Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/7/2001 7:48:25 PM EDT
[urlhttp://dailynews.yahoo.com/htx/nm/20011007/ts/attack_nato_awacs_dc_1.html[/url]

Sunday October 7 8:23 AM ET

NATO to Deploy AWACS Aircraft in U.S.
BRUSSELS (Reuters) - NATO will soon deploy AWACS surveillance aircraft for anti-terrorist operations in the United States in response to the attacks on New York and Washington, NATO officials said Sunday.

NATO officials said the United States had asked Friday for the AWACS to be deployed.

``The planes will be deployed quite soon,'' a NATO official said. ``They will be deployed in the United States in support of anti-terrorist operations.''

NATO officials declined to say why the United States had asked for the AWACS to be deployed there, or whether they would be used to free up U.S. aircraft for deployment in other regions.

The United States itself has a fleet of 33 AWACS planes, 28 of which are stationed at an airbase in Oklahoma.

All that is needed before the AWACS are deployed is final approval by national representatives at NATO headquarters in Brussels and military advice, NATO officials said.

NATO allies agreed Thursday to provide the United States with a complete eight-point list of assistance it had requested, including the use of some of its fleet of 17 modified Boeing 747 AWACS airborne surveillance and control aircraft, based in Geilenkirchen, Germany.

A NATO representative would not say whether the planes would be flown from Geilenkirchen or from another location.

The deployment grows out of the decision ``to provide a NATO presence and demonstrate resolve,'' an official NATO statement said Thursday.

NATO also used AWACS in Bosnia and the Balkans to assist in air operations.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:14:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Just an FYI NATO operating in the U.S. do not have to follow the constition. My guess is that these planes is a way around the 4th amendment. Gotta love the Feds. This is the only reason I can come up with for the U.S. to use NATO planes here so planes here can go to Afganistan.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:18:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Just an FYI NATO operating in the U.S. do not have to follow the constition. My guess is that these planes is a way around the 4th amendment. Gotta love the Feds. This is the only reason I can come up with for the U.S. to use NATO planes here so planes here can go to Afganistan.
View Quote

First off my BS meter just exploded when I read your first post. Secondly AWACS are radar and command and control craft. What exactly are you doing that will be detectable by radar?? That must be one kick-butt RC plane...

Back away from the computer........ the tin foil beanie just slipped off if you get it quick no one needs to know what happened [bounce]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 4:55:49 PM EDT
[#4]

First off my BS meter just exploded when I read your first post. Secondly AWACS are radar and command and control craft. What exactly are you doing that will be detectable by radar?? That must be one kick-butt RC plane...

Back away from the computer........ the tin foil beanie just slipped off if you get it quick no one needs to know what happened [bounce]
View Quote

Hey, that's a great idea. I think I'll just line my M9 helmet with aluminum foil. Should keep those pesky conspirators out of my head...

Tachyon
[heavy]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:47:29 PM EDT
[#5]
First off they will be deployed just read the statement issued by th sec-gen of NATO on the NATO website. Second they are also survailance aircraft capable of intercepting radio cel and other type traffic (straight from the Boeing website) I just think way to many people even here are confusing patriotism with blind faith in the Government.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 5:59:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have no problem with them flying overhead. In fact, if they need a place to spend the night, I'm sure they will find my guest room very comfortable. I don't think there is any problem with foreign troops flying over U.S. airspace with surveillance equipment. Seems like a dandy idea. Hell, if the fact that I have a weapon in my house bothers them, I will be glad to turn it in also. Whatever the World Federation International Democratic Globalist Peace Keeping Forces need to keep me safe at night, I'm all about that!

Sorry if my tinfoil beanie is showing...but F*&% that!

roy d.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:03:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Ditto what Roy D said!
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#8]
No need to worry folks. This time it's just a dry run.  A training event.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:21:25 PM EDT
[#9]
NEWS FLASH!
The NATO AWACS aircraft are owned and operated by......THE USA!!
I don't give a rats ass if some other second world country has thrown a couple of dollars into the kitty, the USA owns them.
You notice that there will be no British, French or Saudi AWACS either.
You better believe that NATO AWACS have been flying missions "somewhere" near the USA for a while.
I have no problems with a NATO AWACS flying in the USA for the defense of the USA as long as the aircraft and mission commanders are Americans.
There is no such thing as a 747 AWACS either.
[img]http://www.e3a.nato.int/images/gbase.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 10/9/2001 2:25:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Wow. First foreign Govt. do have AWACS as a matter of fact according to NATO US AWACS will stop flying over Bosnia also and the French will start over Bosnia with their AWACS and there Crews. To believe that only the US has AWACS when NATO says otherwise as well as Boeing is a little nieve. And true there are no 747 AWACS only 707 and 767 I beileve.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 2:53:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Actually, here in NH on 9/15/01, the first Sunday after the attack, we had a fly-in and picnic at my R/C club field. All non-IFR flights were still grounded and everything in the air had to file a flight plan, but we figured we could still fly R/C without a problem.

Everything was routine until the mass landing event. About 10-12 planes went up, and the first one on the ground after the buzzer wins, we put up the planes, and the event was over within a few minutes. About 5 minutes after the event, some of us were on the runway picking up debris from the inevitable collisions when a Blackhawk suddenly came over the trees, buzzed the field, then disappeared in the direction of the Air National Guard base about 20 miles away. All I can figure is that that many R/C planes in the air over one spot created enough of a radar return to cause some alarm over at the ANG base.
Link Posted: 10/9/2001 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Where in the fuck do you read that I said that no one other than the USA has AWACS?
I said that the NATO AWACS might be "owned" by NATO, but you better believe that the USA made more payments than the rest of the countries involved with NATO.
If you bothered to read (whatta concept) my post you would have then understood what I had said: There will be no French, British or Saudi AWACS overflying the USA.
Time for you to use the spell checker that GoatBoy provided.

Quoted:
Wow. First foreign Govt. do have AWACS as a matter of fact according to NATO US AWACS will stop flying over Bosnia also and the French will start over Bosnia with their AWACS and there Crews. To believe that only the US has AWACS when NATO says otherwise as well as Boeing is a little nieve. And true there are no 747 AWACS only 707 and 767 I beileve.
View Quote
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top