Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 6/15/2007 10:47:43 AM EDT
I've been waking up at night with this instant cramp in my lower legs (on back of leg, below the knee). It feels like the muscle has twisted itself, and hurts like a mofo. It seems to alternate between my left and right leg; and sometimes I will get two or three in a row before I fall back asleep. It stops after a minute or two if I stretch my leg out.

I've figured it is happening for one of these reasons:

1. Growth pains. I'm 19, but I'm a late bloomer so to speak and still growing (5'11'' 158 lbs). I guess it could be this, but I don't think it is likely because of #2.

2. I recently started eating a bit healthier; as in drinking nothing but water, no snack type foods (as in unhealthy snacks) and no junk food. Here's a sample of my daily diet (yesterday's example) :

Breakfast: Banana and cereal

SNack: Granola/power bar

Lunch: 6'' Turkey sub from subway

snack: carrots

dinner: chicken and corn.

Could my diet be causing it?

Any help is appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:03:38 AM EDT
[#1]
add a multivitamin and get more fat in your diet.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:04:14 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
You don't have a weight problem, so pig out. Your body can handle it. You are still growing & need fuel, not some foofoo diet.

I eat a lot when I eat, I'm just eating healthier. Ate a ton of cereal in the morning and 3-4 big pieces of chicken at home and a huge bowl of corn.

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:04:32 AM EDT
[#3]
That can be caused by low potassium, but that shouldn't be an issue since you eat bananas.

Do you get much exercise?  I get those when I don't walk enough.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#4]
im gonna go over to a medical forum and ask why my ar15 doesnt like wolf ammo, or maybe i might surf by martha stewarts forum and ask her about why glocks kaboom
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
im gonna go over to a medical forum and ask why my ar15 doesnt like wolf ammo, or maybe i might surf by martha stewarts forum and ask her about why glocks kaboom

General Discussion
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:09:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Calf muscle cramp?

does pulling you big toe up help?  Yes I'm serious.

I have had calf muscle cramps in the past.  stretching the calf during the cramp helped.  but what really helped was raising my big toe.  In my case it was caused by some tendon in my foot associated with my arch being stretched.  To stop them from happening to me I have doctor made arch supports and am loosing weight.  Doesn't look like weight is an issue here but you may have high arches.  what type of shoes do you normally wear?  If you say sandals
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:10:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Look at your diet.  It doesn't appear as if you're getting any calcium.  That's where the muscle cramps are coming from.

I used to have them too, when I was your age.  They're growing pains.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:14:51 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Look at your diet.  It doesn't appear as if you're getting any calcium.  That's where the muscle cramps are coming from.

I used to have them too, when I was your age.  They're growing pains.

+1

When I was doing the Atkins diet I started getting some bad leg cramps.  I added a multi-vite and a calcium with magnesium and it went away the next day.

Drink enough water and it'll osmosis your ass - start pulling vitamines out and mess up your electorlytes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:15:36 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That can be caused by low potassium, but that shouldn't be an issue since you eat bananas.

Do you get much exercise?  I get those when I don't walk enough.

Yea, I forgot to mention that I work out a lot. I run M.W.F. and lift weights M.T.W.T.F.; cycle on saturday, and ride motocross on sunday.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:16:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Calf muscle cramp?

does pulling you big toe up help?  Yes I'm serious.

I have had calf muscle cramps in the past.  stretching the calf during the cramp helped.  but what really helped was raising my big toe.  In my case it was caused by some tendon in my foot associated with my arch being stretched.  To stop them from happening to me I have doctor made arch supports and am loosing weight.  Doesn't look like weight is an issue here but you may have high arches.  what type of shoes do you normally wear?  If you say sandals

I either wear Vans or a pair of 5.11 boots.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:18:17 AM EDT
[#11]
You're 19 and based on your height/weight, you have a relatively high metabolism, and yet you're eating a low-calorie diet (the diet you described is what 1600-1800 calories?)...Add some fat to your diet, keep up the exercise, add a multi-vitamin, and stretch before you sleep.  I was still growing when I was your age too, and I had some wicked leg cramps, particularly in the upper calf...stretch stretch stretch.

