Did he whisper when he said it?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:21:15 PM EDT
[#2]
well it was a ship that went into battle
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
What a moron.

So what? Shouldn't you be out putting a plow on your truck for the next 8 months of winter?  
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:22:54 PM EDT
[#4]
You know he was a Navy Seal?

You know how you can tell? He has no idea how the real Navy works.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:24:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Baldy the Wonder Seal strikes again!
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:12:02 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Baldy the Wonder Seal strikes again!

It's "Baldo".
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#7]
He also said the M14 shoots a 7.62 round, just like the AK-47 does.

Technically correct? yes
But come on!
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:17:02 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Technically correct? yes
But come on!

You might be surprised how little trigger pullers actually know about firearms.

In my old platoon, everyone from the E-7 on down bet against me, they were saying that the Dragunov fires a 7.62x51 and the 240G fires 7.62x54.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:18:11 PM EDT
[#9]
It's a TV show guys. Cut him a break and admit your jealous that he turned being a seal into a very cool civilian job making better money than most of us.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:19:34 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
It's a TV show guys. Cut him a break and admit your jealous that he turned being a seal into a very cool civilian job making better money than most of us.

I seriously doubt he is making tons of money on a 1 hour Discovery channel show.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Technically correct? yes
But come on!

In my old platoon, everyone from the E-7 on down bet against me, they were saying that the Dragunov fires a 7.62x51 and the 240G fires 7.62x54.

7.62 M43 is really .311 to .313
7.62 NATO is closer to .30
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

He should still make sure he's factually correct.

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

No breaks when you're a Navy vet and you screw up Navy stuff on national TV.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:21:34 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Technically correct? yes
But come on!

7.62 M43 is really .311 to .313
7.62 NATO is closer to .30

I didn't get that far into it, we were just sticking with the military designations. If I'd tried to explain about the Russians having issues converting their old rifles to the "new" cartridge way back when, their eyes would have just glazed over.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:22:36 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No breaks when you're a Navy vet and you screw up Navy stuff on national TV.

Yeah, that would be like me saying "People who do VBSS are gay."
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 6:25:38 PM EDT
[#16]
You know, for a guy who supposedly has all these badass credentials, he sure seems like a used car salesman trying desperately to make a sales pitch.  And he makes ALOT of technical mistakes that someone with said badass credentials shouldn't.

Check out this Youtube vid from his show on the Barrett .50 "Stealth Rifle".  WTF is a stealth rifle, may I ask?  But that's not the point.  

www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWJp14tkBlU

At the 1 minute mark he holds up a 5.56 round and says "This is the .223 round.  It is the standard round for most US military rifles."  So far so good.

Then he holds up a 7.62x39 round and says "THIS... is the .308. It is the standard round for the AK-47."  Again, relatively technically correct if you are going solely on bullet diameter I suppose, but who calls 7.62x39 a ".308"?

Then he starts hyperventilating.  "THIS... is the 50 caliber round.  This round--when fired--from the Barrett--M ONE OH SEVEN--flies at TWENTY SEVEN HUNDRED feet per second--and can take out an ARMORED PERSONNEL CARRIER!  Trust me--you don't wanna be in one of THOSE, when one of THESE, is flyin' around."

If the guy used to be a Navy Seal, why must he constantly sound like a 15-year-old airsoft fanboy who's mom just let him buy his first copy of "Jane's Infantry Weapons"?
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:30:40 PM EDT
[#17]
ahh sound's like baldy the wonder seal is at it again.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#18]
I can't lie...I'd rather be him than me. And if I was him, I wouldn't care what the guys on ARFCOM said.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 7:49:46 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I can't lie...I'd rather be him than me. And if I was him, I wouldn't care what the guys on ARFCOM said.

You want to go around in life as a bald, over dramatic, uninformed, non-entertaining, B-rate T.V. host on an educational channel? Shit, even I have higher ambitions.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 8:22:19 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You want to go around in life as a bald, over dramatic, uninformed, non-entertaining, B-rate T.V. host on an educational channel? Shit, even I have higher ambitions.

Well, yeah. From where I sit, the upside is really pretty good.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 8:44:54 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Technically correct? yes
But come on!

I would hope that someone who is supposed to be trained in foreign weapon systems as well as (obviously) US weapons systems knows the difference between the ammo that goes into them.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

It is a warship. Intended for battle. It is a television show, using the word "battleship" is like using the term "soldiers" in reference to all who don cammies and fight the good fight.

I dunno, but there is a lot of hate towards this guy, if he stood there in front of the camera spewing out info from Naval technical publications he wouldn't be on television too long.

I hope none of you guys are sitting in front of the boob tube taking notes for your own personal reference, were you hoping to get advice for your next tacticool gear purchase?

From FireControlman to the general audience - take the big middle finger. I have no doubt that behind the scenes this guy is just a former team member trying to make some money. If you started talking about his technical errors on the television, he would reply with something like, "Uh..hey you realize it's not my show right..and I don't write the script." Oh nevermind for fucks sake.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:11:14 PM EDT
[#23]
It's a TV show for the MASSES!
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 9:13:09 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ 10

How hard could it be for some flunky to look it up on the net?
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:31:43 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

+ 10

How hard could it be for some flunky to look it up on the net?

Depends on if they come to ARFCOM or not.
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:43:05 AM EDT
[#26]
No biggie.... I mean errors like this are made all the time.
Most newspapers 'round here still refer to police guns as "service revolvers" despite the fact that the last "service revolver" was replaced with the auto loader something like 20 yeras ago
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 3:47:13 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
It's a TV show for the MASSES!

+1, meaning the more basic a description of said Weapon/Round/Ship, the better for Jo average to take in, anyway whats wrong with baldys?!!
Link Posted: 6/18/2007 10:41:37 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Quoted:
It is a warship. Intended for battle. It is a television show, using the word "battleship" is like using the term "soldiers" in reference to all who don cammies and fight the good fight

It's more analogous to referring to all infantry soldiers as "Special Forces" if they are engaged in some kind of special operation like Panama or Grenada.   It would be equally incorrect to refer to Marines or members of the 82nd airborne as "Special Forces" just because they are Marines or parachutists.

Battleship is, and pretty much always been a specialized term to refer to a specific type of combat vessel.  It has never had a generic useage to refer to combat ships in general.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top