Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2001 11:04:11 PM EDT
i just noticed my fish tank is hotter than hell. i have a one year old heater and i guess it never turned off. its set at 80 degrees and feels 95!  is this common?  WTH?
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:09:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Better pull that heater out now and get a new one, if the temp is too high you may have a fish kill and that sounds pretty high.[:D]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:16:15 PM EDT
[#2]
No. Sounds like you got a cheap heater and the thermostat broke.  A good heater will go bad in first several hours or will be good for many many years.  My sister's 2 heaters has been going for almost 15 years and my father's heater has been going for almost 30.  What kind of fish you have that needs 80 degree water?  Temp should be set at about 70-75 degrees for most fish.  Higher temp will only make the fish shit more and promote alge growth.  

Leave it on for a while longer and you'll have fish soup [:D]  
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:17:51 PM EDT
[#3]
First of all you should verify the temperature with an accurate,quality thermometer.
Don't go by how it "feels".

Second don't go by the knob indicator for your temperature setting again refer to the above and adjust accordingly.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 7:07:26 AM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, get a thermometer and get the temp at a constant 70-75 degrees.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I used the submersible ones in my tank. It sound like you might need a good thermometer. I have mine set at about 80 degrees also. I mainly have African cichlids.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#6]
also, what kind of lights are you using?
they should be fluaresent lights. Incadescent bulbs will raise the water temps.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 8:49:16 AM EDT
[#7]
yeah... they're big glass things you put fish in.....  

[:E]

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top