Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2007 1:29:12 PM EDT
I do not recall how I stumbled upon it, but the following is a video that I have utilized for introducing students to one of the most important lessons from a unit on World War II that I designed.  They are basically asked "would you have obeyed or actively resisted the Nazi regime?" if they were Germans during WW2.  The end of the lesson is a discussion on "could this happen to us?"  The 2nd Amendment gets a big plug.  

As I predicted, the gung-ho teens usually claim they'd kick ass and take names.

Au contraire, big boy.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqPLEMBf5DE

Anyway, just thought I'd share.  I have to submit the whole unit for evaluation and remembered the video.  Thought people might dig it.

Needless to say, the kids are unusually quiet when its over.  (I stop it at 3:30, fighting scenes are counterproductive to the point of the lesson.)

- BG

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:00:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Well... I thought it was interesting at least.

- BG
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:12:32 PM EDT
[#2]
OST
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:28:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Lies, all lies!

The Nazi's liked puppies, long walks on the beach, picnics in the park, and beani babies.

^sarcasm^

Disturbing video, would've probably been better with out "movie" footage. Should've just used stills and actual film only.
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 4:29:41 PM EDT
[#4]
I like it, kids need more of this and less Paris Hilton stuff. Its sad that they can ignore the past
Link Posted: 6/17/2007 5:51:58 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Lies, all lies!

The Nazi's liked puppies, long walks on the beach, picnics in the park, and beani babies.

^sarcasm^

Disturbing video, would've probably been better with out "movie" footage. Should've just used stills and actual film only.

Most of it was movie stuff, which made it perfect for the classroom.

If parents complain about me showing snuff films, I calmly explain that it was all simply dramatizations of historical events.  I stop it at 3:30 when the "real" stuff comes on.

With the lights off and it projected onto a white screen with a digital projector, it certainly grabs their attention.   Haven't had anyone break down yet.

- BG
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top