Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2001 2:22:29 PM EDT
Which do you have?  Which is better?  Which is more secure?  I have a feeling I'll be in and out all the time, so I will probably spring for the $150 option of the digital.  Appreciate any help or info.  Spray
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 2:49:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I wish I had gotten the digital key pad for convenience and for quicker access. When I bought my safe the extra money wasn't there. Every dime went into buying the biggest safe I could. Getting the digital key pad meant getting a smaller safe.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I got the dial, just cause, I like the looks, I don't know which is more secure to be honest with you.  I guess if someone gets in they deserve what ever they can haul off.  including 168 bthp up their ass!!  
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 2:54:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a S&G 6120 Digital lock.  It works great and you can have something like 9 combinations to open up the safe.  It has a time lock feature so you can enter the combo and wait up to 9 minutes before you can open the safe.  Dual 9v batteries supply the voltage for the lock to work. (one primary and one backup)  I replace both each year.

The only problem I see, is that it is very easy to walk up to the safe and rip off the digital keypad.  Then walk away.  When the owner wants to open the safe he is sol until he buys another digital keypad from S&G.  

EMP?  Is is possible that an EMP blast might make it impossible for you to open up the safe?  That would majorly suck.

Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:04:09 PM EDT
[#4]
What about if your house catches on fire. Can you still open the safe with a digital lock?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:07:33 PM EDT
[#5]
It has its own power supply usually from a 9v battery.
If you mean after a fire I would think even a dial would be melted beyond use. Would probably have to have a professional get into it.
Anybody know for sure?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:20:28 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What about if your house catches on fire. Can you still open the safe with a digital lock?
View Quote

I rotary lock would probably be fired/melted also.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:23:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Dial for me.  (tin-foil hat on)  Just in case there's an incident that may render electronic devices useless.  (tin-foil hat off)  But then again, these days it may not be too much of a tin-foil hat issue!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:41:48 PM EDT
[#8]
i went with a Dial, saw an S&G Digital take a dump on one of our demo safes in the shop i worked at. they had to send some one out to drill the safe!!!!!! you cant swap the keypad with the door closed. if you could anyone could just bring there own key pad to there B&E. both a dial and digital would probably be DOA after a fire and you would need profesional help anyway
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:43:50 PM EDT
[#9]
i dont think EMP works on a battery
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:54:28 PM EDT
[#10]
... I like a good old fashioned S&G dial.

Kinda like a Colt 1911 versus a Colt 2000 to me.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#11]
digital dial crap is for the type of guys that have laser pointers and pimpy crap on their rifles. If you want something reliable that is not easy to break get the dial. If you want something cool to impress your friends that will break or malfunction or run out of batteries get the digital dial.

Shawn
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:57:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Dial on the gun safes but I have a quickie access handgun safe by the bed with a hand shaped touch pad.  Very quick and battery operated.

CB
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Both are secure. I suggest you go to a gun show or dealer and check out for yourself which you prefer. I have digital and have never had a problem in the 4 years I have had it. Its your call since you are laying out the dough.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:12:51 PM EDT
[#14]
I like the dial.  It's just more sexy.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#15]
I got the digital after much thought on this subject.  Here are my reasons for getting the digital.

1.  If your like me your in your safe all the time.  Go look at a safe or two and try putting in the combo a few times.  Dials suck they take for ever and if you miss a number by just a little you have to start over again.  If you need to get into your safe quickly you can not with a dial.  

2.  Talking to a few locksmiths.  Changing a combo on a dial is a pain in the ass.  You can easily screw it up and if your brain farts and you close your safe with a screwed up combo your hosed.  Digital you don't delete your old combo until your sure your new one works.  Call it fart head friendly.

3.  Most safes are ment to keep out the non-professional theif.  If your unlucky enough to have a PRO break your safe he will do it with or with out a digital.

4.  Fire rating is the same.

5.  The digital was a free upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:55:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I was wondering what happens if the Digital looses power, ie: dead battery or short somewhere?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:57:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
i dont think EMP works on a battery
View Quote

An EMP can kill it regardless of how it is powered. It will also probably wipe out whatever non-volitile memory the lock uses to remember the combination.

What I would like is a safe that has both. An electric lock you can open quickly in the dark, and a mechanical lock that allows you to open it if the other one fails.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:33:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Had the S&G dial recomended for two reasons...

1: EMP. If it happens, your most likely not going to get your hands on the appropriate weapon for your current threatcon.

2: The safe is a lifelong investment. What type of lock would you expect to last the length of your remaining life?

Gotta go with the dial on this one.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:53:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Digital fire safe!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:06:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Here's an interesting question: I once saw a safe featured on "American Shooter" (TNN, Saturdays) that had a couple of nifty features.

It had a digital keypad that did not require batteries. Instead, it was charged by turning a dial before entering the combo. It also could be broken down by unlocking the internal latches that lined its 4 corners. The safe basically broke down to 4 walls and the floor/ceiling panels. Easy to haul, but it couldn't taken apart unless it is unlocked.

I haven't been able to locate this thing anywhere, but it looked like a really nice safe with good volume capacity. Anyone know where this one can be found and/or who makes it?

[heavy][USA]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top