Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2001 10:04:53 AM EDT
A couple of us at work were talking over lunch today about the difference in views on what each of us should do. It seems that a slight age difference has a large affect. The cut off seems to be right around 30. People over that age are saying "what can I do", while people under that age are saying "I hope it doesn't affect me (draft)". The consensus seems to be that those in the older group have experienced some form of hardship, while the younger ones haven't. I liken it to those who have experienced the real world as opposed to those who watch "The Real World". Guys with families are ready to fight if necessary, while the single guys really don't care. It's almost like those who are willing to, can't, and those who should, won't.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:08:27 AM EDT
[#1]
If my country needs me,I'll be on my way,no questions asked.
If there is not a draft,I'll be on "homeland defense"
I'm under 30:)

"Wolverines!!!"
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:12:08 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm 26, if they need my I'm ready. Not looking forward to getting shot at but I will do what I can to preserve my countries way of life.

P.S. The "Real World" is for people with no motivation to go and live thier own life.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:12:34 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:13:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm going to hafta disagree with you. The majority of people I speak to (mostly under 30)are more than willing to do whatever is necessary to secure liberty from agression.
Perhaps it's dependant on proximity to "ground zero" or what I prefer calling "the front lines".

Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:16:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm going to hafta disagree with you. The majority of people I speak to (mostly under 30)are more than willing to do whatever is necessary...
View Quote

I hope your experiences are more of a reflection of the true nature of our country.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:22:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I also tend to think that those of us over 30 have parents who are still of the WWII generation, or very close to it. Our older brothers would be the Viet Nam era vets. I remember seing images of Viet Nam fighting on TV as a kid. My dad is a D-Day veteran. I grew up learning the history of the war, and having a different sense of duty to my country than my younger co-workers who don't have a clue. The twenty something and younger crowd today doesn't have any connection to that era. They were 3 when the Marines were attacked in Beruit, 10 or 11 during Desert Storm and their early teens when the World Trade Center was bombed the first time. No disrespect intended to the kiddies, but they grew up in a time when guns were becoming more evil, globalization was the way of the future and the Constitution was only referenced as part of a history class that probably was made politically correct so as not to offend anyone.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:29:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I just turned 25... if needed, I'll gladly stand up and fight for my country...  
It's a lot of the  younger than 25 crowd, those in the 'me' generation, that don't realize that freedom is not free!  

Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:37:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Hey, I am under 30, I can't stand to watch that mtv b.s. called the real world.  What a waste of time. I am ready to go if they draft us, but I am not signing up because I have a career plan.  If they would let us sign up to help out and then when it is over, we get out, that wold work.  Guess some of us a wimps and don't want to hand the Gov four yrs of our lives.
Ice
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted: If my country needs me,I'll be on my way,no questions asked.
If there is not a draft,I'll be on "homeland defense"
I'm under 30:)

"Wolverines!!!"
View Quote

Ditto!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top