Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2007 4:06:51 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:35:28 AM EDT
[#1]
The "war on poverty" - throwing money at the problem.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:38:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I feel a CoC violation coming on......
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:46:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

What's your problem?

We just haven't thrown enough money at poverty yet.  Why, just a few trillion more and we'll have poverty on the ropes don't 'ya know.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:49:33 AM EDT
[#4]

the fact that some people need to be "rewarded" as encouragement to do the most basic of day-to-day tasks should be an indication that these folks will never make any real contribution anyhow, and probably aren't worth the trouble.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:49:58 AM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like Blunderberg just put a down payment on VOTES, whats he up to
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:52:43 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

the fact that some people need to be "rewarded" as encouragement to do the most basic of day-to-day tasks should be an indication that these folks will never make any real contribution anyhow, and probably aren't worth the trouble.

+1

In fact, it will make these leeches MORE dependent on the government tit.  This idea ranks up there with some of the most ridiculous I have ever heard.

The US will not survive much longer with "leaders" like this . . .

CMOS
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:57:40 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1

In fact, it will make these leeches MORE dependent on the government tit.  This idea ranks up there with some of the most ridiculous I have ever heard.

The US will not survive much longer with "leaders" like this . . .

CMOS

He has taken a page out of fat teddy's playbook. Give them $$$ and get them hooked on it, and they will keep voting for you.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:00:44 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

smart politician.

He will get far in this life, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:45:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:46:07 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Ed Zachary.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:04:45 AM EDT
[#11]
Dammit... I'm trying to ration my few remaining posts before #1000, which will be a long time in the making... and here I go wasting one on this.

I find it interesting that everyone has problems with this. None of this is taxpayers money... we should be happy.

I'm of the personal belief that govt shouldn't be involved in wealth redistribution (among many other things), which this is not.

I've had many long discussions with my wife about charities, and what we would do if we had billions of dollars. I am always on the side of educating people and helping them change their lives/lifestyle, and oppose giving people free handouts.

Although I wouldn't personally go this route if I was in charge... at least it's on the right track. It's encouraging people to improve their lives themselves.

I agree with the sentiment that it's stupid to have to pay (or otherwise help) people to encourage them to do such simple things as getting an education, keeping a job, etc. But when it's a private organization doing it out of charity, and NOT taking away (by force) MY/YOUR money to do this, I say more power to them.

I only wish ALL charities would completely drop the handout mentality and only help people who are willing to at least try to improve their lives.

At least with this program, the true deadbeats won't benefit, and targets people who need (and are willing) to be taught what we would consider no-brainer life lessons.

Please forgive my lack of further replies... I'm months (at the soonest) away from being ready for post 1k.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:07:38 AM EDT
[#12]
I wanted to scream when I read it today.

$600 per test to pass the Regents exam?

$25/month elementary, $50/month High school for 95% attendance?

$50 for getting a LIBRARY CARD

What these kids need is a fucking parent who gives a shit, not a few bucks that they will spend on some damn brand name shirt or sneakers.

Fucking city.

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:07:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Not eating is a great motivator as well.  Its also cheaper.

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Fixed it for ya
Quoted:

Dammit... I'm trying to ration my few remaining posts before #1000, which will be a long time in the making... and here I go wasting one on this.

I find it interesting that everyone has problems with this. None of this is taxpayers money YET... we should be happy until they force us to pony up, then we'll be stuck footing the bill.

I'm of the personal belief that govt shouldn't be involved in wealth redistribution (among many other things), which this is not. It's just not YOUR wealth yet.

I've had many long discussions with my wife about charities, and what we would do if we had billions of dollars. I am always on the side of educating people and helping them change their lives/lifestyle, and oppose giving people free handouts like what bloomberg is doing.

Although I wouldn't personally go this route if I was in charge... at least it's on the right track. It's encouraging people to improve their lives themselves.

I agree with the sentiment that it's stupid to have to pay (or otherwise help) people to encourage them to do such simple things as getting an education, keeping a job, etc. But when it's a private organization doing it out of charity, and NOT taking away (by force) MY/YOUR money to do this, I say more power to them (the Government).

I only wish ALL private charities would completely drop the handout mentality and only help people who are willing to at least try to improve their lives.

At least with this program, the true deadbeats won't benefit legitmately, and targets people who need (and are willing) to be taught what we would consider no-brainer life lessons.  At least It will take them 3 weeks to figure out how to game the system.

