Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2007 6:57:22 PM EDT
I had a strange craving for apple juice the other night as I was walking through Krogers.  I never drink apple juice but saw the Kroger brand on the end cap and bought it.

Tonight I just got done taking a drink from the bottle and noticed a small marking that said "apple juice concentrate from China".  WTF, how can it be cheaper to ship apple juice half way around the world than it is to make it here?  

Had I seen that it came from China I never would have bought it.  Now I have to wonder what is really in it since I know that even with the concentrate being shipped half way around the world it was still the cheapest apple juice by far as it was the Kroger brand.  It tastes fine but I think I'm going to throw it out.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Melamine.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:58:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Labor
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:58:31 PM EDT
[#3]
It'll turn you into a communist!
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:59:00 PM EDT
[#4]
It's not really apple juice.  

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:59:25 PM EDT
[#5]
They use ethylene glycol as a sweetener in China.  I'd watch those kidneys the next couple of days.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:00:31 PM EDT
[#6]
By drinking it , it makes you closer to being a communist. Your almost there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:01:49 PM EDT
[#7]
commie urine
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Soylent apple juice!

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:02:47 PM EDT
[#9]
They cut it with antifreeze toothpaste.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:09:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Because China's price level is significantly lower than ours. So our money will buy significantly more apple juice there than it will here. Everything is less expensive there, labor, land, natural resources, etc.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Me Chinese, me play joke....

ETA: And yes as a dirty white boy I do find pee-pee in coke to be hilarious.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:12:04 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Labor

How much can labor be?  We have illegals to pick the fruit, you know the jobs that Americans don't want to do.  After the apples are picked it's all pretty much an automated mechanical process here in the US.  I don't see labor being much of an issue for something like juice.  

On the commie juice you have the extra transportation costs to port in China, dock workers loading the boat, US dock workers unloading the boat, and then transportation to the Kroger bottling facility.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:15:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a pic of the juice and marking.

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:15:39 PM EDT
[#14]
Infant slave labor.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:23:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Infant slave labor.

I have it on good authority that the infant slaves arent given ladders. Keeps the overhead down.
They stuff 'em in mortar tubes and arc 'em into the tree tops. After five years they let 'em climb down.
Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:25:54 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Infant slave labor.

I have it on good authority that the infant slaves arent given ladders. Keeps the overhead down.
They stuff 'em in mortar tubes and arc 'em into the tree tops. After five years they let 'em climb down.
Just sayin'.

Only if they have met the pickin' quota
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:28:33 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Infant slave labor.

Just sayin'.

Only if they have met the pickin' quota

They gotta start school sometime.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:31:09 PM EDT
[#18]
As a geographer, I'm guessing that it is due to large government based subsidies.

It follows the same logic that it is cheaper for Jamaicans to buy powdered milk from the United States than to raise cows to produce their own.

Free-market capitalism has become distorted by substitutes and the WTO.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:38:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Duhhh.  It says, "concentrate from China."  Their only contribution to the apple juice is intense thought.  What's the problem???  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:40:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Most concentrates are not from the USA. Most of them are from China and South/Central America.

I think it's more of an availability thing than anything else. You buy what you can. Obviously some things have to be imported because they aren't native to the USA - stuff like Bananas I would assume, and of course some stuff only comes from the USA - like oranges and peaches.

Maybe they use the USA Apples for important apple stuff - like Apple Pies.
THey use the low grade Chinese stuff for old-people/infant food - stuff like apple sauce, apple juice, etc.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Infant slave labor.

Just sayin'.

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Labor

Ding

We have a winner

How it's done in the US
You pay some Mexican $16-18 a bin to pick them, $8+ an hour to thin them $8+ an hour to prop the trees, property tax, water, equipment and upkeep of same, general repairs, fuel for the tractors, fuel and upkeep on the windmachines, insecticides, herbicides, bees (yes BEES), insurance (property, liability & hail), packing costs.....................................................................................................................

Then after all that, your packing shed sends your culls to the processing plant (ie Tree Top, Seneca.....), they take their cut.

Then the wholesaler/distributor gets theirs.

Cant leave out the supermarket.

Orchardist gets $55 a ton. on a good year.  $7-20 a packed box depending on type, size and grade

How it's done in China

Force Chinese pheasant to do all the labor, communist government flips the bill on all the rest.

Send to processing plant ran by communist government , and poison

Lowball the price and sell to US wholesaler/distributor.

Wholesaler/distributor sells to supermarket both getting big cuts.

BTW, no law prevents them from using insecticides banned in the US.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:03:44 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Duhhh.  It says, "concentrate from China."  Their only contribution to the apple juice is intense thought.  What's the problem???  

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

How it's done in China

Force Chinese pheasant to do all the labor, communist government flips the bill on all the rest.

Send to processing plant ran by communist government, and poison

Lowball the price and sell to US wholesaler/distributor.

Wholesaler/distributor sells to supermarket both getting big cuts.

BTW, no law prevents them from using insecticides banned in the US.

They either have some damn skilled animal trainers over there, or their birds are just a lot smarter than ours.

(Sorry, couldn't resist )
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:11:00 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
THey use the low grade Chinese stuff for old-people/infant food - stuff like apple sauce, apple juice, etc.

Chinese apple pie video
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:11:11 PM EDT
[#26]
How pathetic.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:16:13 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Labor

Yep, you can thank the minimum wage and various labor-related taxes for driving such production overseas.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:05:58 PM EDT
[#28]
I can't believe no one has laid claim yet!

Dibs on your guns!
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:38:16 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Dammit I was thinking the same thing. Between you and MrClean4hire I can't get a thread in edgewise!
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:42:49 PM EDT
[#30]
As long as it doesnt have Ecoli.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:51:09 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Labor

Yep, you can thank the minimum wage and various labor-related taxes for driving such production overseas.

And farm subsidies...

You 'must' pay this much for farm products, so we can keep Joe Family Farmer in business when it is not economically sound for him to be there...

Gotta love that populisim....
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:51:20 PM EDT
[#32]
BUT BUT BUT I thought only Wal-Mart sells stuff from China? Are we all going to boycott Krogers now?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#33]
It's all part of the communist plot to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids.

Part of the Chinese advantage could be the exchange rate. Let the Yuan float and see if their apple juice is competitive.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:26:31 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Chinese apple pie video

holy shit, 2$ fucking suits!!!!

I know where im going next trip!!!!! im gonna get me like 20 suits, so im covered for the rest of my fuckin life!
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:30:10 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
It's all part of the communist plot to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids.

Bingo! Spot on!

Have you ever seen a communist drink a glass of water?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:52:17 PM EDT
[#36]
My sister went to the islands last year

I asked her to bring me back a bottle of the cheap local rum

It was distilled in Kentucky  

How do you distill a liter of rum, ship it halfway across the country, all the way across the Carribean, and have it come out cheaper than JAMAICAN RUM?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top