Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 10/7/2001 5:29:54 AM EDT
Well, winter is coming so the majority of my range time here on Long Island will be indoors for the next few months. I'm also racking up incredible amounts of OVERTIME (just like every other cop in NYC is right now) because of the Word Trade Center/"Ground Zero" detail. I'll actually have some extra $$$ available(after taxes[BD][>Q][xx(])

I never had a .45 before. NYPD only authorizes 9mm so I won't have to worry about things like concealment...strictly for target shooting at the range. Any suggestions?[pistol]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:45:54 AM EDT
[#1]
of the several i have owned/ worked on i think Kimber is the best with Springfield a close second
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 5:50:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Personally, I'm kinda fond of my Kimber. [:D]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:00:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Well then I'll third it Kimber. Worked great out of the box and even better when I had Nelson Ford do a little turning.
Go for the Kimber.

[8D][8D]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:11:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Very pleased with my new Dan Wesson Pointman.
They are set up for IDPA IPSC.
Several models to choose from,
From the entry level "Minor" to the full bull "Major & 7 ".
Combat Handguns had a very favorable write up.

I have received two extensive well written letters directly from Bob Silva, the New pres of NYI, current owners of DW.

As they are in  Norwich, NY you should be able to talk to them pretty easily.
(Not sure how far from you they are.)

I generally like to spend my $$ Locally and put NYI\DW in a class along with Co.'s like Cavalry Arms.
Up and coming and willing to go the extra mile for the customer.
Plus they have a [b]5[/b] year warranty!!!

[url]www.danwessonfirearms.com/[/url]

Del (had to be different) marksman[:)]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:12:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I got a Springfield Armory Champion,its comparable in size to the Colt commander.I bought the Loaded package,consisting of beaver tail grip safety,Night sights,loaded chamber indicator,adjustable trigger....I could'nt ask for better out of the box performance,my second time out on the range with it was qualification day and I aced it.At the end of my 50 rounds the whole center was gone from my target.The Kimbers are nice but for the money,its hard to beat the Springfield Armory.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:14:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Personally, I'm kinda fond of my Kimber. [:D]
View Quote

I know, I know....this is all your fault by the way. [pistol]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:15:23 AM EDT
[#7]
You just can't go wrong with a Kimber. I personnaly like them and own one.  Another nice 1911 style pistol is a Para-Ordnance although not as accurate out of the box as a Kimber they are nice if you have Large D*ck Beaters Like I do.  [rocket]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:30:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:32:55 AM EDT
[#9]
kimber supermatch. nothing equals it!

[:)]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Hi Wave, I hope you your family, and the other FDNY and NYPD are doing well. It might sound crazy , but see if you can find a Colt Series 70, 1911, they are the best. I have had mine  for 25 years, it hasnever let me down. It is a good  one to have  customed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:46:50 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:48:52 AM EDT
[#12]
[b]Kimber or Springfield[/b]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:49:54 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 6:50:41 AM EDT
[#14]
RUN! Do not walk to your local FFL and take a look at the new Kimber Eclipse! My buddy had to pry one out of my hand yesterday at the gun show. I would trade my best womanz for one! I also have a very old SER #3XXX Kimber Custom Classic that I wouldnt take $1000 for. Shoots like a dream!
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:07:25 AM EDT
[#15]
For rangework, I'd get the Kimber fullsize CDP.  I shot my neighbors gun yesterday with groups  A LOT better at 25yds than my SA milspec.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:18:16 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have owned many, what price range are you looking for??

Semper Fi
USMC03
View Quote

Figure, my budget realistically allows up to $850.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:33:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Dan Wessons come with a 5 year warranty.
What does Kimber and SA have?

1 year?

Shop is virtually around the corner from YOU.

How many of you SA/Kimber owners can say that you have received non formletters direct from the Company President?

You would be foolish to rule them out.
But it is your $$ to spend as you please.

Not trying to incite or flame,
everyone thinks they have the best there is.
Brand loyalty is wonderfull but it only takes you so far.

