Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2007 8:48:50 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:50:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Yes.

Try external heat.  Put a heating pad on your face until you get some drainage.

When mine get bad I often end up going to the doc to get a run of antibiotics.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:53:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Yup, I was at work last week and used my hankie so much that my right pocket was soaked thru to the outside. Looked like I pissed myself.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:55:45 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Yup, I was at work last week and used my hankie so much that my right pocket was soaked thru to the outside. Looked like I pissed myself.

It gets a lot worse when your infection is so bad it doesn't drain.  That's when the real pain kicks in.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:56:08 AM EDT
[#4]
No. I make a solution of onion, garlic, horse radish, ginger, cayenne pepper, and apple cider vinegar that I squirt up my sinuses if they ever get clogged. Fixes them right up immediately, but most of you panseys should stay with Sudafed.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:57:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Alkalol nasal rinse.  Works great.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, Got so bad that I went through the sinus surgery.  Which sux very much bad, but a few weeks of discomfort is a lot better than dealing with the continual sinus infections.  This is something to think about if the pain is so much you can't concentrate.  Hope that helps and until then, take some alegra d and advil.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:36:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Sinus irrigation works WONDERS.

I haven't had a sinus infection or a cold since I started doing it.

Prior to that, I had cronic sinus problems and respiratory issues related to it. Lung problems, headaches, etc...
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:41:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sinus irrigation works WONDERS....

Yes, but be careful.  Nasal contents left in the bathroom sink, tub, or shower can be destructive to your marriage.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:44:25 AM EDT
[#9]
In January, I had an infection in my ethmoid (sp?) sinuses behind my eyes so bad that my wife had to take me to the ER.  The pain was that debilitating.

+1 on the sinus rinses.  They really help by flushing out a lot of the irritants that cause allergic reactions, along with nasties that cause infections.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 9:50:28 AM EDT
[#10]
My sinus problems are so bad that when they plug up i feel drunk,(dizzy-Disoriented) My life saver has been Rhinocort...The stuff has done wonders for me and that's all that works for me.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Get you some Promethazine! It will alow you to function. The minute you stop your going down for the count.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Alkalol nasal rinse.  Works great.

+1 on the nasal rinse

Yours is probably from spider bites though so I don't know if the rinse will help
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:17:45 AM EDT
[#13]
After continous sinus infections, the wife finally convinced me to try salt-water flushing with a nettie pot. Sounded like it was gonna hurt, but I tried it anyway.

Wow. It really worked wonders!
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:25:51 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
After continous sinus infections, the wife finally convinced me to try salt-water flushing with a nettie pot. Sounded like it was gonna hurt, but I tried it anyway.

+1.  I used to have sinus issues as a kid I thought I had outgrown.  Once we had kids, and they brought home every cold known to man, and 6 months of near constant sinus infections, I realized I hadn't outgrown anything.  I started using a netti pot.  Have been for the past 6 years, and don't plan on stopping.  It also really helps with seasonal allergies.  Keeps symptoms under control.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:31:23 AM EDT
[#15]
Once you start to realize that your nose and sinuses are nothing more than a fancy biological air filter, you will understand why it needs to be flushed and cleaned often.

My sinuses have never felt better since I started the irrigation routine.
Whenever I feel a little plugged up or if it feels like my sinuses are irritated, I will flush them.
I haven't had a sinus infection or a cold since I started doing this. That is the honest to God truth. I tell everyone I can about this...even as strange as it may sound to some, it WORKS.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 12:31:06 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1.  I used to have sinus issues as a kid I thought I had outgrown.  Once we had kids, and they brought home every cold known to man, and 6 months of near constant sinus infections, I realized I hadn't outgrown anything.  I started using a netti pot.  Have been for the past 6 years, and don't plan on stopping.  It also really helps with seasonal allergies.  Keeps symptoms under control.  

+2 on the Neti Pot
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 12:42:13 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Once you start to realize that your nose and sinuses are nothing more than a fancy biological air filter, you will understand why it needs to be flushed and cleaned often.

