Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/28/2001 12:50:31 PM EDT
I'm thinking bout getting a curio & relics license. I already got the application and book. Just wanted to know if anyone else on this forum has one. What kind of stuff you collect etc. How you store the collection, and how big has it gotten. Is it worth getting?
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 12:59:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I didnt get one becuase I did not want to subject myself to compliance inspections and keeping a bound book just to save a few bucks.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:15:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have one but I haven't used it yet. I'm mostly interested in old Mausers.

There is a compliance inspection clause, but ATF has to make an appointment with you and set-up a time for the visit. They cannot just drop-in on you like they do with dealers since by definition you are a private collector, not a dealer, and the dealer rules do not apply to you. I'm not 100% sure about this, but I believe you can just bring your bound book down to their office for inspection of the records.

It's worth getting because many establishments offer a discount to FFL holders (including C&R holders) and you can have rifles shipped directly to your home without the waiting period. Also, as a collector it's really great because you can deal directly with dealers across the country and avoid the middle man.

Many states have additional restrictions regarding C&R, so you have to check your local laws as well. This is especially true with C&R handguns.

I don't know of any specific storage requirements for C&R holders, but there may be added requirements for your state. But it's always a good idea to store all your firearms in a safe in any case.

You can apply for it now and in the 4-6 weeks it takes to receive it, study your state and local laws. You can order the bound book from Brownells.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:24:51 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one.  I have been using it mostly to buy the long guns (Enfields, SKS, Mauser, MAS)  It's nice to have guns shipped directly to your home.  One advantage is that Brownell's lets you buy from them at their "trade discount"  This alone pays for the license.

I would not worry about the inspections, unlike the 07 FFL, with a C&R if you are subject to inspection, you can make an appointment with the BATF, and it can be done in their office.  You only have to keep a bound book for your C&R purchases.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Smoky City,

I got my C&R license about 1 year ago.  I love having it.  I collect old military rifles and was tired of bothering my FFL for an order.  It only cost 30 for 3 years.  I have about 20 C&R firearms(British Enfields, Mausers, Mosin Nagants, and a few U.S. rifles), most of which I bought before the license.  I even bought a CZ-52 pistol on an auction on the internet with the C&R ffl for 100.00!!  It was great.  I have collected several C&R pistols and they are all fun to shoot.  Whats neet about the old firearms you collect is they are a part of history and they are usually inexpensive.  You may not get a pristine condition firearm, but that adds to the flavor of it.  I even hunted with a few of them for a different feel.  Shot a nice antelope a couple of  years ago with a No.1 Mk3A2 from India.  Heck right now you can get a Turkish mauser for I think 39.00, 91/30 Mosin Nagants are about the same.  My wife even uses it to order me Chrismas presents and birthday presents.  All she has to do is order what I have circled and as long as it is sent to me at my address, its legal.  I have not been asked to show my collection to the BATF, but heck I love to talk about my collection, and love to show it to anybody who will listen.  Drawback is, if they decide to take them away they will have a nice list that I kept for them. Oh well only half my collection is C&R.  

I definatly think it was worth it! I heard the same negatory comments from several people, but they have no interest in C&R firearms.  If you like history, and love to shoot old firearms, you will love your C&R.  Besides, you get all excited every month when all the ditributers sent you their newsletter full of new toys to buy!  reguards jim g
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had one for about 8 yrs now and it is great to have.  I collect WW1 and WW2 weapons, mainly German, so it is a great help to me.  Never had any inspection so far but they must notify you and you can elect to have the inspection done at the local ATF office but I am assuming you would have to haul all your C&R weapons there too.  I have had no trouble in buying C&R guns with it and it has worked real well for me buying over the Internet which I have done sometimes too.  

The cost is still $30, the ONLY FFL that is still that cheap, and you are in a complete different class than dealers since you are not allowed whatsoever to deal in firearms and it can only be used for purchases to enhance your collection.  You are not required to buy or sell a certain number of guns like dealers are or to have a business address or hours.  It is one of the few things our government has done for gun owners that is TRULY an advantage.  

Just make sure it is ONLY used for C&R weapons.  Does not work at all for anything modern unless it is on the C&R list.  If you live in a Class III state then it can also be used for purchasing Class III C&R weapons, including some artillery pieces.  Transfer tax still applies but makes obtaining the weapon easier I believe.  Unfortunately I am not in one of those Class III states.

I would recommend ANY gun owner to get one.  It is great to have around if you decide you want that Third Reich Luger or P-38 or just to pick up one of the surplus Yugo Mausers at the gun show.  No more waiting periods or background checks with a C&R purchase either.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 4:56:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys. I completed the application last night. I just gotta write the check n mail it off. I'm excited about getting it. I already have a couple guns on the list that my dad gave me, but his are real war trophies he brought back from WWII. I just wish I could walk the thing through and not hafta wait 4-6 weeks to get it back. [^]
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 6:43:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Can you order C&R pistols in Cali? I seem to remember that they had to go to a regular FFl here.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 7:01:51 AM EDT
[#8]
You can only order rifles and shotguns that are over 50 years old. You can use the license in person when you are out of state for any C&R firearm. If you also have a certificate of eligibility (COE) from Cal DOJ, you can purchase any C&R in California without a waiting period.  The value in having the COE depends on your purchasing habits.
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 7:22:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Gents,  How do I get the application for a C & R license? I'd like to pick up a few older guns. TIA HillBilly
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top