Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2001 1:23:48 PM EDT

NEW YORK — Listeners to Rush Limbaugh's talk show heard the conservative commentator announce today that he's suffering from severe hearing loss and expects to go totally deaf.

In a transcript of the comments made available on the show's web site, Limbaugh says he's totally deaf in his left ear and can recognize sound with the other ear. He said the problems began on May 29 and have rapidly deteriorated.

Limbaugh said he expects within a couple of months he'll be totally deaf, raising questions how he'll continue his popular program.

Limbaugh recently renewed his contract with the Premiere Radio Networks through 2009, reportedly for the highest price ever in radio syndication. Through his call-in show and a 90-second radio commentary, he reaches some 20 million listeners on nearly 600 stations.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:38:31 PM EDT
[#1]
My wife mentioned a couple days ago that it sounded like someone doing a Rush impersonation. I listened today and came to the same conclusion. Then he made the announcement.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:58:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Same here. I heard him today and thought it was a fill in.

Anyway, pray for Rush, his work and his coping with a new disability.

Stout hearts, El Rushbo!
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Yeah, I heard him announce it too. I thought it might mean the end of his show, but we'll have to see what happens.

Go to his article on his website for details:
[url]http://rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_100801/content/lucky.guest.html[/url]

Just when we need him the most, what with those crucial 2002 mid-term elections on the horizon!

Eric The(Dittohead)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 2:06:09 PM EDT
[#4]
This was really sad news to me.  It explains some of his recent comments and of course the many days away.

Have listened to him for about 10 years now and it's like a friend is hurting.  

Do hope that he will be able to somehow carry on with the show.  He can communicate through 'translators', but how long before he will no longer be able to properly talk....

There is a last ditch transplant hope, but that's severe and not a sure thing.

bummer
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 2:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
That really sux.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:58:02 PM EDT
[#6]
This is from TheDrudgeReport!

See article at:[url]http://www.drudgereport.com/rtl.htm[/url]

From the Drudge Report:

In mid-career, musical magician Beethoven went deaf. He would continue to write. Producing some of his best music.

"I have lost my ability to hear. I have not lost my ability to communicate," the modern world's most-listened to voice, Rush Limbaugh, announced to his radio audience on Monday.

Immediate shock spread throughout the communication industry.

[b]President Bush expressed personal concern about Limbaugh's condition with senior staff late Monday afternoon.

"The president noted Rush Limbaugh is a national treasure," one senior White House staffer said.[/b]

For the past 3 month, Limbaugh has been steadily losing his hearing.

"I am, for all practical purposes, deaf," Limbaugh revealed.

Limbaugh's show is heard on over 600 stations, he commands an audience of more than 22 million a week.

Eric The(GodBlessRush)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:00:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Most importantly, how will this affect his golf game?

Will the movers and shakers want to still play a round or two with him?

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:02:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I assume they would. I'm not a mover or shaker but I would be pleased to play a round with the Great One himself. [>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:42:37 PM EDT
[#9]
This sucks.  The most effective anti Clinton spokesman on the planet is going deaf.

How does BC do it?

Connections with underworld figures?

Payments to Evil doctors?

Satanic incantations?

I could use a little of that guys luck.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Thankfully, the Maja Rushie will still be able to write columns, just as his brother David Limbaugh does.

Just think - The Limbaugh Letter in spades!

Eric The(Thanks,Rush-ANationalTreasureIndeed)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
And just months ago, I was jealous of his huge new contract, just shows you money won't cure everything.
The Libs will say he has never been able to hear other people.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:53:07 PM EDT
[#12]
That really sucks. I had his show on today but was doing all sorts of stuff and did not hear it.  Ill be listening tomorrow, see what happens.  I was wondering about last week why he took off.  
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:07:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Well thats sad. At least he likes himself enough to make it through this trouble.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:25:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm really going to watch & see how the "compassionate" left is gonna handle this one, ala CNN etc. etc.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:55:19 PM EDT
[#15]
WOW...I am shocked to hear this sad news.  However, I think some of you are missing the point.

Deaf does not mean mute.  While it might affect his diction somewhat, he knows how to talk and has plenty of muscle memory in that area (believe me, he has!).

So, maybe he'll record commentaries for radio broadcast.  That's what Paul Harvey has done for many years now!  He is inventive, and I doubt he'll give up.

Here's a scenario...instead of callers, he'll get emailers.  That way he can read their opinions and questions and respond to them.  While less powerful, it would still let us hear his fantastic voice and viewpoints.

I'll be adding him to my prayer list!
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:03:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Deafness can be treated (if the patient so desires*) through the use of a Cochlear Implant.  *[Some people adhere to Deaf Culture & prefer it as a way of life...but that is another issue.]

It's not the same as normal/natural hearing, but if he chooses to hear (again), he can.

It takes about 6months to 1yr of therapy, after the surgery to gains maximum benefit from the CI...his speech production may not be as good as before OR it may be just as good...depends on his adaptability & the therapist.

Well, that's the simple explanation.  If you want to learn more about CIs:

[url]http://www.earsurgery.org/cochlear.html[/url]

[url]http://www.dallascochlear.com/[/url]

[url]http://www.cochlearimplant.com/[/url]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top