Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2001 9:45:48 PM EDT
I am debating on a couple of possible future purchases.  A RR IMI or Vector UZI or an HK sear to be installed in an HK 94 or SP-89 (leaning towards the latter as an MP-5K PDW in the end).  However, for the total cost of the HK in either full auto flavor, I can get a RR UZI and an M-16 instead.  

I hear lots of good things about the Vector UZI's and for the most part (assuming a well done conversion on the semi) the converted IMI guns are good too.  

I already have a few FA's (currently transfered to my Brother in AL, until I finish school), and am always considering more (to lock in the prices now vs. waiting until I move in 2 years).  I have an FNC with the S & H sear, a LaFrance made MAC 10/.45 and an HK 33 being converted to an HK 53 (the latter two are still on the Form 3's).  

What are your opinions ("cool factor" of the HK series aside) of the functional characteristics of both the FA UZI and FA MP-5 guns?  One more factor in the purchase decision--if I did get the HK it would probably be my final FA purchase for the near (5 to 8 years--called a residency) future.  If I got both the UZI and M-16 (the -16 in the spring, probably), I can always hope for the Shrike to use as an upper.  

Gracias.

AFARR
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:48:42 PM EDT
[#1]
My experiance is really limited as I just put 60 rounds through each weapon. I liked the feel of the MP5 alot more. Fireing form a closed bolt makes a difference to me. The Uzi just didnt fit me and felt like it was rattleing apart. The Mp5 was solid and very light in recoil. Easier to manage on FA
Just my.02
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:59:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have put a lot of rounds through both the uzi Need to have heavier bullets/loads to cycle welll the mp5's I have shot would eat up anything. The last class I went through we put around 1000 rounds through the mp-5s on the first day and the instructor didn't clean them they worked fine on the second day but were a little sticky.    John
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#3]
For the cost of the HK sear only, you could buy a complete FA Uzi.

Advantages of UZI:

Cheaper mags
Slower cycle rate, about 600 rpms
Robust and handles abuse well
Cheap and available spare parts

Advantages of MP5:

Accuracy over UZI in smei, FA and of course first shot placement. The UZI is accurate, just not as accurate as the MP5, especially at distance.

Weapon platform. Many configurations possible with just one gun.

Balance and "feel." Easier to become "one with the gun." (Sorry for the Zen).

Lighter weight. Very nice when carrying weapon and a ton of mags.

Much better sights than the UZI. I personally dropped a HK91 v notch rotary drum on my MP5.

My advice, for those who can afford it, go with the HK MP5. It is a better subgun, but realistically will cost you more than twice what the UZI costs.

For those who cannot afford it, go with the UZI. There is nothing wrong with the UZI.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 11:33:21 AM EDT
[#4]
In the hands of an experienced operator either gun will shoot similar groups. I would give first shot to MP5 and long bursts to the UZI in group size.

To a first time shooter the Open Bolt flinch will seem dramatic and will give the impression the MP5 is more accurate. As shooting experiance grows the difference will be minimal.

The MP5 in a well versed operator is definatly deadly. Harder to use than the UZI for a left handed shooter, MP5 can not shoot hot loaded subgun ammo. It just won't hold up to the beating. UZI SMG like Vector/Group kits won't like feeding anything much but ball ammo. A converted Semi with the feed ramp will feed most any bullet profile. Barrel change on an MP5 if you stick a bullet is gonna cost you hundreds of dollars at the gun smith and long down times. On UZI it's like a $50 replacement part. No caliber conversions for the MP5. One caliber on configuration all the time. MP5 parts are gonna cost you big time.  No decent optics platform for the UZI. MP5 wins the dot scope mounting scenario. With UZI you can shoot 22lr, 9mm, 45ACP, 41AE with only bolt and barrel swaps. It's multiple subguns in one Tax.
Suppressed the MP5 will be quieter. The bolt in an UZI is probably over 1lb in weight and clank clanks while firing silenced. UZI mags cheaper, Both are reliable. MP5s tend to need the roller locking piece changed when switching from supersonic light bullets to heavy subsonic bullets for use with the added blowback of the suppressor.  If coolness and ownership status is prime importance then the MP5 is the way to go. If a fun all around blasting machine then the UZI. If you intend to shoot in subgun competitions then the lack of optics on the UZI will hurt.  No one will laugh at you for buying either gun. That is something the full auto Tec-9 owners can't say.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 12:06:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Consider the M16/9MM.

Just about as much status as the MP5.

Runs as good as either if tuned properly.

Quieter than the MP-5SD is you use a Gemtech Talon-SD fully suppressed upper (at lease that's what the SAR reviews said).

As versatile as the HK (caliber changes), but cheaper. Change-out upper not whole reciver-barrel.

[url]albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=258760&a=13421952&p=52238933[/url]
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 2:06:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Drfcolt--

If I got the UZI, an M-16 is still a possible, and, of course, caliber changes are easy.  If I got the HK, then there is no way I would get an M-16 anytime in the near future.  

I noticed from your pics that you like the supressors on the guns.  Out of curiousity, have you ever considered going with an integrally supressed .300 whisper upper?  It would not necessate the purchase of expensive Colt mags or fairly expensive conversion mags, and seems to have some good ballistics for the round.

Thanks for the info.  I am still leaning towards the UZI or the M-16  (I may just trade an FNC and the money towards a -16 right off the bat, vs. getting the UZI first).  By all the reports I have seen, the -16 is also a fine 9mm weapon (assuming good mags).

Link Posted: 10/10/2001 2:20:57 PM EDT
[#7]
When I faced this decision about 1 1/2yrs ago I decided on the Vector and Colt M16A1. I have not been sorry, especially with the M16.

When I started buying NFA weapons I never thought I would buy an M16. I had shot one a lot in the Army over the years and never really enjoyed it.

Well, the controlled range shooting the Army lets you do is a different world from having your own. A couple friends have MP5's and PDW's and while they are very nice guns, very accurate and controllable I think an UZI/M16 combo is much more fun.

I'm not highly competitive in matches, I don't plan on being the Omega man holding off the mutant hordes, or having the final showdown with the BATF/FBI/CIA/NSA/NBC/CBS etc. So I bought what I thought would be the most fun to terrorize pop cans, dirt, etc with.
Link Posted: 10/10/2001 3:50:11 PM EDT
[#8]
I absolutly love my Vector Uzi!  It is to subguns what the AK is to rifles.  It will eat anything, you can throw sand, mud, ect in it & it'll still run.  I can run well over 1,000rds through mine with zero problems & no cleaning.  The times I have seen the HK in action & shot it I wasn't all that impressed.  I like the eargonomics and accuracy, but the Uzi is still quite accurate.  IMHO, the HK supresses better.  I'd go with an Uzi and a 16!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top