Whichever you choose,
I hope that you don't end up disapointed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#18]
Or, you could just spend TWO THOUSAND DOLLARS and buy a Wilson Combat!! [:O]

Though I think a Kimber is a sure-fire bet, and still affordable.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:35:12 AM EDT
[#19]
They are called a Glock 30.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:43:16 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They are called a Glock 30.
View Quote

Hey... I love my Glock 26 (and all Glocks) but I want something classic.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 7:47:22 AM EDT
[#21]
[b]Del[/b], I've been intrigued with the Dan Wesson 1911 since they were first introduced. But you are the first person I have actually "talked to" that owns one.
What is the price on them compared to the others? Also, it is obvious you are impressed with yours, but tell us how well it runs, over all fit and finish, etc..

Waverunner, thank you by the way and I hope you don't think this is thread drift since it is asking about one of the .45's mentioned.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:06:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
RUN! Do not walk to your local FFL and take a look at the new Kimber Eclipse! My buddy had to pry one out of my hand yesterday at the gun show. I would trade my best womanz for one! I also have a very old SER #3XXX Kimber Custom Classic that I wouldnt take $1000 for. Shoots like a dream!
View Quote

Eclipse series??? Tell me more man...
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:10:39 AM EDT
[#23]
I just picked up my first 1911 (Kimber Pro Eclipse). Taking to the range on Monday, but gotta say that this critter is sure pleasing to the eye and hopefully just as pleasing if not more at the range. Will let ya know.......
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#24]
I'm considering the Kimber Polymer Stainless...I like the idea of 14 round mags, the Kimber Ultra Ten II, and Ultra CDP.

Besides Don R, anyone have any experience with these particular models?
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:12:30 AM EDT
[#25]
No one I know has a Cav15.
That doesn't effect the Quality 1 bit.
Now lot's of people have them.
Same goes for RRA.

Fit and finish were above that of a virtually identical Kimber sitting in the display.
Kimber was $850
DW Minor was $425 Majors are around $750
Side by side the Kimber was loose and rattled,
DW wasn't,didn't.
Kimber rear sight dropped off on to the counter,
Safety did not engage properly as it was also loose.

I buy for Quality Control and Value not name.

I also bought a new Glock 30 the day prior.
Cost for both was only a hundred more
than just the Kimber alone.

After the second round out of the DW I have had no failures of any type.

You spends your $$ you takes your chances.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:13:18 AM EDT
[#26]
in the tradtion of people saying crap like get a 45 in a what "9mm should i buy?" thread

get a 9mm 1911 [:D]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:14:26 AM EDT
[#27]
I see now that you do have something in mind, I'll leave be.

Del
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#28]
I am also looking for my first 1911 - I've looked at the kimbers, but I really want something with a more "classic" look.  Nice blued finish, no front slide serrations, etc.  The only kimber's with no front slide serrations are the compact models, which I'm not interested in (once again, want the "classic"), and the only springfields I can find w/o the serrations are the mil-spec model and the professional model.  How the mil-spec is parked, and the professional is teflon coated (and MSRP is $2000+...). Anyone have any other mid-range suggestions?

Thanks,
Rocko
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#29]
Own a goverment model myself, love the gun but lacks the inherent accuracy.  Been drooling over Kimbers for a couple of years now but have always had another gun I want (like my first AR).  While I dream of Kimbers, I can say nothing bad about anything Springfield Armory makes.  Flip a coin.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:44:55 AM EDT
[#30]
[bounce]  Kimber  [bounce]  Kimber  [bounce]  Kimber  [bounce]  Kimber  [bounce]  Kimber  [bounce]  Kimber  [bounce]  Kimber  [bounce]  Kimber  [bounce]  Kimber  [bounce]  Kimber
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:54:29 AM EDT
[#31]
Waverunner,

I have a Kimber Polymer Gold Match Stainless, and have had serious problems with it.

First of all, it has a serious jamming problem.  It is my least reliable firearm.  I only use quaility FMJ ammo in it and still have lots of problems.  While at Thunder Ranch, by ambi-safety broke and fell off!  

The mags are very expensive, (especially the 15 rounders).  Also, the grip is too wide for most shooters.