Please forgive my lack of further replies... I'm months (at the soonest) away from being ready for post 1k, and I approve of these changes, until then .
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#15]
There's a LIBERAL HIPPIE in my office who was REVOLTED at this listening to ten ten wins this morning.  she literally threw the radio off her desk to turn it off.  I think I'm beginning to affect her!
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:54:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
There's a LIBERAL HIPPIE in my office who was REVOLTED at this listening to ten ten wins this morning.  she literally threw the radio off her desk to turn it off.  I think I'm beginning to affect her!

Keep working on her, then she can convert her friends.    We can bring sanity back to the U.S. one person at a time.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:58:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Thats retarded.

Bet they stick more taxes upon commuters.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:59:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

I find it interesting that everyone has problems with this. None of this is taxpayers money... we should be happy.

I'm of the personal belief that govt shouldn't be involved in wealth redistribution (among many other things), which this is not.

I've had many long discussions with my wife about charities, and what we would do if we had billions of dollars. I am always on the side of educating people and helping them change their lives/lifestyle, and oppose giving people free handouts.

I agree with the sentiment that it's stupid to have to pay (or otherwise help) people to encourage them to do such simple things as getting an education, keeping a job, etc. But when it's a private organization doing it out of charity, and NOT taking away (by force) MY/YOUR money to do this, I say more power to them.

I only wish ALL charities would completely drop the handout mentality and only help people who are willing to at least try to improve their lives.

At least with this program, the true deadbeats won't benefit, and targets people who need (and are willing) to be taught what we would consider no-brainer life lessons.

Please forgive my lack of further replies... I'm months (at the soonest) away from being ready for post 1k.

Don’t you realize this is a pilot plan?  If all goes well on the short end this could become a government (your tax dollars) plan.  
Say goodbye to personal responsibility.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#19]
I am sure that they will be happy to take the money.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:05:02 AM EDT
[#20]

Taxpayers aren't footing the bill. Bloomberg has reached into his own deep pockets to fund Opportunity NYC, although aides wouldn't say how much. The Rockefeller and Starr foundations have each donated $10million, while the Open Society Institute has given $5 million and the AIG insurance company $2 million, for a $27 million total.

That's the good news.  Bad news is don't donate to

- The Rockefeller and Starr foundations
- the Open Society Institute

Nor do business wtih AIG insurance.  

I'd want my insurance premiums lowered rather than raised and given to lazy non-working leeches
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:27:18 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I am sure that they will be happy to take the money.

Dayum! Dat's like sum of dem spinnin' rims and dez new Nike sneak'as!
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Wow they are paying them to do what they are supposed to do anyway.

Hmmmmm................................................

Paying parents to be, um, parents and show up for parent teach conferences?

Paying kids to go to school and pass tests?

WTF?

Oh yeah, and Wave and his brethren continue to work without contract on measly pay.  

Maybe you guys can qualify for all of Bloomberg's extra cash if you have kids.  Go to your parent teach conference with your kid instead of going to work since it might pay more in the long run.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 11:58:59 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Taxpayers aren't footing the bill. Bloomberg has reached into his own deep pockets to fund Opportunity NYC, although aides wouldn't say how much.

A fool and his money are soon parted.....

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 12:14:50 PM EDT
[#24]
It just sounds like Bloomhole and his rich millionaire buddies found a new way to get a big tax write off and look like freaking mother theresa while doing it.

Maybe.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 12:19:37 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:03:47 PM EDT
[#26]
I knew he was never a Republican either. Bloomberg Leaves GOP
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:52:05 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

What's your problem?

We just haven't thrown enough money at poverty yet.  Why, just a few trillion more and we'll have poverty on the ropes don't 'ya know.  

"A billion here, a billion there- pretty soon, you're talking real money."
- --the late Senator Everett Dirksen

Link Posted: 6/19/2007 5:59:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Well we know atleast 40,000 of the homeless are Vets..Because you know we're so good to the Veterans in this Country..Who give's a shit if he's motivating these people with money..Sounds better to me than the sit on your ass make a baby make money Welfare bullshit we have now..Give the poor bastard 150$ bucks a month to hold a job..It's private funds, Now..That's the Keyword..Stupid idea for the msot part but im not going out of my way to stop it..
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top