Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2001 8:51:05 AM EDT
Kinda slow in the scope forum so I'm posting here [:)] does anyone have anything good or bad to say about this scope? Is it really cheaply made or the tough "MIL.SPEC" stuff their saying. Nice looking scope, thinking about the 16x or 20x.
Thanks S_S             [sniper]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:22:11 AM EDT
[#1]
I wouldn't worry about the toughness of these scopes.  I have a cheap tasco and it has been knocked around quite a bit w/o any trouble.

The main difference will be in clarity and brightness.  Look through one of these then through a high dollar scope and you will see what I mean.  If you can live with the difference, buy the tasco and enjoy it. [:)]

You probably don't need a scope that powerful though unless you are going after varmints. You lose a lot of your field of view.  Most military sniper scopes are about 6x.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:46:56 AM EDT
[#3]
I had a Custom Shoppe 12-60X56mm in a 30mm tube (I'm sure many of you remember the "Hubble" on my carry handle).  Albeit inappropriate for the weapon, it was admirable for a $350 scope.  Field of view was good, Eye relief was average, Clarity was good, and Brightness was so-so.  I've seen the Super Snipers, and they are a bit better than the CS's because of the fixed power (and thus lesser weight, better eye relief, and more durability).  For the price, I give the CS a 7 out of 10, and the Super Snipers a 7.5/10 .
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:22:37 AM EDT
[#4]
The quality of the SS series is head and shoulders above any other scope in the Tasco line. In fact they are clearer and brighter (and the instructors at Storm Mountain say tougher) than any of the overpriced Springfield Armory glass I've tried. I use an SS10x42 on my backup long range rifle, a Remington VS .308.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:27:07 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Super Sniper 16x 30mm, it is very well made for such an inexpensive scope. It almost compares to my Leupold Long Range Tactical. I got the S.S. with the older style paralax adjust on the rear. Some people have reported problems with the center mounted paralax system. I've heard that it can be damaged just by clamping the scope rings to close to the dials.

With the 16x, I don't need a spotting scope to check my groups.

This is where I bought mine. They have pretty good prices. Shop around.

[url]http://www.swfa.com/riflescopes/tasco/index.html[/url]

p.s. remember that the Leupold 40mm Anti Reflection Device won't work on the 42mm SS Obj lens even though it is listed next to it. The 42mm Combination ARD/scope covers from Butler Creek will work very well.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a SS 10x42 w/the 30mm tube and side Para adjust. I use it on my Barrett 99 and after about two hundred rounds so far there has been zero problems. It may be sold as a Tasco, but the way I hear it is that Tasco contracts out to other makers for certain scope and just puts their name on for re-sale. This is way some models suck ass and other's like the SS kick it. I have been very happy with mine.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:19:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I've been shooting since I could hold a gun.

My first scope was a Leupold.

THe only people I ever seem to encounter who rave about Tasco's are those who just don't know any better.

I have a Tasco on a 10/22 of mine. I have a Tasco on an old .270 of mine. Functionial- cheap- but that's about it.

The SS's are nice- a guy at my range has one on his 300WM. Still though. I ain't buying one any time soon. Like looking through a glass of murky water to anyone who was raised on Leupolds.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:32:27 PM EDT
[#8]
My primary rifle uses a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40LR M3 Mildot. It's a great scope and will give me about 15 minutes more useable light at dawn or dusk than the Tasco SS on my backup rifle. Does that make the Leupold worth more than double the price of the Tasco SS? To me, yes, but the Tasco SS is still the best scope available for less than $650.00 or so suggested retail.

I wouldn't buy any other scope in the Tasco line, but the $299.00 SS has proven itself a solid choice to many people who know what makes a good scope.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 3:51:32 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one of the older (rear focus) SS10x42M's and I just have to say, this thing can take one HELL of a beating.  This thing is on my coyote rifle, and has been dropped, frozen, cooked (lived in wester Nebraska i.e. 100+ summers, -20 winters, blowing dust, sleet, etc).  The scope has an etched reticle, which is supposed to be the reason for its durability -- no crosshair wires to break.  Only problem w/ the older ones(<98) is that the clicks get kinda mushy.  Newer ones have a different 0-ring system, and are supposed to be even better.  As for clarity-- I have two Leupold LR side-focus scopes, a 6.5-20 and a 8.5-25, and this thing is just as good for me.  Some people might have more discerning eyes, but I think it's a matter of _wanting_ to see better to justify the money spent.

nuk
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:31:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks to all who posted. [beer]
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 9:14:56 AM EDT
[#11]
Please refer to the attached link for a review on the SS

http://www.snipercountry.com/InReviews/TascoSS_Part1.html

After killing a Simmons AETEC I installed a TASCO SS on my M1A1.  After several hundred rounds I have not experienced any problems.

Pluses:
The Mildot is great for range finding.
Optics are very clear and crisp. Quite comparable with my Leopold Vari-III.
The scope is manufactured in Japan.  
The overall construction is very good.
Minus: Side adjust model has had some quality problems (mine is older, rear adjust)
"Clicks" are mushy. is hard to count clicks.
Adjustment knobs can be re-zeroed but unless Loctite is used they will loosen.

Mildot card are usually used with 10X magnification. Higher magnification is too complicated for my feeble brain.

Current scope ownership, TASCO SS (1), Bausch and Lomb 4200 (1), Leopold (3), Bushnell Scopechief (old Japanese 1) Simmons AETEC (1, one too many) Bushnell .22 (2)  

Regards

ACK
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 11:50:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Current scope ownership, TASCO SS (1), Bausch and Lomb 4200 (1), Leopold (3), Bushnell Scopechief (old Japanese 1) Simmons AETEC (1, one too many) Bushnell .22 (2)  
View Quote

ACK, how do you like your Scopechief and B&L 4200?  I have a B&L 4200 8-32 on my flattop AR and am using an older Scopechief 4x on my Century FAL.

I bought the Scopechief on recommendations that it was a good scope for the money and generally better than the rest of the Bushnell line.

The B&L is new but so far it's been good.  I wish it weren't so looooooong, though.

Link Posted: 10/8/2001 12:03:51 PM EDT
[#13]
ACK
A mil is mil no matter what magnification it at.  The math will work out the same for a mil subtended by a 4x, 10x or 14 x scope.  The problem arises with variable power scopes; their reticles only really measure mils at one setting.  If you have a fixed power scope and it actually measures in mils you will not have a problem using the mil relation formula, but just remember your accuracy will be about 10% of the range to target.
Link Posted: 10/8/2001 6:36:47 PM EDT
[#14]
BTT
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top