Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2001 7:03:16 PM EDT
My friend just bought an SKS at a gunshow(ya I know).  It is his first gun so he didn't really know much about it.  It is a norinco that looks to be in about 80-90% condition.  There is some minor rusting on the finish, but overall it seems to be a solid gun.  Except for the barrel.  It looks like somebody took a bandsaw to it and didn't bother to recrown the muzzle.  The barrel was shortened to 16" and there was no front sight assy. on the gun.  Now had I been with him when he bought it, I would have steered him away from it but he didn't know any better.  When he took it out and fired it, the action won't cycle.  Sometimes it is enough to unlock the bolt but not eject the empty shell, most of the time however, it won't even budge the bolt carrier.  I looked everything over and the gas piston is not loose in the tube, the action cycles smoothly by hand, and the gas port is free of obstruction.  I have a hunch that the shortened barrel is not allowing enought pressure to build up in the gas tube to cycle the bolt.  But I'd like any and all opions as to why this might be happening and possible fixes.  Also, the barrel is the thread-in type so could it be concievably rebarreled?

P.S.  The fellow he bought it from told him he could return it if he didn't like it or had problems.  Should he get his money back or not?

Any help greatly appreciated
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:14:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a shortened "paratrooper" SKS that would jam and lock up.

I would return it
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Get your money back.

As I understand it the shorter barrel is you culprit with it not cycling properly. It would probably take another 100-150 bucks to get this fixed. I say get a refund if he can and take your friend shopping for a nice SKS.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:14:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I had a shortened "paratrooper" SKS that would jam and lock up.

I would return it
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:14:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I think your friend learned a valuable lesson. One should be careful about impulse purchases when not farmiliar with the goods. I would take the gun back. If he bought it from someone who owns a business he could posibly exchange it. It may or may not be worth rebarreling... I have never looked into doing so.

I thought SKS's looked cool when I was first geting into firearms too. I still am and still dont own one.

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:15:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:17:33 PM EDT
[#6]
For the hell of it, why not try taking the gas tube off of the top of the front handguard and try enlarging the hole, just a little at a time. Couldn't hurt.  Nobody likes a semi auto SKS.

I'm assuming he can't get the money back.  If he can, then get it.  Cash is king.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top