Either that or you have a blood clot and need to get off the birth control....I can't tell which from here.  ;)
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:19:30 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:22:25 AM EDT
[#13]
I think it is the first signs of 2nd puberty!!
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#14]
diabetes and/or

high blood pressure.

put your legs in a hot bath, that will help blood circulation.  also some alcohol will do wonders.

when you sleep, put your legs on top of a leg pillow.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:35:18 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
I've been waking up at night with this instant cramp in my lower legs (on back of leg, below the knee). It feels like the muscle has twisted itself, and hurts like a mofo. It seems to alternate between my left and right leg; and sometimes I will get two or three in a row before I fall back asleep. It stops after a minute or two if I stretch my leg out.

1. Growth pains. I'm 19, but I'm a late bloomer so to speak and still growing (5'11'' 158 lbs). I guess it could be this, but I don't think it is likely because of #2.

2. I recently started eating a bit healthier; as in drinking nothing but water, no snack type foods (as in unhealthy snacks) and no junk food. Here's a sample of my daily diet (yesterday's example) :

Any help is appreciated.

You aren't getting enough potassium. Your muscles relax as a result of repolarization stopping the action potential (the transmission). If you don't have enough potassium, you won't be able to always efficiently repolarize the neuron, so you'll get that sensation.

In short, consume more potassium.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Some mornings I wake up and my willy's gone hard

Is this normal

rigor mortis.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:40:15 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Easy Tiger - it is GD
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:41:17 AM EDT
[#18]
As has already been mentioned above, magnesium and potassium.

Don't know what else to offer.

T
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:43:57 AM EDT
[#19]
You have idiopathic (of unknown cause) nocturnal (occurring at night) leg cramps, a very common problem that studies have shown to affect up to 60% of the population at some point in their lives.

The likelihood that it is metabolically mediated, given a fairly decent diet in an otherwise healthy young adult is essentially zero.  It is much more likely to be a side effect of physical activity, or even sleeping position.

Try gentle stretching exercises before bed, and don't worry about it too much.

If it persists, you should go see an orthopedist who can evaluate the muscles and bones for anything going on.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 12:04:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Is this normal

This happend to a friend of my brother's step-cousin. The next day...dead!

Can I have your guns?

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 12:07:01 PM EDT
[#21]
Drink more water.  
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 12:17:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Same thing happened to a friend of mine....

wait for it.....

He died.

Dibs on your guns.

J/K
But seriously folks....

This is a simple fix and there is actually good advice in this thread.
1. Drink more water
2. Take a daily balanced vitamin (not some super pumped up 5000% vitamin that will beat the crap out of your kidneys).

This is a big one everyone overlooks. You need to stretch more. Nothing crazy, just doing some toe touches will do wonders.

Personally, I bet water and stretching fixes your cramps.  

ETA: My first page 2 ownage.....
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Drink more water.  

+1

Do you have any idea how much drinking water is enough for a 19y old with a reasonable lever of activity?  GOOGLE
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Drink more water.  

+1

Do you have any idea how much drinking water is enough for a 19y old with a reasonable lever of activity?  GOOGLE

I drink a ton; at least 7-8 16 oz. bottles a day.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Its cancer! same thing happened to me.. cramps then months later.. boom a big old lump..
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#26]
I used to get them too. Stretching and taking a daily Cal/Mag supplement worked for me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:30:42 PM EDT
[#27]
YOU I GOT A CRAMP!
Dr. ME YOUR SPERM COUNT IS TO HIGH , GET LAID or RUN OFF A BATCH BY HAND!

That will be $89.......Will that be cash or check?  
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:36:45 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
You have idiopathic (of unknown cause) nocturnal (occurring at night) leg cramps, a very common problem that studies have shown to affect up to 60% of the population at some point in their lives.

The likelihood that it is metabolically mediated, given a fairly decent diet in an otherwise healthy young adult is essentially zero.  It is much more likely to be a side effect of physical activity, or even sleeping position.

If it persists, you should go see an orthopedist who can evaluate the muscles and bones for anything going on.

You know fish you could have waited a few more pages while the guys messed with him more!

*ETA* I'd say I get your guns but since you're only 19 you can't have any really cool ones so you can give em to someone else, unless they're really cool, then I get em.  MmmKay?
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:38:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Could be the BioMechanics of your feet, it's possible that your feet pronate or roll inward
Take a look at your feet   Do you have high arches ? Is there a deep web between your big toe and second toe ?

Before going to bed take a couple minutes and stretch your calves
Stretch them in the Morning and during the day if possible

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#30]
Its potassium.

Get a ceral that is mostly Bran (wheat) it is high in potassium.

3.5oz of raisins has 1020mg of potassium.

Eat raisins or bannanas before bed and with breakfast stick to the cereal and bannana.

