Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/2/2007 8:50:01 PM EDT
I'm looking for long range accuracy for my AR15 lower. What kind of groups can I get and how far can the 5.56 be effective?

And you can't say "get both" because there are three choices.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 10:38:29 AM EDT
[#1]
BTT for the holiday crew
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#2]
18" is good.  You don't need a lot of barrel length with the 5.56-.223 to be accurate.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 10:40:33 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't think accuracy will vary a whole lot between the three, but you will get more velocity (and thus a longer range) from the 24".
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 10:42:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got the 20" "varmint" barrel from a few years ago.  (Fluted, free float, etc.)

Works good.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 10:47:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a 18 RRA varmint

I bought it mostly because I liked the looks of it better than the other lengths

with gold medal match federal 69gr  it will shoot about 2"-2.5" at 300M if I do my part

even with 5.56mm south african it will shoot just a around 4"at that distance

I have been very happy with the rifle  
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I would go with the 20" myself.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 10:50:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I'm looking for long range accuracy for my AR15 lower. What kind of groups can I get and how far can the 5.56 be effective?

And you can't say "get both" because there are three choices.

I've got a 24" 1:12 twist RRA SS upper on a Bushy lower with an LMT 2-stage trigger.  With the 50 grain Black Hills blue box ammo I can punch sub-MOA groups with it all day long at 100 yards (that's the longest I can shoot on our range).  

The rifle, however, is certainly only good for a bench/prone gun, though... it weighs a ton.  I've tried hiking it around in the woods before and it's too heavy to haul up and down hills, and unless you've got a rest on a tree, sitting on your rear with it resting on your knee, or are prone with it, you can forget about holding it on target easily.  It's just WAY too front-heavy...  It's honestly easier to hold my 16" HBAR with 1 1/2 lbs of suppressor on the end of it while standing than the 24" rifle.

If you're going to be taking it out and hunting with it, then I'd go for an 18" or 20" barrel.  If you're doing bench/prone shooting primarily, then get the 24".  You'll lose a little velocity with the 18" over the 20", but that won't affect your accuracy any.  Accuracy won't necessarily improve with the barrel length, but velocity will go up a little as you go longer, so you'll get a bit more range out of it.

You might have to play with ammo once you get the barrel.  Mine likes what I mentioned above... your might like something different.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 10:51:17 AM EDT
[#8]
If it's gonna be something you're gonna shoot off the bench and not tote around much, I'd go with the 24 just for a little extra velocity downrange.  With a 1:8 twist and a Wylde chamber.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 11:02:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Dito with what Quintin said, the 20 inch with 1:8 twist and don't look back.
Link Posted: 7/4/2007 11:25:45 AM EDT
[#10]
20"

In 5.56, anything over 20 is just extra weight.  There is no added benefit, IMHO.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top