Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2007 6:26:14 PM EDT
I have thought about this at depth. Why do we call them terrorists?

Seriously, on 9-11-01 i wasn't scared, I was so angry i could not contain myself but i wasn't terrified.

Is it a bow to the sheeple, who do fear them? It has to be! I think it is the the diffrence between thinking like a warriror and thinking like a neutered sheep.

A person who thinks like a warrior(I'm talking about the mindset not the actual societal position) It seems to me immediately reacts to a threat by thinking about dealing with or eliminating that threat.(This seems to be a Rightist political leaning person.)

Others who have chosen to be neutered psychologically or ideologically automatically go into "Oh my god! What is going to happen to me?" mode instead of automatically reacting in a save yourself and others fashion.(Tbhis seems to be the left leaning sheltered from reality by their parents growing up person.)

I just can't think like a sheep, I was peace officer and am a Volunteer firefighter but do not consider myself a warrior even though i feel i harbor that mindset.

I actually get physically ill when i see someone capitulate instead of finding solutions to threats arrayed before them. I mean i am definatley the guy who would be slapping the person in my group was sitting there crying instead of doing something constructive about the danger.

I mean seriously, I am not afraid of death, because once your dead your dead there isn't a whole lot more they can do to you. So why be terrified, I am not going to alter my life for the cowards i am not going to curl up and cry. If given the chance i'll take some of the pricks and prickesses with me. Why waste life worrying about if/when it happen, I have betterthings to do than worry about whther i'm gogin to win that lottery.

Anyone with me on this?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:36:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Terrorists...........if you don't agree with that label, do you have a better one ??

The act of 9/11 was intended to strike terror in America.  Each of us can decide how effective was that act and how appropriate the label.

T
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:37:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You weren't scared or "terrorfied"  because you weren't there.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:37:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Lets call them argerfists cause thats such a better name.....
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd prefer to call them "my targets", but terrorists is appropriate.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:41:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask a bus commuter in Tel Aviv why they call them "terrorists".
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:41:55 PM EDT
[#6]
It diverts attention away from the real threat.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#7]
The best term I've heard was MrClean4Hire's way to describe radical violent muslim extremists.

Islamocockfags.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:48:49 PM EDT
[#8]
No, Pangea, I do not think i would've been terrified, Like i said what is their to be terrified of if you do not fear death?

Seriously, I've been shot at, didn't scare me, made me mad!

I've been in Chemical spills, Fires structural and wildland, floods, a tornado, car accidents and i've never been scared, I just took it in stride.

In fact during the car accident i totalled the car but as i was heading for the railing on the ice at 60mph i wasn't thinking "Aw S*it!" i was ratinally saying "Well this is going to leave a mark! Dale Earnhardt here i come!"

I have never been terrified and i've been trapped in burning buildings with no way out but i just developed a plan and everything worked out through my effort to deal with it!

I just feel fear and panic don't produce anyything and it's like i just eradicated them from my repotiore of reactions to things.

I must be mental or stupid if you like but i just don't fear anything i just angry and motivated.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I have never been terrified and i've been trapped in burning buildings with no way out!

Wow. You died more than once already?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I suppose if you lived in Israel or Lebanon you'd think the term 'terrorist' was appropriate.

9/11 was a dark day for sure, but if we had to put up with it constantly then you wouldn't be asking the question.

Ask the good folks in Iraq and AFG how they'd classify those people.

HH
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 6:57:38 PM EDT
[#11]
I should've saidf "I've been trapped in burning buildings with no apparent way out!"

Thank you grammar police, I think it should've been obvious i made it out due to not panicking and giving up, but coming up wioth a plan instead.Duh!

I don't know, to me there is a difference betwen "Scared" and "Terrifed" to me "scared" is a natural state of man and woman...TERRIFIED to me is however reserved for those who's fear takes them to a level they cannot function rationally!

In the use of Force Scale this is called "Condition Black".

I just believe it occurs earlier in the general population than those who have contemplated their reactions to certian things ahead of time and can remain "Cool under fire" and deal with the threat.

Do not misread this, Acts of Terror scare me but they do not terrify me, i can still function everyday irregardless of their plans to do me in.

