Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2001 1:21:20 AM EDT
Friend just asked me about using chlorine for water purification VS. using the purification tablets , drops, or filters.  Any comments?

Tate
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 1:29:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Try 1/8th to 1/4 of a teaspoon of bleach per gallon of water, depending on the clarity of the water.  Good for about 6 months.  Just a couple of sources....

As for pure chlorine.... I don't know.  

[url]http://extension.usu.edu/publica/foodpubs/watersto.htm[/url]

[url]http://www.majorsurplusnsurvival.com/tip%20water%20storage.htm[/url]

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:02:10 AM EDT
[#2]
In water world Kevin Costner peed into coffee filters.

Yeah I'm sure that works.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:27:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, Stealth.  If bleach can be used (in my earlier message, I meant bleach but said chlorine) then are there any advantages to using purification drops or tablets??

Tate
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Just as a side not, if you were to use chlorine, like from a pool supply place, it is a 10% solution where bleach is somewhat just under 5%. In other words, use less than half the ammount you wouild when using bleach. Oh yeah, also remember bleach contains carcenagens(sp?).

556mm
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:11:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I forget why, but Iodine (the water purification tablets) is suposed to work better than bleach, but in a pinch bleach does work.

If you go to a camping/outdoors store, like EMS or REI you can find water purifiers that are rated to filter out bacteria, viri and even nuclear waste.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:29:43 AM EDT
[#7]
I have a MSR Miniworks ceramic water filter I've used backpacking for 3 years. This is the same water purifier issued to the USMC. This thing works GREAT! You can put even put the tube in beer or soda and get straight H2o when you use it. No impurities. If you're worried about contaminated (meaning in a chem/bio war scenario) water, I'm not too sure what it would do, but the Marines are told to only drink bottled water, or in an emergency, filtered, boiled, and iodined water. You can see the website here:

[url]http://www.msrcorp.com/[/url]

It cost me about $65 a few years ago. Easy to clean too!

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 2:17:47 PM EDT
[#8]
yes, the current types of backpacking water filters made by PUR and others can filter all the way up to virus level.  that and some extra filters will get you a long way. (80+ gallons per filter cartridge)

i have no idea why some of you insist on talking about purifying water in all kinds of ridiculous ways from back in the caveman days.  have y'all tried drinking water after you've poured that noxious stuff into it???

i prefer to use technology created in the last 30 years to filter my water, thank you.

i can tell who does and doesn't ever actually get out into Mother Nature to do some real camping.  heh heh.

scott out
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top