Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2001 7:24:55 PM EDT
The news reported tonight that 700#'s of shape charges and 300 blasting caps were stolen from a construction site today.

My defense condition just went up a couple of levels.  My wife works downtown across from the Federal Court building, and that has me a little concerned.  

Anyone else in the Houston area heard about this?  Are you concerned?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:31:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Damn, you'd think with all of the shit going down lately they'd be keeping tighter control. Suspicious for an inside job.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:36:32 PM EDT
[#2]
The news here reported that a shed for the East Bay Municipal Utility District(S.F. Bay Area) had been broken into and that maps and diagrams for our water system had been stolen along with a hydraulic wrench.

Alex

Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:38:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Holy Shit!
Where the hell is their security!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:42:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds to me like our country had better get its collective shit together.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:50:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The news reported tonight that 700#'s of shape charges and 300 blasting caps were stolen from a construction site today.

My defense condition just went up a couple of levels.  My wife works downtown across from the Federal Court building, and that has me a little concerned.  

View Quote

I missed this. Who is reporting this? And YES I AM concerned.
Ever think about some of Houston's overpasses at rush hour(all day on I-10)?[:X*]
SSD
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

I missed this. Who is reporting this? And YES I AM concerned.
Ever think about some of Houston's overpasses at rush hour(all day on I-10)?[:X*]
SSD
View Quote

Well after I read this I had to run out & pick up a relative at the airport & heard a new report confirming this on AM radio.

It was a place in NE Harris County that supplies commercial explosives to oil&gas drilling companies.  Initial estimate is 700lbs of explosives & 300 blasting caps.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:26:38 PM EDT
[#8]
... really, is that enough to do any serious damage?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:32:39 PM EDT
[#9]
On the off chance that you're serious, Winston Wolf, yeah its plenty.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:38:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
On the off chance that you're serious, Winston Wolf, yeah its plenty.
View Quote

... just checking to see who's awake [b]drjarhead[/b], well, at least you!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:05:25 PM EDT
[#11]
BTT
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:07:54 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.click2houston.com/hou/news/stories/news-101154420011010-191012.html

Full story here!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:18:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I need to move in the middle of nowhere.  
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:38:30 PM EDT
[#14]
Were these really shaped charges or a bulk explosive? Or didnt they say?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
The news here reported that a shed for the East Bay Municipal Utility District(S.F. Bay Area) had been broken into and that maps and diagrams for our water system had been stolen along with a hydraulic wrench.

Alex

View Quote

Well, I guess there is benefit to living in Martinez and drinking that Delta swill they try to pass for water. East Bay MUD is the good stuff. Man, I don't believe they don't have guards watching that stuff.

Leave it to the Bay Area.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:28:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
[url]www.click2houston.com/hou/news/stories/news-101154420011010-191012.html[/url]

Full story here!
View Quote

link
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I heard a radio report of the EBMUD incident and it is being considered to be a random theft that is getting attention because of the timing. The valve wrench doesn't give you access to the water supply, it just lets you turn it on and off. The maps are of course interesting, but they think it's not a terrorist related theft.
View Quote

Ya, I heard this on the radio as well. But the valve wrench does give access to the water supply in a limited way. In fact, this same wrench was used in an attempt to open something pertaining to the EBMUD system. I can't remember WTF it was as I spaced out thinking of the ramifications of this act. "They"(whoever it was,terrorist or no) were thwarted because the object had locks on it.
The radio station went on to say not to be worried because it would take truck loads of chemicals to contaminate our water supply.

Alex
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:29:20 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Sounds to me like our country had better get its collective shit together.
View Quote

No worries...

They will after the second terrorist incident.[:(!]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:33:07 AM EDT
[#19]
I understand that Law Enforcement has their hands full but there is a tremendous need to be proactive where all threats and potential threats are concerned.  

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#20]
It was probably one of you who wanted to setup a defensive perimiter around their AO.

[;)]

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 4:52:08 AM EDT
[#21]
The BATF will give the recent theft of explosives their full attention -- right after they finish making sure that no one has a bayonet lug on a post-ban rifle. [rolleyes]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 8:10:05 AM EDT
[#22]
Nothing to worry about - they're only 'shaved' charges according to the newspaper report.  At least they're well groomed.

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:21:13 AM EDT
[#23]
I've done patrol out in the Jacinto Port area. It's covered in big grid layout of nice concrete roads, and large bomb proof ordinance bunkers. You can drive right up to them. They are all old leftovers from WWII. The military supply ships used to come up into the Port of Houston, and load up. There are hundreds of those old bunkers out there. Some of them are being used by private companies for storage. Just like the one that got broken into.
I wouldn't think someone would take 700 pounds of explosives, unless they had a use for it???
Not something one just leaves laying around one's garage now is it? 700 lbs. of explosives would make several car bombs, huh?

Rich
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Yes, 700lbs combined with any of a number of substances in a van or truck would make some pretty nasty car bombs...[:(!]

As far as working Downtown, I'd be more worried about someone trying to take out one of the plants on the ship channel.  Some of those process chemicals used in the petrochemical plants wouldn't be too friendly if released in large quantities.  I grew up in Chanelview, and my mom and little brother still live there.  My father-in-law is one of the plant managers out there as well.  He says security there isn't nearly as tight as the news has been making it out to be.  Man, I should have stayed in bed today.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:48:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Just to let you know that the FBI about a hour ago put out a nationwide alert for a terrorist act of some kind "in the next several days"
[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?id=59954[/url]
Wonder if this is related to the missing explosives?
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 2:28:32 PM EDT
[#26]
The explosives were found a few days later.  All accounted for plus some butts to be charred.

Apparantly, they buried the stuff in a nearby field.  No other news...
Link Posted: 10/31/2001 7:46:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Yes, my next-door neighbor is a LEO working for Baytown and he said that it was their top priority to find it, along with the other towns in that area.  It was found a few days later and those guys are in deep shite.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 3:19:16 AM EDT
[#28]
Hey GodBless,

Do you have a gun shop up near Humble?
Link Posted: 11/1/2001 8:08:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hey GodBless,

Do you have a gun shop up near Humble?
View Quote

Sportsman's Outlet !!

Just east of Humble when driving towards Atascocita on FM1960.

Gary is the owner, real nice guy!

Very nice indoor range & CCW classes.
Rifles can be shot on the indoor range too.

Prices are better than Carter's (I hate Carter's)
 BUT not as cheap as Astrohall gun show prices.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top