Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/8/2001 12:48:53 PM EDT
Now this was sent to my pager and it reads

* FBI Investigating Possibility Anthrax Bacteria Detected in 2 Fla. Men Caused by Terrorism.

Now I don't want to start anything but this is just something everyone should know.

[url]http://www.abcnews.go.com/sections/us/DailyNews/WTC_Investigation.html[/url]

This link is one of the thing I found on it.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 12:52:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Fox News is reporting that some companie's building (AMI) is quarantined and people are getting antibiotics and test.  American Media Inc?  I missed the name.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 12:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I've also heard that the dead victim was a National Geographic photographer; would that explain his relationship to a media company?  

I guess my question is, how in the fuck did anyone know to just start testing for Anthrax in some seemingly random corporate office building?
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven't heard that anyone has died, so don't know about that.. What I do know, is that the "media" company in this building ran the National Enquirer (sp?), and one other tabloid.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:18:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Guys this one is fucking with me. It is 5:10 and I sit here waiting for my wife to come home from the Boca office she works at.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:21:53 PM EDT
[#5]
It was in the office that the tabloid "The Sun" is headquartered in.

The guy was said to be an avid outdoors man and my have became infected that way. It was also said that he did a lot of gardening and that anthrax can be found in some types of soil.

He became ill and went to the hospital. Initially they thought it was menengitis but it turned out to be pulmonary anthrax.

He died two days ago if I remember correctly. They began testing everyone that he worked with and this is how the second case was found. The second case is said to be minor and the guy is expected to live. The first guys office was also found to be contaminated with anthrax spores and this is possibly how the second guy contracted it.

Michael
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:22:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Guy named Bob Stevens died two days ago from inhalathion anthrax.  Another guy in the same office shows signs of anthrax contact but no symptomatology.

Both parties in question work for a supermarket tabloid (maybe the Star?).  Anthrax organisms were recovered from the keyboard of Steven's computer.

The building's been quarantined, occupants and transients identified and it supposedly looks coincidental.  CDC is looking for source of original vector, but until gene scan is done it will be hard to tell where the strain came from.

Not a real worry at least yet.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 1:27:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got home a few minutes ago and talked with my wife.  She has been looking on the web for any information on the anthrax case.  Her sister just moved to Florida several months ago.  Here is an eerie quote from The Palm Beach Post.

"Most of the suspected hijackers in the Sept. 11 attacks on New York and Washington spent time in Palm Beach County. One of them, Mohamed Atta, flew planes on Aug. 16, 17 and 20 from the Lantana airport, less than a mile from Stevens' home, and looked at crop-dusters at a Belle Glade airport in the days before the attacks."

The rest is here...

http://www.gopbi.com/partners/pbpost/news/108anthrax.html
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:02:08 PM EDT
[#8]
[url]http://www.gopbi.com/partners/pbpost/news/108anthrax.html[/url]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:24:09 PM EDT
[#9]
[url]http://www.msnbc.com/news/639937.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:25:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I just got information that the FBI are
looking for a middle eastern man that had
interned at the AMI building. Apparently
he left a somewhat earie email when he
left the company.

The FBI is also following a lead that a piece
of mail had arrived that contained a picture
of Jennifer Lopez, The star of david and
a white powdery substance.

Both the infected men had come in contact with that package.

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:31:46 PM EDT
[#11]

What had been described as a public-health probe instantly became a criminal investigation as FBI agents on Sunday evening sealed off the office building, which houses the offices of most of the country’s supermarket tabloids including The National Enquirer, The Star, The Globe, News of the World and others.
View Quote

Seems that they are all in that building together.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#12]
They just said on Dateline that there was a letter received at that building with a strange substance in it.  I think they said it arrived 2 weeks before the 9/11 WTC incident.  Both of the men infected with Anthrax had handled that letter.  One of them was the mail carrier...I think that's the one that's still alive.  Anyone else have any more updates on this?
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:35:36 PM EDT
[#13]
More stuff from Florida....

HIALEAH - Eight people from two homes were hospitalized Sunday after they received manila envelopes containing a mysterious white powder, rescue officials said.

http://www.floridatoday.com/news/local/stories/2001/oct/loc100801k.htm
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
More stuff from Florida....

HIALEAH - Eight people from two homes were hospitalized Sunday after they received manila envelopes containing a mysterious white powder, rescue officials said.

[url]http://www.floridatoday.com/news/local/stories/2001/oct/loc100801k.htm[/url]
View Quote

Sounds like a case of malicious mischief. A copy cat. The white powder at the SUN caused NO immediate effects. This sounds like a powdered caustic agent of somekind.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:44:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Not sure there is a connection, but it's mighty odd.......
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#16]
The News show this evening said that the type of anthrax the fellow died from is inhalation anthrax, [b]which has only killed eighteen people in this country [u]in the last century[/u]![/b]

Eric The(WhatAreTheChancesOfThat?!)Hun[>]:)]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:51:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Apparently once every hundred years...
[img]http://www.artifex.ws/images/icon_gas.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:58:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The News show this evening said that the type of anthrax the fellow died from is inhalation anthrax, [b]which has only killed eighteen people in this country [u]in the last century[/u]![/b]

Eric The(WhatAreTheChancesOfThat?!)Hun[>]:)]
View Quote

Ask the other 18 people.
But this was most probably spread by a person, not by nature.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:59:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Two guys from the same building infected?  Me thinks this is not a coincidence.  SteyerAUG let us know if she makes it home alright.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:11:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Two guys from the same building infected?  Me thinks this is not a coincidence.
View Quote

That isnt the coincidence. The coincidence is the timing and the fact that this office was only a mile away from the airfield where some of the WTC attackers took flying lessions.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 7:21:06 PM EDT
[#21]
... This is just sorry luck for those two.

Sure, someone, maybe even the infamous terrorists that steered the planes on 9/11 did it. But the odds that it will effect you are nil.

Better off betting on the Powerball.

For sure, I wouldn't sleep too comfortably in eastern Afghanistan now and in the next couple months. I'm hoping that these fundementalist extremist will soon realize that terrorism doesn't come cheap.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 8:04:26 PM EDT
[#22]
maybe the sun was outta stories, and are making thier own
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 1:53:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top