Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2007 4:03:50 PM EDT
Anybody here ever use Seafoam to remedy an engine problem?   I've got a motorcycle that hesitates under acceleration and I'm hoping that Seafoam may help.   Good, bad, or indifferent, I'm interested in your experiences.  Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:06:53 PM EDT
[#1]
i'm a tech at a ford dealer and we use it, great stuff. sometimes repairs the items that you are complaining about, works well in fuel, and decarbs the crap out of the induction system, excellent product
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
i've used it in an old honda prior to yearly smogging..

seems to work well..
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:08:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I have used it on two stroke outboard motors with great results.

I take 1 can of seafoam and 1 gallon of gas and run the motor for 15 minutes at idle. Then wait 15 minutes and idle for 15 minutes. Repeat three to five times and bingo, clean carbs.

Note, the above is for outboard 2 stroke marine engines. I can not tell you how to use it on a motorcycle.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:09:16 PM EDT
[#4]
I've heard good things from people with firsthand experience, but I prefer and have used the heck out of BG products.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:09:20 PM EDT
[#5]
I like it just because it allows me to blow humongous clouds of white smoke!
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:09:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Tried it, with so-so results. The best - by far - is BG Product's 44K. It's pretty much standard equipment in most service departments (dealer and independent). Rather pricey over the counter (around $20-$25 a can), but you can buy it by the 12-pack on ebay for around 6 bucks a can. It's like crack cocaine for high-perf engines - they eat it up!
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:12:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm thinking that I've got gummed up carbs from sitting for a year or two.  Starts and idles great, though.  I just hate to have to do the tear down, clean, and rebuild routine if there's an easier way.  I'll take a look at the BG as well.  
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:15:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I put some in my bike last year, it seemed to smooth out so I'd recommend it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:16:06 PM EDT
[#9]
I used a can of it on my T100.  Blew clouds of smoke, but aside from that, I honestly didn't see a very dramatic improvement.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:16:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I tried it on my 90 Merc w/ a 302 V8.  I had heard that it would reduce pinging. I have used the Chevron Techron Concentrate with moderate success to clean injectors and reduce pinging, otherwise I sometimes have to use midgrade gas.  IN any event, I saw lots of white smoke with the Seafoam, but no real difference in my car.   It may not have been dirty enough to matter.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 4:18:06 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I've heard good things from people with firsthand experience, but I prefer and have used the heck out of BG products.  

i love bg products too, my spiff money goes to ammo
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:53:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Bought several cans for my bike, but sold the bike before trying the product.  I do remember some benchrest shooters using Seafoam to clean the carbon out of their barrels...particularly the barrel throat.  Maybe I'll try it for that purpose.

dvo
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 7:55:11 AM EDT
[#13]
never heard of it?
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:15:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Outstanding stuff. You would not believe the gunk it cleans out of marine engines.

BTW:  Don't have the exhaust pointing at a white garage door when you do this,

Cleared up a rough idle and poor  acceleration on the wife's car too, although that took two cans.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 8:26:29 AM EDT
[#15]
If you have a wet clutch don't put it in your oil,  it might cause slippage.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you have a wet clutch don't put it in your oil,  it might cause slippage.

Good thought.  Thanks.

I'm gonna give it a run through the carb tomorrow and see what happens.
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:40:26 PM EDT
[#17]
I've heard nothing but great reviews on the stuff!
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Anybody here ever use Seafoam to remedy an engine problem?   I've got a motorcycle that hesitates under acceleration and I'm hoping that Seafoam may help.   Good, bad, or indifferent, I'm interested in your experiences.  Thanks.

I use it in everything I own at least twice a year.

My 40 horse Tohatsu 2 stroke outboard was running a little rough this Spring. I got some fresh gas and mixed it according to the directions. Went to the lake and after about 5 minutes it was running like a Singer sewing machine!

It is one of the best products that you can buy to help keep the fuel system clean.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/19/2007 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I like it just because it allows me to blow humongous clouds of white smoke!

+1

That was the best part.

I put it in the gas

put it in the oil ran for 100 miles then changed oil

slowly put in through throttle body at idle until engine chocked out let sit a while then fired up for the smoke show

MPG improved slightly after use
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top