I spoke to a Kimber representative, and got nothing accomplished.  This is the worst $1300 I have ever spent (gun + mags).  I am just trying to save you from the same trouble.

Long story short, don't buy this model.

Take a look at the Thunder Ranch special.  It is the best 1911 I have ever shot.

I do like single stack Kimbers by the way.

Live Free

Link Posted: 10/7/2001 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Sorry Waverunner, just 1 more.

[img]wsphotofews.excite.com/028/As/Ed/gC/fd56271.jpg[/img]

Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Wave, did I mention that I kinda like Kimber???
[pistol]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:00:54 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Got a website address for Dan Wesson?
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:01:42 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Waverunner,

I have a Kimber Polymer Gold Match Stainless, and have had serious problems with it.

First of all, it has a serious jamming problem.  It is my least reliable firearm.  I only use quaility FMJ ammo in it and still have lots of problems.  While at Thunder Ranch, by ambi-safety broke and fell off!  

The mags are very expensive, (especially the 15 rounders).  Also, the grip is too wide for most shooters.

I spoke to a Kimber representative, and got nothing accomplished.  This is the worst $1300 I have ever spent (gun + mags).  I am just trying to save you from the same trouble.

Long story short, don't buy this model.

Take a look at the Thunder Ranch special.  It is the best 1911 I have ever shot.

I do like single stack Kimbers by the way.

Live Free

View Quote

Thanks, your honest opinion is noted
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:06:44 AM EDT
[#36]
Wave,

I have the big brother of Don's Ultra CDP, the Pro-CDP and it has been very reliable and takes on any kind of ammo.

For your budget, you sure do have a lot of choices. choose wisely!!!!
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:13:11 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Wave, did I mention that I kinda like Kimber???
[pistol]
View Quote

Really???
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 9:34:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm considering the Kimber Polymer Stainless...I like the idea of 14 round mags, the Kimber Ultra Ten II, and Ultra CDP.

Besides Don R, anyone have any experience with these particular models?
View Quote

The Kimber Ultra Ten II is not available yet so I can't comment.

Have tried the Ultra CDP & it shoots great but it's my opinion that the same size in the Stainless shoots just as well for less money.

I've also tried the Kimber Stainless Classic I model with adjustable sights.  Can't go wrong with this one...or the Ultra CDP.

However, for range use only, you may want to consider a full size with adjustable sites.  Also, the stainless is all steel while the CDP has an aluminum frame....may get more life span out of the all steel.  If you are not worried about concealment, I would suggest a full size, all steel...tackdriver!

Kimber is an excellent choice.

Wilson Combat is a better choice but double the price.  I've found they shoot about the same but the WC is "smoother" & has a higher hand grip & bore sight...kinda like the Glock.  The workmanship is outstanding but for around $2K it ought to be!

Good luck on your first 1911 purchase...I predict it will be a KIMBER.

[b][url]http://www.kimberamerica.com[/url][/b]

btw, the Eclipse is an EXCELLENT firearm...high accuracy doubled with outstanding cosmetics.  The fit & function are flawless...its a bit more than $850.00 though.

Link Posted: 10/7/2001 10:09:13 AM EDT
[#39]
Like some people have said, Kimber or Springfield.  I never had or have fired a Kimber, but I do have a Springfield, the Stainless Loaded model.  It's as accurate as I am, and has NEVER jammed on me!  

I'm a SPRINGFIELD fan all the way
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#40]
I put money down on a Kimber Custom Eclipse II from Bernie's Sports Center about two months ago(Maria hadn't even opened the plastic blue box to check the ser.# yet).  I was waiting on some 30-60 day late contract checks to come in so I couldn't walk out with it that day.  Well, some of the checks came in and the Kimber and a piece of Blackhawk gear made it's way home with me two weeks back.  I flushed the slide, frame and field stripped small parts with Simple Green using a baby's tooth brush.  The black oxide on the small parts faded and let the SS bleed through.  The bore had thinner than hair curly-cues "hanging" from the bore walls(they didn't show up till I used MP7).  The land and grooves are scored and all-hell had broken loose just in front of the chamber.  I turned it back in to Bernie to ship out to KMI, yesterday(it's a 107 mile round trip).  Dennis, from the KMI Custom Shop, said they'll make it right.  
INTERROGATIVE: How do you make something as good as new when it wasn't as good as new when it was brand new?

