Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2007 12:30:59 PM EDT
Well, that didn't take too long.  I'll bet the University was sweating this one.  I only hope that the 40 or so Professors that demanded the expulsion of the students are censured also.

www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,284077,00.html

Duke, Lacrosse Players Reach Settlement

Monday , June 18, 2007

Associated Press

DURHAM, N.C. —

Duke University has reached an undisclosed financial settlement with three former lacrosse players falsely accused of rape, the school said Monday.

Reade Seligmann, Collin Finnerty and Dave Evans were indicted last year on charges of rape, kidnapping and sexual offense after a woman told police she was attacked at a March 2006 team party where she was hired to perform as a stripper. Duke suspended all three, canceled the team's season and forced their coach to resign.

The allegations were debunked in April by state prosecutors, who said the players were the "innocent" victims of a "tragic rush to accuse" by Durham County District Attorney Mike Nifong. He was disbarred Saturday for breaking more than two dozen rules of professional conduct in his handling of the case.

The players' families racked up millions of dollars of legal bills in their defense, and appear likely to file a civil lawsuit against Nifong.

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:31:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Good.

Nifong needs to pay and so does the accuser and this one can be put to bed.

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:37:13 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the team came back to win. If the racial roles were reversed, it'd be a non-stop harrowing tale of perseverance and overcoming racist adversity.

The accuser should share a cell with Nifong.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I think the team came back to win. If the racial roles were reversed, it'd be a non-stop harrowing tale of perseverance and overcoming racist adversity.

The accuser should share a cell with Nifong.

Agreed on both counts.

I really hope they go ahead and sue the accuser.  Even though she doesn't have anything - and likely never will - it's something they should be able to hold over her head for the rest of her life.  Can you garnish someones welfare check?

-K
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 12:57:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Nifong should share a cell with the stripper.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#5]
It is interesting to note that the accuser hasnt been charged with ANYTHING for filing those false charges or lying.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:05:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
It is interesting to note that the accuser hasnt been charged with ANYTHING for filing those false charges or lying.

She might accuse them of raping her, so they are steering clear of that one.

Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#7]
#1 nifong should have the everloving shit sued out of HIM PERSONALLY. His $ not tax $.
#2  he should be fired immediatly and his pension should be canceled.
#3 The 40 or so profs should also be sued personally for libel.
#4 the stripper should be sued as well.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget to go after Jessie Jackson. Jessie Jackson went down there and had a march that was designed to belittle the Duke students and put pressure the DA to be more agressive.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:20:51 PM EDT
[#9]
I just want Nifong to FRY as much as the law will allow. What a fucking piece of SHIT!
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 1:37:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Nifong got disbarred, so he's pretty much been officially judged as being full of shit.  Now hopefully the accused families' win civil suits against him.

:Rant On: My problem with the Duke lacrosse rape case wasn't the outcome.  It's the fact that MILLIONS of people in this country are treated in much the same (and sometimes worse) ways by prosecutors and law enforcement, yet they and their families aren't Silver Spoons whose families can afford super high-price lawyers and don't attract huge media coverage that eventually calls it all into question.

Juries in this country are so quick to believe anything a prosecutor or LEO says, and it railroads tons of innocent folks, along with shoddy crime labs and faked evidence/testimony.

Think it can't happen to you?  The more little things are criminalized and the more powers that citizens are stripped of, the better your chances of getting in trouble.  And it's hard to fight the might of taxpayer funded zealousness.

And before I get a bunch of shit about the LEO comments, just save your time and move along. :Rant Off/:
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:02:23 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nifong got disbarred, so he's pretty much been officially judged as being full of shit.  Now hopefully the accused families' win civil suits against him.

:Rant On: My problem with the Duke lacrosse rape case wasn't the outcome.  It's the fact that MILLIONS of people in this country are treated in much the same (and sometimes worse) ways by prosecutors and law enforcement, yet they and their families aren't Silver Spoons whose families can afford super high-price lawyers and don't attract huge media coverage that eventually calls it all into question.

Juries in this country are so quick to believe anything a prosecutor or LEO says, and it railroads tons of innocent folks, along with shoddy crime labs and faked evidence/testimony.

Think it can't happen to you?  The more little things are criminalized and the more powers that citizens are stripped of, the better your chances of getting in trouble.  And it's hard to fight the might of taxpayer funded zealousness.

And before I get a bunch of shit about the LEO comments, just save your time and move along. :Rant Off/:

Somebody gets it.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 2:37:07 PM EDT
[#12]
you're absoloutely, completely right!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top