Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2001 11:08:43 PM EDT
Has anyone checked these out they are a serious upper replacement option.  you cant hold a lot of rounds in the magazines but a 500grain bullet out of an ar??   check them out www.tromix.com I wish i could affor the ammo

John
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:05:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I had the pleasure of meeting the owner and looking at his products at the Tulsa show last year and was impressed.
The owner is a craftsman and based on talking with him, looking at photos of his shop and the quality of his products I think quality and customer service and very important to him. I know the fit and finish on every part there was excellent.
As soon as I can afford one I plan to add one of the .44 mag uppers to my collection.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 5:59:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Right now it looks like he offers 3 calibers... 50AE, 440 Corbon Magnum and a 458 Socom.

He shows a picture of the 458 using the same .223 USGI mag, only the 458 is single stacked.

So what's the purpose of a large caliber AR?  Hunting only?  Defensive?

What's do you think the effective range of these calibers are?

I like the 50AE, its the only one shown to retain the carry handle and iron sights (both front and rear)... to me, that says that this can be used for defense/offense or hunting.

I emailed Tony to ask him about the mags for the 50AE, cant tell if ALL his large calibers use the USGI mags.  I'm thinking the 50AE would be a nice addition to someone's gun collection (remember, I dont have any guns, sold 'em).

M.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:08:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I too looked at the Tromix uppers at the Tulsa show last spring, all of the uppers looked to be quality!  I like the 440 Corbon myself, it uses the same mag as 5.56.  Anyone know if they'll be at the fall show Oct. 20-21?
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 7:59:38 AM EDT
[#4]
Got a pretty quick email back from Tony,

The primary purpose of the large caliber uppers is for fun recreational shooting and showing off at the range.  However, they can also be used for hunting and home offense if you like.  Most guys either buy them just for fun, or for hunting.  The 50AE is good to about 125 yards, then it falls like a rock.  The 458 SOCOM is good to about 150 yards and the 440 CorBon can stretch its much lighter bullet out to about 175.  It is not an accuracy problem, just that these big slow bullets start to drop pretty quick at the extended ranges.  They will all shoot five shots into 1.5" or less at 100 yards.

The 50AE uses a standard GI magazine with a spacer block installed in the front and a special follower.  Capacity is 10 rounds.  All uppers are $865, but the detachable carry handle would add $85.  The lowers are $250.  Ammo for the 50AE is about $20 for a box of 20, .458 and 440 ammo is about $30 for a box of 20.  The .475 Tremor will not have factory ammo available.  The Tromix shop resides in Broken Arrow, Oklahoma.
View Quote

Thanks Tony :)

Mark
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top