Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/28/2001 12:40:55 PM EDT
I think it's a good idea to start a topic on American products. We need to start buying things made in our own country, rather in some communist-sh*thole.

Please post companies that you know are 100% American and what products they make (i.e., electronics, cars, etc...).

As far as I know, Dodge/Chrysler is 95% American, with the exception of the transmission.

LETS START MAKING MORE AMERICAN JOBS TODAY!!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 12:50:47 PM EDT
[#1]
In my head I know you are right, but my heart
won't give up my M1 Super 90.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 12:57:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
As far as I know, Dodge/Chrysler is 95% American, with the exception of the transmission.!!!
View Quote

I'm sorry to say "Dodge" was recently the victim of a hostile takeover by Daimer (Mercedes benz). It was disguised as a merger but it was not.
Long before then they were partners with Mitsubishi (an Eclispe is an Eagle is a Laser).

When I buy a car it has to meet two criteria:
1. Assembled in USA.
2. Money trail leads to a US company.

My Chevy S10 was assembled in Ohio and the $$$ went to Detroit.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:13:33 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't think there is anything electronic that's 100% American.
Not so sure of cars anymore either.
Hell, when the Secretary of State says "we should move more manufacturing to Mexico", we're screwed.

Eagle Industries in Fenton, Missouri has been manufacturing nylon tactical gear for 20 years.
I recently toured their plant and can say, they're 100% American, unless you count the Asian women that were sewing the gear together.

Whatever happened to Walmart selling USA merchandise? All I see there now is foreign made stuff.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:14:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Kahr and KelTec both have stickers on the box. American owned American made American parts, is that what you are looking for.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Shit. Dodge was one of the last too! Oh well. At least my 95 Blazer was made in the US.

how about electronics? (TV's, Stereos, etc..) Are there any American companies/manufactuers of those??? I feel like a g*d-damn traitor with all this crap that says, "Made in China, Japan," or where ever......
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:19:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Were Emerson & Zenith American TV manufacturers?
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:20:28 PM EDT
[#7]
My Taurus was assembled in Atlanta and the Ford Motor Company ownes Jaguar, Land Rover and is a partner in Mazda.  So they are a American Powerhouse.  
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:22:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Hell Hondas and Toyotas are assembled in the US.  There is not car made by the GM, Ford or Chrysler that has 100% US made parts in it.

Good luck finding anything electronic made in the US.  Harmon Kardon maybe I'm not sure.

Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:28:58 PM EDT
[#9]
My new Honda bike is made in Ohio.  My Nissan truck is made in Tennessee.  Of course I can only speculate as to where the *parts* for these things came from.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 1:37:55 PM EDT
[#10]
If I can't get American made, I at least go with American companies. So Honda, Nissan,Toyota, Hiroshima and Nagasaki are out of the picture
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I know for sure that their are no more VCR's made in the U.S. I don't know about other electronics.

CHEF
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 2:11:13 PM EDT
[#12]
What's a VCR?

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 2:17:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I worked in sales for a major nation wide electronics store. I worked in audio and video. And let me tell you, not a single product is 100% American...not even mostly american. Even ones with american names like Zenith or Phillips.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 2:20:24 PM EDT
[#14]
My poor little Nissan truck was also made in Tennessee. I say poor little truck because it was recently violated by a buck who jumped out in front of me on the freeway, and it hasn't looked the same since.

I think Bagmaster is USA.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#15]
I think that there are probably more foriegn companies making or at least assembling products in the US than there are Big US companies in the US. It helps them get around the trade tariffs. Most American cars are built in either Canada or Mexico. Many US cars are just Japanese cars in an American disguise. Ford = Mazda, GM = Izusu, Chrysler = Mitsubishi, so on and so forth. Mercedes M and C class cars are assembled in Alabama. As mentioned before, Diamler/Chrysler/Mercedes are all part of the same company.

My sisters Jeep was built in Canada as was my Mustang. Frigin' metric and standard parts all mushed together. Arrrggghh! AM General and Saturn I think are some of the last all American car manufacturers. The Hummer 2 is coming out in 2002. It has a 6 liter unleaded gas engine and is smaller than the original. As for cost, I think the Hummer 2 will still be a very pricey 4x4 just like it's bigger brother. But it should be in a more street friendly package.

Intel and AMD both have Processor chip factories in the US, most Ram chips although comes from Taiwan.

Bullets are still made here, although a lot of people use the foreign surplus stuff. I try to use mostly American Eagle/Federal ammo, good quality and only a little bit more expensive.

