.

I also told her about the shotgun and let her shoot my 590A1 with 4# and 71/2# shot and my old Stevens 311 20ga double barrel with 4# and 71/2# shot she said to me that she liked the 590A1 better then the 311.
Link Posted: 10/12/2001 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#30]
WARNING: Shameless plug follows:

Quoted:
Rifle not a pistol for herself or should I just go with the pistol? I have been trying to talk her in to getting a firearm for 3 years and now she want one. But she wants a pistol because she says that it will be easier for her to carry.(Now I live in IL we have no CCW here.)
View Quote

Why not compromise and get the [b]Ruger PC4[/b] that I have advertised in [b]Equipment Exchange[/b]?  Its a rifle that fires pistol ammo....

[:D]

[sniper]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top