My sinuses have never felt better since I started the irrigation routine.
Whenever I feel a little plugged up or if it feels like my sinuses are irritated, I will flush them.
I haven't had a sinus infection or a cold since I started doing this. That is the honest to God truth. I tell everyone I can about this...even as strange as it may sound to some, it WORKS.

And I can use saline washes anytime, as often as needed. Whatever medicated stuff I had been prescribed before was once daily, and didn't work as well.

OTC and portable, and it doesn't burn.....

Since I borrowed their image, here's their link www.amazon.com/Moisturizing-Natural-Eucalyptol-Menthol-1-Ounce/dp/B000FKGP0Y

I usually get mine at the commissary or at Hannaford's...

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 12:51:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I found out about this here on arfcom, it works

www.alerg.com/page/A/PROD/SST/SST2000
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 3:00:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 3:07:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Ever have it so bad that when you blow your nose you get some fluid coming out of your eyes?

My favorite is when I get sinus massages and then the snot flows like a river.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 3:37:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Ever have it so bad that when you blow your nose you get some fluid coming out of your eyes?

What is a sinus masage?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What is a sinus masage?

Have someone massage your "t-zone" if that makes sense.
Your brows, your nose, etc.
Really relives the pressure.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 3:50:03 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Get you some Promethazine! It will alow you to function. The minute you stop your going down for the count.

Why the hell would you take promethazine (an anti-emetic) for a sinus infection?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 3:52:42 PM EDT
[#25]
yup!  the antibiotic resistant infection i came down with at a cioncert earlier this year was pretty nasty.  after amoxicilllin failed, the real pain kicked in.

omnicef, steroids, hydrocodone suspension, pseudoephedrine, and acetaminophen FTW!
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 3:58:12 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

A happy ending??
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why the hell would you take promethazine (an anti-emetic) for a sinus infection?

That's only one of its many uses (anti-emetic).  It's also an anti-histamine, and is prescribed for all forms of allergic reactions.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:04:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I will say it one time:

Nasal Irrigation.

Did you hear that?

Nasal fucking irrigation.

Let me repeat - nasal irrigation

link

I had the worst sinus problem ever.  

Started doing this 15 years ago.

It really works.  Problems virtually gone!

It is also fabulous for head colds.

Go to the store now and get your little bulb.  

Forget about all of the fancy expensive water pic stuff.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:23:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Just in case any of you missed what I said

NASAL IRRIGATION!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 6:38:17 PM EDT
[#30]
Nasal irrigation, +1000.  You don't need to spend money buying the over the counter saline sprays, or neti pots for that matter.  Buy a plastic squeeze bottle at Wally World or Walgreens.  Buy some kosher salt, or table salt that does not contain iodine (iodine in salt burns!), and some baking soda (the baking soda acts as a buffer).  Use maybe 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and baking soda per 1/2 cup of water, experiment and find out how much works for you.  Use warm water.  Fill the bottle, shake it well so the salt and soda dissolves, tip your head back and fill up both nostrils.  Try to hold it as long as you can, you might try gently exhaling through your nose while the solution is in, to make it bubble and percolate.  Tip your head forward and let it drain, then repeat the process a few times, or as much as you can stand it.  I've heard that neti pots are good for irrigating while facing down, letting the water drain from your mouth.  The process may bother you at first, but you'll come to enjoy it, and wonder how you ever got along without it.  Do it several times a day when suffering bad sinus symptoms, and once or twice a day as a general thing.  Keep the bottle clean, of course.  Some people use only distilled water.

A variation I've heard of is hypersaline nasal irrigation, where you put a LOT of salt in the solution.  You should not swallow this solution, just hold it in as long as you can, then let it drain from your mouth or nostrils.  The salt supposedly helps draw out the gunk.  Blowing your nose when your sinuses are acting up is not a good idea, the pressure actually drives the infection deeper.  Try inhaling sharply instead to pull it out.  Finally, if you have sinus problems, you shouldn't take antihistamines.  They tend to dry out the sinuses, which leads to infection.  Keeping the sinuses moist helps prevent infection.  Instead of antihistamines, take medications with decongestants only.  Guaifenesin is a great pure decongestant.  Be sure to drink plenty of water with it.

Oh, try sleeping with a humidifier or vaporizer running in your bedroom, it helps as well.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top