Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/10/2001 1:13:52 PM EDT
A UK Government spokesman has stated that Osama Bin Laden 'has been closely involved in the Afghan drugs trade and has encouraged major traffickers in the past to flood Europe and the US as a means of undermining and destabilising'.

This may be overstated, for drug trafficking does not seem to be a major source of money for his al-Qaeda network.

Indeed, when the Taleban temporarily banned the cultivation and trafficking in opium during 2000, it was their opponents the Northern Alliance who continued to grow and sell the poppy crop.
View Quote

Full story

[url]news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/uk/newsid_1590000/1590827.stm[/url]

We should pick our allies wisely this time around.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 1:17:38 PM EDT
[#1]
They need a way to pay for the war, and its not like Afghanistan is full of gold a rubbies. Its the only way to make money there.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 1:17:54 PM EDT
[#2]
The Afghani people make good use of the few resources they have.  Who could blame them?  They used opium and heroin aggressively (and effectively) to suppress the fighting capacity of the Soviets.

The Taliban's "suppression" of opium cultivation was purely for show.  People there have been growing it for thousands of years, like the coca farmers in South America.  It doesn't matter who is in power.  They're not going to stop growing opium in Afghanistan, ever.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Columbian rebels have been building an army on money from drugs .........not something you get from u-s news sources....this is still an ongoing issue....a few months ago, the u-s put "advisors"..(sound familiar?) in colombia, to keep a watch on rebel activities....it is a upcoming involvement.....cbc news.....
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I remember in the 70's they used a herbicide called Paraquat to try to kill Mexican marijuana plants. Perhaps they need something like that in Afghanistan?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I remember in the 70's they used a herbicide called Paraquat to try to kill Mexican marijuana plants. Perhaps they need something like that in Afghanistan?
View Quote

mattja, there is just such a herbicide already available.  It's called NAPALM!

DaMan
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 5:50:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Dont forget, we are probably their biggest customer. Its true for the coke trade.
I am not a user, but I believe the drug war is joke, and a lost cause. BP
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:01:33 AM EDT
[#7]
Yup, after this mess is all over with and the U.S. decides to tell the new Afghan govt to stop the drug trade or no more foreign aid, another group of terrorists made from the oppressed afghans will rise up against the U.S.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Paraquat is still used in California by C.A.M.P.
They also have satallites that, (In the infrared technique), can distinguish what type of plants are being grown on your property. And they can tell if your plant is ready for the pickings. These satallites can tell you when to pick your tomatoes for full flavor.
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:28:25 AM EDT
[#9]
DaMan, I like your style! :)

alexanderredhook, I didn't know they are using it here now. I haven't had an "interest" in that subject for over 20 years, so I haven't kept up. he he

Link Posted: 10/11/2001 12:32:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yup, after this mess is all over with and the U.S. decides to tell the new Afghan govt to stop the drug trade or no more foreign aid, another group of terrorists made from the oppressed afghans will rise up against the U.S.
View Quote

No way Imbroglio,
This group of heavily armed thugs (The Northern Alliance) are different!!!  They are our friends right?  They would never stoop to the outrages of the Taliban would they?  [rolleyes]
rDAm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top