BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2001 9:14:56 AM EDT
CAN'T TRUST THOSE SLIMEY BASTARDS!

[url]http://www.drudgereport.com/flash.htm[/url]

Russian troops gathering near Kabul: Moscow Weekly
Tue Oct 09 2001 13:03:27 ET

MOSCOW, Oct 09, 2001 -- The Russian military has secretly positioned troops on the outskirts of Kabul for an assault on the Afghan capital together with the opposition Northern Alliance forces, the Russian weekly Moscow News said Tuesday.

The weekly said Russian troops are operating tanks that had been given to the Northern Alliance as part of Moscow's military aid and are awaiting orders for an offensive against Kabul.

The maneuver is aimed at beating American forces in entering Kabul not only for the sake of Russian honor, but also to secure a role for Russia in shaping the post-Taliban order in Afghanistan, the weekly said.

In addition to supplying vast amounts of weaponry to the forces fighting the Taliban government, Moscow has also sent "military experts, technicians and military advisers," the Moscow News report said.

A precedent to Russia taking this type of action was seen in June 1999 during the Yugoslavia war when Russian forces surprised the NATO-led international force and occupied the airport at the Kosovo capital.

END

Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:18:16 AM EDT
[#1]
good
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:18:37 AM EDT
[#2]
If the Russians want to go in first and do the initial assault, who cares.  It means less casualties for our guys.  This is no big deal.  I think it is good they are arming the Northern Alliance, something that we should have already done.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:19:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I don't know, if they help us gather up Bin Ladin and his crowd, I personally don't care what happens to the rest of the place.

The Enemy Of My Enemy Is My Friend
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:19:49 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:19:52 AM EDT
[#5]
You can't teach an old dog new tricks.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Good!...The U.S and its allies have no intention of occupying Aghanistan or Kabul. We have one mission and only one...To get rid of the Talibans, the terrorists, Al Queda and Bin Laden. Dead or alive.

As for the Russians, at this point, it's more power to them. We need unity not division to defeat this common enemy.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:39:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Smeghead - I fail to see the problem here.  The Russian's have an old score to settle with the Afganis, and Putin has said all along there needs to be punishment for the attacks on the WTC.  So they want to have an involvement in the post-Taliban gov't - let them.  First off, who needs that dust covered rock pile - they want it, they can have it.  Second, its on their back doorstep.  They have a security interset in making sure there is a stable, civilized gov't there.   I'd much rather have a Russian-ruled Afganistan than one ruled by Muslim fundamentalists.  While we may not be allies with Russia, we do get along and we can work with them more easily than with Muslim extremists.

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:39:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The Russians have earned that right.

I hope that they take all of the captured Talibans to the "Stadium" in "Kabul" and dish out the same kind of justice they have been dishing out to their own people for years.

I hope to watch the executions on "Network News". I'm even willing to watch on "PPV".
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:40:12 AM EDT
[#9]
If someone wanted our help to knock over Vietnam don't you think we would help a little harder than everyone else.  They just want some revenge.  I can't say I blame them.  Operation protect the Americans is what we should call it!
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Still, it's just like em to hog all the glory......they pulled this shit at the end of WW2, in Kosovo and now here.  

It's all fine and good if they want to take the casualties, but maybe we should have been the ones to have invaded already.  Oh well.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:45:47 AM EDT
[#11]
2 things:

1) reminds me of Berlin

2) The Afgani's will learn the hard way that it would be better to deal with us than the Russians.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:48:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
2 things:

1) reminds me of Berlin

2) The Afgani's will learn the hard way that it would be better to deal with us than the Russians.
View Quote

Couldn't have said it better.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
2 things:

1) reminds me of Berlin

View Quote

I agree with that!  Those Ruskies are ruthless bastards!
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 10:15:26 AM EDT
[#14]
So what are the rooskies going to do, occupy the place? I think they learned that lesson in 1980-89.

The northern alliance is one player, and they're primarily Tajik. The Pushtuns would have to be on board for a full political solution.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:23:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like a great deal for the USA to me: let the Russians deal with the cr*p from the extremists.   FWIW, they have a lot more at stake than we do and will certainly address the problem.  "I can already feel the love..." [^]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:44:28 PM EDT
[#16]
However, in this one I think the Russians need the Victory.  China will positively hate this development. But Kabul will be Taken.  However, it is doubtful that they will be able to stay in Kabul. This situation is creating very strange bedfellows.  I don't totally trust the russians yet, give me about 20 more years. But that section needs to be cut off.  It will give the Russians a strategic advantage over the chinese would then find themselves surrounded on two fronts from Russia and One front from the United States in Taiwan. You may see Russia drop its dissent against several former Warsaw Pact nations Joining Nato. Which would be a very good thing for the USA.

Benjamin
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:45:08 PM EDT
[#17]
A military advisor on CNBC tonight said that the Russian army is in such bad shape (haven't been paid for months) that we could probably hire them to fight the Taliban for a few bucks and supplies.

"WILL FIGHT FOR FOOD"
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Is it just me, or does it make you feel all warm inside that the Russians are on our side.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:06:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Curses! Tricked again
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:35:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Im sure the Russians have an axe to grind against the "Dushman", but I doubt the support amounts to more than equipment & advisors for the UF (Northern Alliance)

Ed
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:41:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Glory belongs to ashholes and holly wood. the
Russians are going back to settle an old score, take revenge, and to make new friends. if they want to lead into an area that they know well, and are willing to fight for us thank them! it may save your brothers life... we will decide on the rest of the politics after the camel rapers are meeting their end......pat
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Things I like about it is their love of Napalm.........well maybe that's the only thing.

I wanna see some FAE action!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top