Dont go to vitamins. If you have to take vitamins, then something is wrong with your diet.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:49:43 PM EDT
[#31]
I get the bike when you croak.

J/K!
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 6:42:16 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

You know fish you could have waited a few more pages while the guys messed with him more!

*ETA* I'd say I get your guns but since you're only 19 you can't have any really cool ones so you can give em to someone else, unless they're really cool, then I get em.  MmmKay?

I'll post pics someday. AR's, Kimbers, Glocks, CZ, Mossberg, Ruger; I'm pretty well rounded

The AR's are cali legal. A goofy (but not uncomfortable) grip makes 'em legal. I don't like the collapsible stock, so I'd use a fixed anyway; and no flash hider, but I like it that way too---makes the rifle a little shorter (but still legal).  
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 5:49:39 AM EDT
[#33]
You should try cleaning out your system.

Take 2x the recommended amount of Super Colon Blow and let us know how it goes.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:08:02 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll post pics someday. AR's, Kimbers, Glocks, CZ, Mossberg, Ruger; I'm pretty well rounded

The AR's are cali legal. A goofy (but not uncomfortable) grip makes 'em legal. I don't like the collapsible stock, so I'd use a fixed anyway; and no flash hider, but I like it that way too---makes the rifle a little shorter (but still legal).  

eh, not too bad for a 19 year old.  Okay I'll take em.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:26:36 AM EDT
[#35]
I remember the days before the internet when people had enough common sense to go to a doctor and get checked out.

What would some of you do without the internet ?
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:36:42 AM EDT
[#36]

I think he's telling you to go kill a kitten, dude.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Any help is appreciated.

Hypokalemia, based on recent diet changes, specifically the water intake.

You admit to eating one bananna, and I have no idea what your regular potassium intake is. I have people who eat a bananna daily with persistent hypokalemia. Green leafy vegetables are a rich source. Also, over hydration can result in decreased sodium and potassium concentrations in your blood, leading to muscle cramps.  

You are out of the typical age range for "growth pains," and Osgood Schlatter typically affects the front of the legs beneath the knees.

Increase your potassium intake and decrease your water intake slightly and your symptoms should resolve.

Let me know when you're ready to send the $100 PayPal...
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 7:45:21 AM EDT
[#38]
First the disclaimer: I am not a doctor, nor do I play on on TV. Hell, I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I had those cramps just like you describe when I was your age. There were worst in the summer when we were having twice daily football practice.

As mentioned before, make sure you get enough potassium, magnesium and calcium in your diet. Also, try stretching before you go to bed.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:33:51 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
I remember the days before the internet when people had enough common sense to go to a doctor and get checked out.

What would some of you do without the internet ?

I don't go to the doctor unless I'm bleeding out of control or the bone is broken. No reason to go to a doctor for a leg cramp.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#40]
Stretch good before and AFTER you workout.

Drink plenty of water and gotorade/powerade.

Eat at least one banana in the afternoon as well.

It's nothing to worry about. It happened to me a lot when I was younger and exercising a lot.

Those cramps suck and are painful but no big thing.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 10:39:13 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Is this normal

I just tell my wife that it's her fault and that she is obligated to take care of it.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:07:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Drink more water.  

Exactly. Drink lots of water, before and after exercise. If your piss isn't clear, you're dehydrated. This used to happen to me until I started hydrating.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 11:37:17 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

General Discussion

thats right, think about that.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 12:33:51 PM EDT
[#44]
same thing happened to me, turned out to be lymes disease
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#45]
" Breakfast: Banana and cereal

Any help is appreciated
"

If that is a typical day - you may be lacking Calcium , and you need more Leafy Greens  too.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 12:59:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Happened to a friend of mine.

One day it got real painful, 3 days later.........dead.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 1:07:22 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Any help is appreciated
"

If that is a typical day - you may be lacking Calcium , and you need more Leafy Greens  too.

doesn't that imply milk?  and there for calcium?

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 1:16:28 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Any help is appreciated
"

doesn't that imply milk?  and there for calcium?

No, I eat it dry in my truck before classes start. I'm lactose intolerant, though; so if I drink milk I shit my brains out.

Link Posted: 6/16/2007 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Cramps happen when you are active.  They hurt like a motherfucker, but in 10 years you'll probably stop getting them.
Link Posted: 6/16/2007 1:53:19 PM EDT
[#50]
I call them "Charley Horse's".
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top