Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2001 6:11:36 AM EDT
a friend of mine is looking to buy a rifle. he's thinking of getting a Mini, i'm trying to convince him to buy an AR. I'm trying to find him an AR at a good price. who's got the best deal on new AR's?
looked at the Bushmaster site, am going to call. anyone else got any ideas?
thanks,
colt
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 6:13:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Ask him if he wants mags for it, Mini's are pricey!

c-rock
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 7:45:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Can't help much on the price issue but thought I'd help out on the convincing.

If he buys a Mini he's stuck with a basic rifle. He might be able to add a scope or something but he's limited to what he can do with the rifle.
If he buys an AR-15 he has many future options that can be built off that one lower receiver.
He can buy a short handy carbine today then if he later decides he needs a 20" rifle its a simple matter of buying a new upper.
In fact his options are limitless:
He can buy upper barrel lengths ranging from 16"-24".
He can get carry handle uppers that include iron sights or flat top uppers to mount optics.
He can get many different calibers:
223, 7.62X39, 45ACP,40S&W, 9mm, 9X23,  10mm, and I'm sure I'm forgetting one or two.
I think there are .50BMG uppers available.

If he decides he wants to try Highpower rifle competition he can use his AR-15 and very competitive.
There are 10X's as many vendors selling aftermarket parts for the AR-15 than for the Mini.

As c-rock stated the price for quality magazines are very far apart. Used factory mags for the mini sell for over $100 each. You can easily buy 3-4 AR-15 mags for that price.

If all that doesn't convince him tell him that Bill Ruger shares a large bit of the blame for some of the anti gun laws, why would he want to support gun control?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top