Dave S

Link Posted: 10/7/2001 12:40:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:31:54 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Got a website address for Dan Wesson?
View Quote

Check Page one

Del
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:38:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Wave,
 Remember a phone call you received about 0630 one morning about three weeks ago?  From Houston?
 What question did you ask me before we hung up?
 And what was my answer?
[b]KIMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/b]
 Need we say more?

I own a Custom Stainless with Wilson Mags.  Only had one or two hiccups in it but has done wonderfull!

[b][i][u]KIMBER[/b][/i][/u]
                [bounce]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Wanted to jump in here and let you know of my impending Dan Wesson purchase.  I know Delmarksman made a statement about the proximity of DW to Waverunner, but Norwich would be a 5+ hr drive from long island.

I have now met Bob Serva, he shoots at my local range, he is a friendly guy and is going out of his way to make sure his customers are happy.  I have to admit Kimbers are wonderful, but for me I like the fact that DW is a company that is trying to carve a niche, because to do so, they go that extra mile to ensure customer satisfaction.

Dan Wesson revolvers are very well respected and there is no reason to think they won't continue that tradition with their 1911s.  They have already won the NYS IDPA championship and are slowly winning people over.  

I am new to 1911s, and I can't really say what is a "better" gun, but I think that the DW is as high quality as any of the big boys out there.  I will be picking up my pistol this week and will post a few pics as well as a report after I take it out.  

Feel free to e-mail me if you want specifics, but I have seen the DW plant and know the reputation that DW has here locally.

[url]www.danwessonfirearms.com[/url]
[url]www.tacticaldefense.org[/url]

CS
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:43:23 PM EDT
[#45]
I like my Colt Commander.[pistol]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:48:27 PM EDT
[#46]
I have developed a sudden lust for the Kimber CDP.

In a few months, ARlady will prolly suggest a Kimber too!
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 1:56:13 PM EDT
[#47]
If you can afford it, get something from Les Baer.  Springfield and Kimber make really good guns, but Baer is far and away the best.  Stay away from Wilson, his guns are overpriced and the quality is spotty.
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:15:54 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:23:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
kimber supermatch. nothing equals it!
[:)]
View Quote

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HAHAHAHAHHAHAH!!!!

Uggh.  If you want a QUALITY 1911, just avoid the Kimbers altogether.  A top-notch 1911 would be one made by Ed Brown, Les Baer, or the best by Larry Vickers (good luck getting one).  Les Baer would be a great choice for price to quality...and far exceeds anything Kimber clumps together.

Medium price range, probably a Rock River Arms 1911 which is usually same or less price than a Kimber crap, but much higher quality of craftsmanship (there is NO craftsmanship on a Kimber).

For "cheap" I would go with a Springfield.  Their "loaded" versions are nice and are equal to better than Kimber.

Why do I bash Kimber so?  Well, go to a gun shop and compare a Kimber and Les Baer or Ed Brown side by side.  There is NO COMPARISON in quality, fit, etc.  Also, if you notice you have never heard of any PD SWAT Organizations, Federal Agencies, or any military SpecOps selecting Kimber for ANYTHING.  It's because they are made with parts manufactured by the lowest bidder and assembled.

But their Marketing engine is good!  They give away a pistol to anyone who wants to write an article about them.  Hmmmm, what would I say about a free gun?

No offense to you Kimber owners and lovers.  Just go talk to your nearest member of the American Pistolsmiths Guild and ask THEIR opinion.  Ask Col. Jeff Cooper of Gunsite or Clint Smith of Thunder Ranch.  I don't expect you'll hear anything good...
Link Posted: 10/7/2001 2:56:20 PM EDT
[#50]
one more time.....

can we all say K-I-M-B-E-R

supermatch.

if you want to hit what you're shooting at!!!!!

[pistol]
[img]http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1776710&a=13737214&p=54954556[/img]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top