Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/10/2001 6:00:03 AM EDT
A friend asked me to recommend biographies on Winston Churchill.

I don't know of any, but I know "somebody" who would know of a good one. [:D]

Can anyone make a recommendation???
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:08:27 AM EDT
[#1]
bump
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:22:29 AM EDT
[#2]
The William Manchester one is highly regarded for pre-WWII Churchill.

One of the problems is that Churchill lived so long and wrote so much and did so much that the biographers tend to die before they finish their multi-volume bios that describe his life. That happened with Manchester; he suffered a stroke and can't finish the last volume. His two-volume bio only went through 1940, entirely leaving out Winnie's prime ministership in WWII.

Churchill lived faster than can be summarized :-)
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:37:32 AM EDT
[#3]
I have Churchills trilogy, [i]The Second World War[/i] The three volumes are [i]The Gathering Storm, Their Finest Hour[/i] and [i]The Grand Alliance[/i]

They are not autobiographical, but give tremendous insight to the man and his thinkg and way of life. You would expect this, having been written by Churchill himself so close to the end of the war. Most of the material is taken from his personal writings, diaries and letters. It is a very close and personal look at the man during his glory days.

The trilogy is required reading for anyone serious about getting to know the mind of Churchill.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:41:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:41:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I second the William Manchester series, The Last Lion.  It rocks.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:43:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Cerberus, your trilogy may be an abridgement of the original, 5 book set.  I'm sure the original was NOT a trilogy.
View Quote

Could be so, all I have are the three, originals editions BTW
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 9:49:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:16:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sorry, make that 6 parts originally.  Winnie was a wordy bastard at times.
View Quote

Which are the other three?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top