Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2001 12:36:35 PM EDT
White House is pressureing the media to no longer broadcast Bin Laden's pass out tapes.

They clame that Bin Laden is passing coded information for his followers world wide in the tapes. Not to mention their being inflamitory.

CNN says that they will comply, but they are whining about it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe he got the idea watching "The Longest Day."

Eddie
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:47:35 PM EDT
[#3]
All the television networks were ASKED not to broadcast the tapes and they agreed, for now.  They were not ordered to and couldn't have been forced to comply if they had not wanted to.

As far as being an effective communication medium, it's perfect.  Say that dozens or even hundreds of his cronies are in the US.  How do you get a message to them all without arising suspicions?  He tried satellite phones but the NSA was on to that.  He could try the internet, but that leaves a path to follow as well.  What if they were all told to watch the news and then perform their prearranged missions when, for example, OBL appeared in a tape wearing a certain outfit, or with particular people, or holding a specific item, or using a particular phrase.  That's exactly the kind of trick he would love- use America's assets (i.e. technology) against her.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:47:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
You'd think that the terrs would have a more advanced commo set-up than pre-recorded tapes.
I say the given reason is B.S..
View Quote

I dunno, they seem to be pretty smart and it is so easy. They knew that anything they released would be played time and time again on many different channels as to make it near impossible for someone to miss, like at least every 30 minutes on CNN. Plus, it costs them nothing. If its true it sounds pretty ingenious to me. How would that make us fell to find out that we have been issuing all of Bin Ladens orders to any terrorist cells for him? Kind of scary stuff if you really think about it.

Michael
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:53:13 PM EDT
[#5]
HA.... now thats good... this came just after CNN announced that they would have exculsive airing rights for [b] 6 [/b] hours before letting the other networks run it...  and im sure they paid the Al-Jazeera Network a pertty penny for that too.
serves them right... trying to buy excluvies to this sh*t..

Clinton News Network  
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:54:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You'd think that the terrs would have a more advanced commo set-up than pre-recorded tapes.
I say the given reason is B.S..
View Quote

Actually, I think it's probably the best way of commo they have. Think about it...  I am quite sure Bin laden has no idea where his operatives are, just that they have orders to do this, this and this when the time comes. With all of the electronic intelligence gathering the odds are great that some little bit of info would be picked up that could unravel an entier plan. If I were him, thats just what I would do knowing the media over here. I'd say do not launch attacks until you see me on TV saying such and such. The night of the release of that film clip, I saw it on almost EVERY news channel there was. ALL day long. Perfect way to get the word out to all tangos, no matter where they are located.

Aviator  [img]www.milpubs.com/aviator.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds good to me for the reasons mentioned. Besides, the next time I see a video of that bastard, I hope it is of his torn, mangled, ravaged corpse!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 1:00:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Speeking of Al-Jazeera Network, are they a asset or a hinderance to us? They are the one Bin Laden sends all his tapes too. On the other hand, they are the only free press in the whole Arab world.  They are the only Arabic speeking outlet to give American and Israeli officials matching time.

Is that reason enough to let them broadcast Bin Laden and other terrorists messages? Or should their HQ in Quatar have a "mysterious explosion" that puts them off the air for a while?
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 1:05:02 PM EDT
[#9]
I have read that country music awards shows have been used to pass coded messages to our CIA agents. Nothing supprises me these days. " truth sometimes is stranger than fiction."

oops, another coded message sent out to agents around the world, courtesy of ar15. hehehe
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:30:28 PM EDT
[#10]
"The chair is agienst the wall"
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:52:53 PM EDT
[#11]
And I thought I was the only one wondering about this.

I want you guys to check this out for me.

Today's Miami Herald ran an AP story titled "Bin Laden Aide Reiterates Call For Holy War."

The piece is accompanied by a B&W photo of Abu Ghaith, and the last paragraph of the article seems somehow oddly out of place. It reads as follows:

"Abu Ghaith wore a white turban, similar to that worn by bin Laden, the cheif suspect in the Sept. 11 attacks. He was dressed in white robes and stood against a dark brown background."

What the hell does that have to do with the story, or even the paragraph preceding it?

Is this a message to someone?

Any one else have this story in their paper?

Check it out and let me know.

It may be time to break out that tin hat!
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#12]
It's a perfect way to communicate for one way communication in the terrorist cell heirarchy.  A certain phrase, which he knows will be aired, could be used to activate a dormant cell here in the US or abroad.

The networks seem to have agreed to edit the tapes, but how will they know if something is a coded statement or not?  His ranting about getting us out of Palestinian affairs struck me as odd, considering the fact that he's never really been too concerned with them.  Of course, it may just be a ploy to get them on his side, but it still struck me as funny.

The best thing to do is not play the tapes at all, but I'm sure he's got other ways of sending messages to his cells.

God Bless Texas
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 4:05:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, after all, you wouldn't want any kind of unfiltered information leaking out to the American public.  It might fly in the face of the official "truth" that the government feeds to their media lapdogs.

I am totally ashamed of the press in this country.  They have failed at their job utterly.

Where the hell is Cheney, by the way?  He sure isn't at a secure location for security reasons.

I think that's the "leak" that 'ol Bushy got so hot and bothered about with his Congressional buddies and got the NY Times to spike the story.

Folks, we have achieved authoritarianism.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top