I don't know what i would call them, in fact i do not use the term terrorist in relation to them in daily discourse i always subconsciously refer to them as "Islamic Extremists" or "Wahabbist" which is technacally what they are.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:02:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Not sure where you're going with this. According to common sense & my classes on terrorism the name merely denotes the individuals are attempting to use fear as a coercive mechanism for achieving their goals. It is not some honorific title that denotes their awe-striking capability, nor does it imply that brave men fall to their knees when terrorists approach.

To me "terrorist" simply means the person carrying that label is a cockroach that needs to have his guts stomped out all over the concrete sidewalk upon sight before he has the chance to do it to some innocent person. I don't have a problem with the term at all.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:07:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Naw it's not so much the label it's is their a better term for them. I agree with using their living guts to grease the wheelbearings of humvees!!

It just strikes me there has to be a better term for the scum!
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:08:06 PM EDT
[#14]
While both fall under the heading of "unconventional" combatants (as opposed to a uniformed army), using the classic military / political reference:

Terrorists attack targets occupied by civilians with the intention of disrupting day-to-day civilian existence to achieve their political goals through intimidation of the masses.

Guerillas attack target of military importance to disrupt the ability to fight.

While the Pentagon, White House, and other federal buildings are obvious target of national strategic importance, once could make the argument that WTC was as well, from an economic point of view. What made the attacks there an act of terror rather than warfare was (by AQ's own PR) the intent to demoralize American and cause the most civilian deaths possible. If the intent had been strictly to disable the commerce capability of the towers, they would have hit them outside of regular business hours; thus disrupting the physical machinerty but inflicting the minimum amount of collateral damage.

Like the difference between hitting the Cole and an embassy.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:12:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I have thought about this at depth. Why do we call them terrorists?

Seriously, on 9-11-01 i wasn't scared, I was so angry i could not contain myself but i wasn't terrified.

Is it a bow to the sheeple, who do fear them? It has to be! I think it is the the diffrence between thinking like a warriror and thinking like a neutered sheep.

A person who thinks like a warrior(I'm talking about the mindset not the actual societal position) It seems to me immediately reacts to a threat by thinking about dealing with or eliminating that threat.(This seems to be a Rightist political leaning person.)

Others who have chosen to be neutered psychologically or ideologically automatically go into "Oh my god! What is going to happen to me?" mode instead of automatically reacting in a save yourself and others fashion.(Tbhis seems to be the left leaning sheltered from reality by their parents growing up person.)

I just can't think like a sheep, I was peace officer and am a Volunteer firefighter but do not consider myself a warrior even though i feel i harbor that mindset.

I actually get physically ill when i see someone capitulate instead of finding solutions to threats arrayed before them. I mean i am definatley the guy who would be slapping the person in my group was sitting there crying instead of doing something constructive about the danger.

I mean seriously, I am not afraid of death, because once your dead your dead there isn't a whole lot more they can do to you. So why be terrified, I am not going to alter my life for the cowards i am not going to curl up and cry. If given the chance i'll take some of the pricks and prickesses with me. Why waste life worrying about if/when it happen, I have betterthings to do than worry about whther i'm gogin to win that lottery.

Anyone with me on this?

They are called 'Terrorists' because they attempt to accomplish a political or military objective by frightening the population of the target nation into giving them what they want...

9/11, as I've sead before, was a big fuck-up for Al Queda...

They went 'too far' and instead of making us question our foreign policy (Well, except the extreme fringe wingnuts) they made us mad... They made us want to break things... Like Afghanistan...

Note that all follow-on attacks have been much more (A) targeted, and (B) small
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:22:28 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

......under the heading of "unconventional" combatants .........

Terrorists attack targets occupied by civilians with the intention of disrupting day-to-day civilian existence to achieve their political goals through intimidation of the masses.

Guerillas attack target of military importance to disrupt the ability to fight.

Yes.

T
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:23:55 PM EDT
[#17]
islamotargets?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#18]
ISLAMOFACIST
ISLAMIST
ISLAMOTERRORIST

TERRORISM is a tactic , used by TERRORISTS
Call them what you want ...A TERRORIST BY ANY OTHER NAME IS STILL A TERRORIST...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top