Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2001 8:48:25 AM EDT
Hey, I'm putting this here instead of the ammo forumn becasue I'm interested in suggestions as to what to do now on the bussiness end, but feel free to move it if you feel the need.

I bought 3 50 rnd boxes or Trinton CQD Frangable .45 ACP+p 155gr to try out in my USC .45. I fired off one 10 rnd mag flawlessly. the 2nd mage, I got through 6 of the 10 rnds, then had a FTF. I thought, WTF? nearly 2000 rnds through this, and never a FTF. I looked at the ejection port, and saw what looked like an empty round, jamed right below the chamber. Then, I noteded, the bullet head, sideways, jamede underneath the front of the casing! I turned the gun sideway, and the bullet as casing fell into my hend. I said a few choice words, as I looked at the unfired, un-struck casing, with the bullet SNAPED IN HALF at the front of the casing. 1/2 of it was still in tha casing, the point was in my hand. I handed it to my friend to look at, and pulled the mag so I could clear and inspect the gun. I then looked at the mag. it had 2 rnds left in it, and the top one, ALSO HAD THE TIP, FALLEN OFF, LAYING IN FRONT OF THE CASING!

I proceded to uinload that mag, and pack up to walk back to the house and find out WTF. Was going one. I unloaded my 3rd mag w/also had this stuff in it, and while unloading it, one of the bullets from that clip, I think the 5th one, also broke in half!  I put the rnds back in the box, took my 5 mags still full of S&B 230 GR, and after checking the gun went and fired them off.

So. .  what should I do? call Trinton? Take this stuff back to the gunshop I bought it from?

Thanks,
Justin

P.S. Tomarrow I can bring in the ammo and scan them, if I can E-mail them to someone willing to host them? (OR somehow make them available to members of this site.)

Link Posted: 10/9/2001 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 9:13:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Well,
it is supposed to be
frangible.

Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#3]
I run 200 gr.Corbon HPs in both of my 45s and never have had any problems. Thanks for the info, I was thinking about trying some of those. NOT
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:41:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:43:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 11:52:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the reply's guys!

I'll give Triton a call and see what they say. Mike, I'll scan them tomarrow and shoot you an e-mail, thanks!

So far all I have shot are varius 230 gr and the Newgen/IMI 105 gr +p SWAT stuff. I am hoping to experiment w/other grans and types, however this isn't quite the experiment I was hoping for!

For the record, the stuff I DID fire was great, however I hadn't gotten around to any test jsut yet. . . .

-Justin
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well,
it is supposed to be
frangible.

View Quote

Yeah, but hopefully only after it [i]leaves[/i] the barrel. :)
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 9:43:39 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:09:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Very Strange.  Very odd.  I've never seen that happen before!
Link Posted: 10/11/2001 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#10]
Beer_Slayer,

Thanks again for putting those up!

In case you guys are wondering, the casing that's bent is the top one that tried to load into the chamber. I am d@mn glad that it didn't make it, as the bullet was lodged SIDEWAYS under it. It would have fired just the 2nd half of the bullet down the barrel had it loaded. also of concern, is what would happen to the other half? Luckly it never mde it.

My friend took several other bullets from the same box and triend to snap the heads off w/his hand, but couldn't, so it's not just a weak bullet. These must have been cracked or something?

I have left a voicemail and e-mail for Triton, but recived no reply.

Gardenweasle,

Yeah, when I read the ads, it said they'd fragment, but from the discribtion I sorta thought it had to hit something 1st!

Oh, the bottem pic has 3 good bullets along w/the 3 broken ones.

Later,
Justin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top