Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/8/2001 5:14:18 PM EDT
Federal Arms M14, any good?

I was checking one out over the weekend, priced at less than a $1000.  Looks to be pre-ban as it had a bayonet lug and flash suppresser.  

How do they compare against the NEW Springfield's (M1A) or Armscorp?

OSA
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:29:35 PM EDT
[#1]
[SIZE=5][B]JUNK ![/SIZE=5][/B]
They are unsafe to fire, known to blow apart.
Save a little more and get a SpringfieldArmory.
Who needs a bayonet lug.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:52:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had two.
They were built with USGI parts and came as complete guns.They were fine and I sold them after thousands of rounds down the tubes.
$1000 is way high around here.$650-800 depending on the parts and barrel.
Don't laugh,but the best receiver you can buy right now is a Polytech or Norinco.I will pay $450 for one if somebdy has one.
cpermd
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:22:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thank you.

Anyone else have an opinion?

The bayonet lug really doesn't matter to me either, I just stated it for dating reasons.  For what I have heard, the Springfield Armory repro's are not that hot either.

OSA

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:48:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
[SIZE=5][B]JUNK ![/SIZE=5][/B]
They are unsafe to fire, known to blow apart.
Save a little more and get a SpringfieldArmory.
Who needs a bayonet lug.
View Quote

That's hyperbole. OSA, you're talking about Federal Ordinance and yes, the quality varies. They are cast receivers, just like Springfield Armory but they are no more prone to KB than Springfields. They were sold three ways, as receivers, as complete rifles with G.I. parts and as complete rifles with Chinese parts. Look for G.I. parts. They can be made into fine shooters and many people have used them for match rifles. They QC problems come mostly in the assembly phase. Any receiver from any manufacturer can vary in hardness from one heat lot to the other. Buy what you want. Springfield Armory wants to be the only game in town. If you want the best receiver available to the average shooter look for a Norinco or Poly Tech. They are hammer forged just like G.I. and have excellent geometry. They are also less than half the price of those fine quality Springfield Armory receivers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top