Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2007 10:22:38 AM EDT
I was thinking the other night about all various shooting sports/disciplines/pursuits for rilfe, pistol and shotgun and what the completely stocked gun safe would have for the ultimate shooter (not collector). Most of my experience is hunting and plinking.  Benchrest rifle? All the ISPCTAblah blah pistol stuff? Cowboy action shooting?  Metallic silhouette? All those run together for me!

Help me build a good refrence list and a couple of suggestions for a good firearm for each discipline.  +1 for hotlinks, too. I would love to build a good list of the shooting sports, good represenative firearms for each, and links to the best websites.

For example, at a minimum.

Sporting clays:  Beretta Teknys Gold Sporting 12g shotgun

Dangerous Game (Africa): Winchester Model 70 CRF in 375 H&H or Ruger Safari Magnum rifle in .375 H&H or 416 Rigby

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 10:28:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Werewolf Hunting:  Model 96 Swedish Mauser, 6.5 x 55, with solid silver bullets.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 10:30:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Werewolf Hunting:  Model 96 Swedish Mauser, 6.5 x 55, with solid silver bullets.

Great.  Here come the zombie and plasma rifle suggestions.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 10:31:07 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I was thinking the other night about all various shooting sports/disciplines/pursuits for rilfe, pistol and shotgun and what the completely stocked gun safe would have for the ultimate shooter (not collector). Most of my experience is hunting and plinking.  Benchrest rifle? All the ISPCTAblah blah pistol stuff? Cowboy action shooting?  Metallic silhouette? All those run together for me!

Help me build a good refrence list and a couple of suggestions for a good firearm for each discipline.  +1 for hotlinks, too.

For example, at a minimum.

Sporting clays:  Beretta Teknys Gold Sporting 12g shotgun

Dangerous Game (Africa): Winchester Model 70 CRF in 375 H&H or Ruger Safari Magnum rifle in .375 H&H or 416 Rigby

Largely break down to: NON-NRA and NRA.

AR-15 rifles and other battle rifles are used in 3gun (www.uspsa.com) and Multi-gun (non USPSA - search on MGM Ironman for instance).

SASS matches use rifles too - though they are antiques or replicas fired at steel targets with lead-only bullets.

Pistol includes USPSA ("IPSC" in US) IDPA (concealed carry sport) GSSF (glock only) and a few smaller sports like steel challende, American Handgunner, etc.

None are run by the NRA at all.

The NRA sports are sort of dying off. Bianchi Cup pistol championship gets smaller every year. PPC bans ALL civilians and is shot one-handed. Same with NRA bullseye - its one hand only with 1911 red-dot sight specials (not practical at all).  

There is NRA Service Rifle.  However, the rifles in actual service are banned from competition: No M-4s, no dot sights, etc (seen the pictures from Iraq lately? Notice the sights they are using?  - all banned by NRA).

Anyway, I am sure others will chime in & post links. I'm glad that the NRA is in our corner on gun control. I don't think much of their "competition department."
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

that is what I am looking for
thanks

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 10:39:32 AM EDT
[#5]
If you want to learn to shoot a rifle really well, NRA Highpower Rifle is a good game.
Check nationalmatch.us.  

There are different classifications, some with optics but most are oriented toward shooting a rifle the right way--with iron sights.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 10:42:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Types of Archery Competitions (A few):

FITA Round
Canadian 900
Indoor Rounds
FITA I
FITA II
3D
Field
J.O.P Rounds

For these, I would use a Browning 1919a4 in 30/06
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 12:35:28 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the deal with BR and silhoutte?

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 3:19:44 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
What is the deal with BR and silhoutte?

There is a benrest group at my club (Thurmont MD) - nice guys and WAY into reloading & accuracy. They have "light" gun classes for regular precision rifles but some of their stuff in heavy classes no longer resemble firearms.

Silhouette is cool when its shot with steel targets. A Baltimore area club (AGC) got too paranoid about steel & switched to paper targets - which sort of makes it pointless IMHO.

Check out www.sportshooter.com
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:48:32 PM EDT
[#9]
bump for the night crew
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 7:57:37 PM EDT
[#10]
IDPA: Mainly 1911's, Glocks, and a few others mixed in. Favors practical over "gaming", but in the end is a game.

IPSC/USPSA: Double stack 1911's, polymer framed guns, etc. Real "run 'n gun".

Steel Challenge: Pure shooting speed. Five steel plates arranged anywhere from 7-about 20 yards. Draw and clear them as fast as you can. 8 stages, 39 strings of fire (5 strings in 7 stages, 4 in the "outer limits" stage). Your time is your best 4/5 and your one 3/4 put together (a total of 31 strings count towards score). Everything from box stock Glocks to custom race guns have classes to shoot.

3-Gun: Multi-gun version of USPSA.

Tactical Rifle: Normally hot at longer ranges; mostly AR's, FAL's, M1A's, and a few bolt actions sprinkled in. Emphasizes carrying a full load of gear and practical weapons.

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 8:00:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Service rifle AR15
Highpower rifle - ar15 match or bolt gun

SRM
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top