Vans shoes were made in the US. I think they still are. I won a contest, 12 pairs free, and got a tour of their shoe factory when I was a kid.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 3:36:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Why coddle American companies that can't produce competitive products at reasonable prices?  That's corporate welfare, and isn't very *American* if you ask me.

The best way to ensure American jobs is to buy products from good companies that pay American workers good salaries and are contributing personal and corporate taxes to our economy.  I guess that wouldn't fit very neatly on a bumper sticker, though, would it. [:D]

My favorite is: "Buy American, while there's still time!"
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 3:44:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What's a VCR?

Nuckles.
View Quote

Your kidding right?
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 4:02:46 PM EDT
[#18]
Whatsup with all these suppliers closing
Union factories; running to Mexico to lower
costs. The vehicle production cost is cut
but the retail price is the same or higher.
The stock price does'nt reflect the profits
the companies are making,whatsup?
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 4:32:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:03:59 PM EDT
[#21]
The Japanese auto and trucks may be "made" here, but the money goes right back to Japan. Hell, Toyota ships pickup trucks to California with the boxes removed, but shipped with the trucks. The boxes are installed in CA, so the trucks are "made" in the USA. It's just another way to ripoff the American public.  BTW, don't forget the "Japanese quality" BS either. SamC
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:08:36 PM EDT
[#22]
[b]Death_by_AR15[/b]

You gotta be kidding!  What are you using to log on the net?  A Ford?

Where do you think all the parts from your computer came from?  Missouri?

Are all your guns American?

I'll buy from whoever makes the best product (value and quality).  If that happens to be the US, so be it.

[b]Competition and free market rules! PERIOD[/b]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:47:17 PM EDT
[#23]
Hmmm...let me get this straight.

If I buy a FORD/CHEVY/MOPAR, that's good for America.
If I buy a Mercedes/Toyota/Honda, that's bad for America.
The PT Cruiser, the latest fad retro "American" car is built in in Mexico City, the Camero is built in Canada, & Ford has large manufacturing plants in Mexico.
These aren't "American" products.

"Yes, it may be built in Mexico, but at least the $$$ flows back to an American Corporation."

And how, exactly, does this benefit Joe, the American factory worker?

If you buy a Honda (built in USA), Joe Blow has a job.
When my wife's friend bought her Mercedes M class, she helped put food an an American worker's table.

When you**, Mr. Patriotic, bought your bitchin' Camero/Mustang, you sent your money to the lowest form of life, a French-Canuk.[:D]

So, who would you rather support, an American Corporation, which doesn't give a #$%@ about American workers..
Or, give your money to a foriegn -owned company, that at least employs American workers?

Think hard.

Paul

** "You" does not directly refer to "Death by AR15" or any other board member, but rather the collective group of people...aww, nevermind.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 8:49:32 PM EDT
[#24]

Where do you think all the parts from your computer came from?  Missouri?
View Quote

Leave Missouri out of this! [;)]
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 9:44:14 PM EDT
[#25]
My question is where do all these manufactures get their steel? If my poor little Nissan is built in America using American steel, I mean, that's not such a bad thing.
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 9:44:46 PM EDT
[#26]
I Think Curtis Mathis T.V> Was Made In America But Iam Not Sure They Are Still Made At All!!
Link Posted: 2/28/2001 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I believe Danner Boot Company is %100 American, Armalite claims to be %100 American Parts. I believe the Eagle Arms have foreign parts that is why they are cheaper and have one year warranty. My favorite girlfriend so far was made in Romania, darn she was good looking.

NO SLACK!
Link Posted: 3/1/2001 5:14:12 AM EDT
[#28]
We live in a global economy.  It 'aint gonna change, so get used to it.  If it sucks for Americans when an American company moves jobs to Mexico, doesn't suck just as much for Germans when BMW builds a plant in South Caroliina?

I can tell you that BMW's plant in SC has had a huge impact on the entire area.  It has created thousands of jobs and not just in the plant.  All sorts of vendors and suppliers have moved to the area to support BMW auto production.

For some one like me that used to live in the area, but now only visits, it is easy to see what all that money has done.  The character of the entire area has changed.  People have more money and confidence, and it shows.  All those people spend their money to buy more products and create more jobs all because a foriegn company located in the US.

I buy American when there is a suitable American Product at a competive price, but there is no escaping some of you money going out of the country if you buy based on quality and value.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top